Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossing to the other side of the street!

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
Yep, joined the NGC collectors society today! I have been submitting in the past under my ANA number, but I have found myself send more and more stuff to them. The 2 1/2 month wait at PCGS for economy and the extra $5 a slab for coins dated (1955-1964) forced me to do it. I would love to keep sending everything to PCGS, but $5 a coin is $5 a coin! Plus the last economy order was turned around in less than 30 days!!!
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've been migrating over too and using my ANA number. I may just pony up for the CS membership, though, since it includes some freebies for NCS!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Did you make sure bulldog lick them coins clean before submitting?image
  • Options
    And you can check where your order is on-line! But I have to say I really enjoy talking to the receptionist there! She is always very nice and helpful!

• Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    I've been a member (NGC boards) for a few months. I've never submitted to NGC. I got a horrible title over there.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Marty, I can understand why you are doing this. I have coins in now at PCGS under economy that I don't even remember what they are
    anymore. Its ridiculous! Any other business that did something like that to their customers would be in financial trouble by now....Ken
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Plus the last economy order was turned around in less than 30 days!!! >>

Same here - including shipping time. Until PCGS gets economy turnaround times back to a reasonable level, the stuff I'm planning to sell is going to NGC.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    they received my order on 3/20/03 and shipped it on 6/04/03 ... i should receive my coins tomorrow or saturday yeeeeeeeeehhhhaaa

bye,bye PCGS
  • Options
    I'll tell you, I tried talking to David and PCGS. Just like Russ said the common stuff, the for sale stuff, the 90% of my orders stuff. To the tune of about $4,000 a month. Right now I have over 20 orders in at PCGS with a couple getting real close to 60 days! No more. DO YOU SEE THIS DAVID!!! The common for sale stuff is now all going to NGC!

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    They better get their acts together or keep losing more customers.
  • Options
    marty, have you ever submitted a coin worth more than $300 via the economy service? if yes, how was it graded?
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Becoming a very common story here and elsewhere. I think PCGS thought they could push people to the higher cost grading service and instead found they have pushed them out the door?! On the 3rd, R.M. posted a notice across the street that they are grading and shipping the coins within 12 working days for the Early Bird level and the Economy submissions are being completed in 21 working days. Using NGC, you can turn your inventory over 3 times in the same time it takes to get the submission out of PCGS. That is a very significant difference.

• Options
    Most of the stuff I submit falls into the $20-$200 range, I have submitted coins under economy and hit a good coin. They grade it just like any other. I an very happy with PCGS's service, jut not the turn around time! I submit $4,000 a month, it's really hard to tie up 8 grand a month because PCGS is running slow on economy orders.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Been a member there, and always treated well. The grading is fair and quite consistent. I think having two competing companies is a good thing for all of us, but most of my submissions have been headed across the street for some time now. I just renewed my membership at both services last week. As for the grading, only two of the coins I've submitted to NGC have subsequently been crossed to PCGS and both crossed on the first pass at the same grade. One was a 1966 SMS JFK in MS68 Ucam (PCGS pop4), and the other was a 1967 SMS Jeff in MS67 Ucam (PCGS pop7).
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageCan't beat the coffee mug they sent as a present around Christmas!! It's the only one I use now!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    I started sending my stuff to NGC, too. I like their submission system and tracking system a lot better.

Has anyone used their photo service? Looks good to me!
    Maurice
    Lurking with intent to loom
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the bull market of the late 1980's the same thing happened.
    Way too many coins being submitted for graders to get to promptly.
    As the market got hotter the turn around times were in the 2 month and even 3 month range. Nothing has changed.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file