Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC gets tonecoined

there is another thread about a funny rainbow toned washington carver

well here it is ->ebay 3024717107
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=522&item=3024717107added color now in NGC

edited and pushed to top for les

Comments

• Options

<< <i>"Russ is a genius" >>

You'd be surprised at just how close to reality you actually are with that statement.
  • Options
    They say there is a fine line between genius and insanity, so I guess you're right. edited to add image

• Options
    Heheh... good call. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Link to referenced thread.

And, here's the link to the auction where the coin is now in an NGC holder.

As I noted in that thread, NGC has been asleep at the switch lately and has holdered quite a few ot Tonecoin2003's "masterpieces".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Its true, they arent even looking at the coins anymore, just trying to make sure they grade faster than PCGS!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    So the coin has a tonecoin2003 pedigree. Gee, what a surprise.

Bid over a hundred dollars, reserve not met. Personally, I wouldn't give a shill-ing for it.

Clankeye

Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    ttt for barberlover
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope someone takes this thread up across the street. imageimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Whoops I should have checked there first.....I see they are getting Dogged right nowimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Well, applying the logic everyone seems to be using (tonecoin sold a coin that made it in a NGC holder, so NGC holders AT coins), I guess because he sold this coin means that PCGS also holders AT coins:

PCGS Roosevelt Dime
  • Options
    woops
  • Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    I think it has more to do with a certain phrase - market acceptable. It is my belief that both companies assign grades based on what is - market acceptable. It is also my belief that both companies slab coins that have artificial toning - as long as they are - market acceptable. If I am wrong - then someone please correct me.

For anyone to try and point fingers at either company and insinuate that one company is better or worse than the other because of this - well that's just plain foolish.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    Exactly. And some people are now using this as a justification for 90+ day turnaround time at PCGS, trying to claim NGC is just a production line. I should remind people that as late as last summer PCGS was turning around economy submissions in less than 30 days, so I guess those coins weren't actually being graded either.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooo, is this yet another forum member that bought the coin, got it holdered and is now selling it?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, applying the logic everyone seems to be using (tonecoin sold a coin that made it in a NGC holder, so NGC holders AT coins), I guess because he sold this coin means that PCGS also holders AT coins:

PCGS Roosevelt Dime >>

K6AZ- Thanks for the balanced, objective observation.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, applying the logic everyone seems to be using (tonecoin sold a coin that made it in a NGC holder, so NGC holders AT coins), I guess because he sold this coin means that PCGS also holders AT coins:

PCGS Roosevelt Dime >>

Valid point other than the WashingtonCarver has his "signature" look to it (same as all his other "toned" Morgans/Franklins/Peace dollars he is offering).

The PCGS dime you featured from this Seller, PCGS certified does NOT and stands alone among the coins offered from him.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yall want some logic huh?
    I posted this coin on the other board before multiple threads popped up on both boards.
    I knew there are some tough & knowlegeable commem collectors on the other board.
    So I post over there <<<Not only is the blue & red color strange but the pattern is too. I try to think imagine the step by step process of how this coin toned like this and can't think of any kind of holder, album, roll or bag that gives this pattern>>> & that if I was missing something to please educate me.
    Nobody told me Dog97 you are an idiot because that is a genuine, original, natural toned coin. The general consensus was that it was questionable, which is what I was asking in the first place. I though maybe I was seeing things.
    Turning it into a NGC vs PCGS thing is doing the hobby a disservice because the fact is AT coins are in both companies' holders under the guise of Market Acceptability. I buy coins in both holders and as a collector I want my stuff to be as close to real, original, natural or what have you and don't appreciate spending my hard earned $$ on a slabbed coin then seeing an AT one just like it on eBay as a RAINBOW TONED MONSTER with a BIN of $29.99. Dealers should really be concerned; JUST LOOK AROUND YOU-where did all your customers go?
    It's a sad day when AT coins look like the ones in "reputable" holders and coins in "reputable" holders look AT, whether the holder is NGC or PCGS. I used to be able to spot an AT coin a mile away, now I'm not so sure. What the hell is going on here?
    I'm glad we have these boards sponsered by the grading companies to discuss this crap.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    K6AZ, I hear NGC has been just as busy as PCGS and yet it hasnt effected how long it takes to get coins back! What does that tell you?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    It tells me they have their organization down pat.

I'm not going to endlessly argue this with people. There are just as many PCGS "mistakes" as there are NGC. Neither one is perfect, and AT coins do slip by them.
  • Options
    seller is awful ambitious - bid of $444 did not meet reserve
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>seller is awful ambitious >>

Not really. If he were, he'd have done his own images, instead of recycling Tonecoin2003's.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    he tried - see the slab (or was that Teletrades?)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file