Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half Instructional Series #3: 1949P Half Dollar

Franklin Half Instructional Series #3: 1949P Half Dollar.

This is the third installment of my instructional series on Franklin Halves. Each week (hopefully) I will add an excerpt on one of the coins of the series, and hopefully those of you who are interested in Franklins will add your own observations and pictures. By the end of the series we should wind up with a pretty comprehensive study of the Franklin series, along with some nice pictures as well. And who knows, maybe some other folks will do the same for other series!

Sources for this series generally include “An Analysis of Gem Franklins” by Jack Ehrmantraut and “The Complete Guide for Franklin Halves” by Rick Tomaska – two books which I feel every serious Franklin collector should read

1949P

On the year celebrating the California Centenary, even though the economy was in a doldrums, and the Cold War was at a fever pitch, production of Franklin Halves at the Philadelphia mint reached 5,614,000. I mention this because if you look at mintages for other coins from this year, they are comparatively low to previous issues. However, probably because the Franklin had just made its debut the previous year, mintage was normal for this issue. This is what I would term a semi-key piece in the Franklin series for two reasons. First, most gem coins for this issue came from mint sets, and most gems are toned. We’re not talking pretty toned; we’re generally what most collectors deem unattractive. Another interesting aspect of this issue is that for some reason, white pieces are almost unheard of. A few exist, but they are usually pretty rare and desirable.

Here is an example of toning generally found in 1949P Halves out of mint sets:

Current population numbers from PCGS read as follows:

MS63 and lower - 312 in non FBL and 125 in FBL
MS64 - 393 in non FBL and 619 in FBL
MS65 - 165 in non FBL and 507 in FBL
MS66 - 15 in non FBL and 88 in FBL
MS67 - 0 in FBL

As one looks at the PCGS population reports, we see that this particular issue apparently was not saved up in the same way as the first year. As such, we see that the numbers for MS64 and higher graded pieces is considerably lower than those of 1948, yet another reason why I feel that these pieces are more desirable than their counterparts from the previous year. Full Bell Lines are the norm for this coin with about 60% of the pieces having FBL’s and a full strike. However, having said that, in my mind, you would be well served to look for a truly fully struck piece in this issue, as they exist, but one does start to see the deterioration of the design even at this early stage of mintage. Pieces with bold “Pass and Stow” on the bell and the three wisps of hair are the best ones to get.

Luster on these pieces tends to be rich and deep, however, because of the poor toning qualities, the luster tends to be subdued, therefore once again, a lustrous nicely toned, or a lustrous brilliant piece is very desirable even in MS64FBL. There are no die variations of this issue that have been noted to my knowledge

Prices for MS64FBL coins will range in the $35-$50 range depending on eye appeal. MS65FBL’s can range from $150-$300, again depending on whether these are toned with an appealing pattern or white. MS66FBL have a population of only 88 coins and in my mind, are a very good buy if one can find one that is pleasing in eye appeal. These pieces can start as low as $400 for those toned in greys and browns, to several thousand dollars for white or monster toned specimens. The record price for a 49P in NGC MS66FBL white sold for $5,500 according to Rick Tomaska’s book.

To me, the 1949P issue is one of the more overlooked and underrated issues in the Franklin series and definitely a good coin to have provided that you can find one with attractive eye appeal. You find issues with the toning for this piece, the piece has not gotten all that much notice in the past, and you also have traditionally more collector interest in the companion pieces from Denver and San Francisco for this year. So all in all, this is to an excellent date/mint for those collecting type coins, and for those collecting the entire series, this is one of the coins that you would like to have stand out in your set. Good luck and have fun with Frankies!

A pair of PCGS MS66FBL 49ers - the top from The Birmingham Collection, the bottom from a friend on the board

Comments

• Options
    Great installment Frank.
    I have two 1949-P's in 64 fbl. Very pretty for the mint/yr combo. I have been looking for an attractive 65-fbl for years with absolutely no luck!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question for the Frankophiles. I have 80% complete Franklin half series collected by my grandmother and placed in a contemporary circa 1958 Wayte Raymond green folder. Most of the coins are circulated. I cannot remove any of the coins without destroying the folder, which cerainly adds to the charm of the collection.

My question is:

Is this 1955 Frankie uncirculated (can you tell from this scan)?
    Do the circulated specimens ever tone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    That 55 seems to be uncirc. but, tough to tell from that image..

Great job Puggie. I can only add that a 49p Brilliant in GEM is a tough find, but I believe many are out there waiting to be
    found. In the mint sets I have seen from 49, the P coin tends to tone in a very speckled manner, where as the 49s and 49d
    really don't. I'm not sure why this is and it may just be my own personal observations....

Expect most if not all in Ultra GEMs to be toned as most were pulled from mint sets..
    My 49p:

imageimage

This was one of the Franklins on one of my submissions to PCGs...... Expect to still find HAMMERED Bell Lines
    on this issue.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    My other GEM 49p with speckled toning also:

imageimage
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy...My observations match yours as far as the mint set pieces.
    I would also say that RYK's 55 appears unc with high point rub or a NICE AU58 (wheres MadMarty when you need him?)
  • Options
    Truly superb thread Frank:
    I am saving these on a date by date, mm by mm, analysis. You have done a great job. These are the type of threads that are sorely scarce on this forum.
    I am eaglerly awaiting the data by date research on the proofs.

Again, great job.
  • Options
    Excellant job again Frank keep 'em coming.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys - I'll keep'em coming as long as there's an interest.

As for Rob's question on the 1955, like Lucy stated, that's a hard one to tell from the pic, but it does look original - be sure to check the mouth to see if you have a bugs bunny! More on that in the 55P installment.

As for toning on Franklins, my hunch is that toning patterns on Franklins depend as much on storage of the coins, as on planchet preparation. It seems as though with Franklins you get certain runs from certain mints where the majority of the coins tone a not-so-pretty brown or grey, this seems to be the prevalent case of 1948-55 issues. On the 56-58's however, you tend to see more of a prevalence toward prettier golds, blues, yellows, reds, and orange. While obviously the manner in which the coins were stored and the conditions of storage will be a great determining factor, I believe that planchet preparation, and the care that went into this facet of the minting process is equally as important. Perhaps in these early years the planchets were not rinsed in the same manner, or they were exposed to an over abundance of acid, which then caused the silver to oxydize in a particular way.

Of course this is strictly speculation on my part, but it seems like there is a basis for this hypothesis given the 'style' of toning most prevalent in each of the above mentioned runs and also the lack of brilliant white coins in certain years like 1949, 1951D, and 1953. All further speculation would be most welcome.

I appreciate the additional information provided by Lucy and our bedraggled-father-to-be Mad Monk - keep the commentaries and pictures coming! image

Frank
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank et al. Thanks for the input, and Frank, thanks for the excellent post. If I ever get the time, it would be fun to do one on N.O. gold coins.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thankyou for spending the time on this for us.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! image

I bought a 1949(p) brilliant PCGS-MS65FBL Franklin this morning in the Superior sale. I think it sold around $175 with buyers premium. I was prepared to bid a good bit higher for the coin and was surprised it commanded so little for a blazer- supporting the comments that this date is underrated at the present time.

Also, I believe Rick T. may be mistaken if he mentions the $5500 as the highest sales price known for a white 66FBL of this date. Actually, Registrycoin won at public auction (I believe it was Heritage but not entirely certain) a PCGS-MS66FBL blast white specimen for his former #1 MS set for a good bit more money as I recall. I currently own the coin and do believe it is very special as a blast white high end MS66FBL of this date, although, no doubt it is probably worth less than what was paid for the coin originally. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input Mitch - one of the things about the Franklin series is that because pricing is not standardized via the grey sheet for FBL coins, many dealers who still have not caught on to the series are generally oblivious to actual pricing of the coins. Hopefully some day the Grey Sheet will catch on and things will change, but in the mean time, it can also be advantageous for us collectors because there are pieces out there that sometimes can be had at very reasonable prices, and even raw pieces that, with a trained eye, can be had as an even better numismatic value.

Below is the coin Mitch was referring to - a very nice example of a white Franklin from this date. You will note that the surface of the coin has mellowed ever so slightly on this otherwise white coin. I've seen this type of surface in the past on original coins, and you can see the graduations from this coin, to Lucy's coins, to the coins which I've pictured and you can see how the toning patterns for this particular type coin occurs.

Frank

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I THINK THIS IS TRULY A GREAT SERIES... I can hardly wait for the 1949-D commentary as well as your thoughts with respect to the 1951-s, 52-s, 53-s and 61-d.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ttt
  • Options
    ttt for those of you interested in seeing the previous installments
  • Options
    Thanks Frank!

I'm starting up my MS Frankie collection. I'm looking forward to your next intallation on this series. Meanwhile, I'll search for your previous 2 threads. Thanks again!

-mark

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the Pug says, the 1949-P is yet another date that is mostly found with not so attractive greys and browns out of mint sets, but is slightly more readily found reasonably attractive than the 48, and certainly the 48-D. 1949 mint sets didn't produce that many nicely toned pieces, as also found with the 49-D and 49-S. Another trait with 49-P is that many of them are found with speckled toning.

The most common color found is blue. Here is a coin that has very nice blues, with some gold mixed in, and exhibits somewhat of that speckled look, similar to Lucy's coin posted above (all of these coins posted below are PCGS 66FBL):

Here's another blue toner that has smooth toning, not typical for a 49, but again with that robin's egg blue toning:

Only very occasionally you'll find one with red/orange/green toning. The toning color and quality found on this coin is very rare for a 49, can't remember the last time I've even seen one:

(There are some coins, that no matter what angle you take the picture, don't pick up all the colors, like this one that really has red/orange/green throughout. Coin photography is humbling.)
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    DeletedimageT
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    ....your just killin' me with those color's man !

This weekly feast your treating us to is the bomb man .

I'm waiting till i see all of them

before shooting myself though imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    That last 'un is remarkable for a 49-P!

image.image.image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    remarkable indeed !!
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Yes, very sweet 49P there. But even Daryl's First 49P is a better than average coin.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never collected a Franklin in my life. A few months ago I was approached about buying a "mini-hoard"... which I did.

Perfect timing Frank. I coudn't have asked for a better time to get an education since you started posting about these. As a matter of fact, I had listed on ebay, two full BU rolls of 49D's and 50D's . After reading your posting, I quickly adjusted the auction so I could keep half of them.

I sure am glad I joined these boards.... I would have given away the farm to the high bidders that were "LOW balling". Now some will be preserved in PCGS slabs image

Thanks again, Frank and Lucy and all you people so knowledgeable with the Frankies.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ...you hear that Frank ? You done real good !!

I bet they got some hello'va Franklins up there in heaven !!image
  • Options
    these sure were nice posts
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh, these posts had gone off my radar screen. Thanks for bumping it foxxze.

GORGEOUS '49-P Daryl!!! image

Well, if we're gonna resurrect the '49-P thread here's something I got this week. I'll get it imaged properly in the near future. These are Goldberg's images. The coin is a PCGS MS66FBL.

imageimage
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I have 25 of Frank's installments saved on my laptop. They are all good.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Skyman that is one nice 49-pimage
  • Options
    Thanks Skyman, like your new pick up as well!
  • Options
    D.H ;

could you post some more nice pix ? How about a 50-P ? image
  • Options
    It's interesting that this thread should pop up again today. I literally just got this image of the '49-P emailed to me. I believe it is a much better representation of the coin than the above image. The coin is a PCGS MS66FBL.

EDITED AS IMAGE LOCATION CHANGED.
  • Options

<< <i>It's interesting that this thread should pop up again today. I literally just got this image of the '49-P emailed to me. I believe it is a much better representation of the coin than the above image. The coin is a PCGS MS66FBL.

image >>

I have never seen quite the colors on the reverse of your 49. Very cool!
  • Options

<< <i>D.H ;

could you post some more nice pix ? How about a 50-P ? image >>

Did you check out the Pug's post on 1950-P. I posted a few pics on there.

I have updated the Pug's posts from 1948-P up to 1950-P (I just like to type - "Pug"; fond memories of Frank come back everytime I do).

I didn't see much interest through the responding posts. Looked like the Frankie interest on these boards have waned. By the way, where's Lucy??? If I can get a few hallelujahs or hell yeas on talking Frankies, I'll post some more pics and we can talk Frankies again on these boards.
  • Options
    Lucy has droped out for awhile it seems ...........

As for waining intrest , don`t be dismayed ! In a recent COIN WORLD Newspaper poll ; FRANKLINS were the #3 collected series in the world !!!!!!!!!!!

Trailing only the Morgan Dollar`s and the Statehood Quarter Series in popularity .
  • Options
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed #3. Top 10 definitely. One only has to look how many sets are in the various registries and it is easy to see there is a lot of interest in Frankies.
  • Options
    You bet Skyguy ; Morgans and State Quarters are collected by 71% of all polled - and FRANKLINS are right behind @ 68% !!
  • Options
    I'm a bit surprised by how well the Frankies did in the polls, but great to see.
  • Options

<< <i>Huh, these posts had gone off my radar screen. Thanks for bumping it foxxze.

GORGEOUS '49-P Daryl!!! image

Well, if we're gonna resurrect the '49-P thread here's something I got this week. I'll get it imaged properly in the near future. These are Goldberg's images. The coin is a PCGS MS66FBL.

imageimage >>

Skyguy - what a rip !!!!!
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>Like the Pug says, the 1949-P is yet another date that is mostly found with not so attractive greys and browns out of mint sets, but is slightly more readily found reasonably attractive than the 48, and certainly the 48-D. 1949 mint sets didn't produce that many nicely toned pieces, as also found with the 49-D and 49-S. Another trait with 49-P is that many of them are found with speckled toning.

The most common color found is blue. Here is a coin that has very nice blues, with some gold mixed in, and exhibits somewhat of that speckled look, similar to Lucy's coin posted above (all of these coins posted below are PCGS 66FBL):

Here's another blue toner that has smooth toning, not typical for a 49, but again with that robin's egg blue toning:

Only very occasionally you'll find one with red/orange/green toning. The toning color and quality found on this coin is very rare for a 49, can't remember the last time I've even seen one:
    (There are some coins, that no matter what angle you take the picture, don't pick up all the colors, like this one that really has red/orange/green throughout. Coin photography is humbling.) >>

You know , the rainbow '49 you have there is about as good as it gets .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file