Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 S iNDIAN CENT pcgs MS 67 RED

hEY gUYS

The infamous coin really exists.Graded many years ago it is not a typo.......but is it really a 67 red.....check it out in the Bowers and Merena ANA auction

Stewart

www.bowersandmerena.com

Comments

• Options
    link

Check out the video also, homerunhall has some comments.

• Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    MS-67 RD? Says who?
  • Options
    DH does the video for B&M?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think it is RB ?

I see only one little tick on the cheek under the eye. That is a beautiful coin and pop. 1.

Paul
  • Options
    Looks RB and how can HomerunHall say "no marks"? Clearly on the cheek.

Maybe was RD when slabbed and turned?

Edited to add: Doesn't NTC have a ms68 RD out there? image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Stewart, why do you refer to the coin as "infamous"? Does is have a sordid past or something? Are you hoping to buy it for a bargain price of less than $10,000? $30,000? $50,000 image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    >>>MS-67 RD? Says who?

Well PCGS says it is and David Hall even did a video. So its safe to say that it has already gone through the grade guarnatee and PCGS is still standing behind the grade.

>>>but is it really a 67 red.....
    I guess so ... is it really an MS69RD?
  • Options
    I'd have to see it in person before I made any judgement on it... The marks could be on the holder and the color is suspect because of the pic...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They need to hire Shylock to image their IHCs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Coinguy1 - "infamous" because it's lived in the shadows since appearing on the pops. In the March 2002 Longacre's Ledger Rick Snow writes "Has anyone ever seen the 1909-S MS67?" when discussing the only 9 possible upgrades to the Epstein Collection. Many thought this coin was a typo, like one of the 2 1899 68RD's.

Stewart - don't let the 'phone guy' win this one, I want a pic!

These almost always have some poorly mixed copper in the planchet, giving them a "RB" look even though they're really two shades of full red. Stewart's 66RD is gorgeous, will be interesting to see how this one stacks up against it.

edit: thanx for the plug Russ, this is one coin I'd love to image for posterity.

• Options
    That's not a mark on the cheek. That's a tear for all you jealous Mo Fo's!! image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Thanks shylock/Paul. Should I bid on the phone against Stewart?image
  • Options
    LegendLegend Posts: 336
    I may ruin everyones day on the coin!!!! Its my favorite date MS Indian Cent!!! But then theres always that PHONE bidder.......
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • Options
    I have a good New Jersey roadmap Laura, I will find you!

I'd like to see Stewart win it, then pimp & whore it off on Ebay. I'll take pictures of him holding the slab in his superfly outfit.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see Stewart in his standing bid mode already.....can I buy your hand-me-down 66R??

I love it when a impartial arbiter evaluates a coin.......

Record price?? Think it will go over 69K?? I doubt it. Let me beat Stewart to the punch by saying it looks RB, streaky, spotted and weakly struck. Who in their right mind would buy that piece of plastic.......a registry hound????image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    That tick on the cheek could easily be the slab, but what's that above the N of UNITED?

Did David Hall invite a string quartet into his office when he did these videos?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    And what's with that shirt? image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper is very difficult to image re its color; Shylock does the best copper imaging I've seen. OTOH, this image of the 09S is too small to be helpful, period.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylock:

Don't you mean "Did David Hall invite a string quartet into his office when he was pimping and whoring those coins?"

Mark

P.S.: If I had a wolrd class set of copper coins (a'la Stewart) and I decided to sell them--I would require that the company employ Paul to image the coins. His pictures probably would add tens of thousands of dollars to the bids!
    Mark

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did David Hall invite a string quartet into his office when he did these videos?

And what's with that shirt? >>

Did anybody else flash on the ShopAtHome carnival barker while watching that video?

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ - you mean the CoinVault?? Must be an audition tape.

Ditto Shylock as the photomiester.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Fortunately, I can't access these videos with my computer. Any coin with something to the effect of "see place in registry" is "too rich" for me & I don't bid on it. It's a lot like "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Well people, I think that we have hit bottom! First of all, that coin is NOT MS-67 RD. Of course those of you who drink Kool-Aid on a daily basis will not understand what I just said. Instead, you will look right at the label on the slab and say, "it says MS-67 RD right here on the PCGS label". The irony is that it is a beautiful coin and worth the same amount of money whether it's in a slab or raw. Why doesn't anybody else see and understand this???

PS - Don't you think the homerunhall could at least put on a nice dress shirt for the videos? What's up with the Hawaii print shirt? Book em' Dano!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ed, are you saying you have seen the coin in hand, and the grade is not MS67, or are you making this judgement from a scan?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I am making a judgement from the scan.......and the fact that I think it is impossible for that coin to be anything above a 65. I can see disturbances in the field and on the devices. It does not even look full red. This is just another example of grading inflation. Just like the 1804 dollar that went from EF-45 to PF-58 and the numerous other colonial coins that CCU (singapore) has posted recently on this forum. Coins that have gone from AU-50 to PCGS MS-62, etc., etc.

Here's one other thing that really, really troubles me: Homerunhall is peddling (aka pimping/whoreing) this "MS-67" indian and he states in the video, "this is graded MS-67 Red by PCGS". So, let's see here....homerunhall is a major stock holder in PCGS (they slabbed the coin) and he is a major stock holder in B&M (they are selling the coin). Uhhhhh, isn't that a major conflict of interest???

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    How can anyone tell anything from that picture? That is a very sad scan. Remember that picture lie. There could be dust/lint on the slab that would cause it to look like it has problems. On user said that looking at a coin in anything but your prefered lighting conditions in your own hand is the same as sight-unseen. Now, I'm not saying what the grade is as I have not seen it either, but I will say that the only folks who have seen it are B&M, the current owner, & PCGS, at least, there may be more. Until someone, other than PCGS looks at it, I would hold off on calling it anything but what the label says.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Tom makes a lot of sense. The only consistently good imaging of copper I've seen has been done by Shylock. The scan of the 09 S is ****-poor. Accurate color is the toughest thing to scan re copper

Anyone who can say anything about the scan, other than it ***** should refrain from spending his money on coins.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I just watched the video of DH, and I have to say he doesn't fit the profile I have had of him in my head at all. I have never seen him, or heard him speak before. But the video reminds me of a slick used-car salesman, or a door-to-door salesman. Hmmmmm......
  • Options
    Well, I think the coin looks pretty decent, but the price is a little steep already...
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Let's slab and grade David Hall doing this exposee.

I will grade him ms 65 questionable color

Now we need a body bag for David Hall

stewart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file