Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Write an auction description for this 1917D Type One quarter!

Write an auction desciption for this SLQ! Try as best you can to write a glowing desciption so it will sell for big bucks!

(assume the reverse is as worn as the obverse)
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    I can't do it. I live by do a good deed, get a good deed. Guess that why I'm not a dealer. image
    Glenn
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @K!!! THIS COIN IS FOR BRADDICK!!! BID NOW!!! ACG MS67FH!!! L@@k!!!!!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't do it. I live by do a good dead, get a good dead. Guess that why I'm not a dealer. image
    Glenn >>

A good dead? You mean deed? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Sorry, I'll fix it. image
  • Options
    Must be some gothic thoughts waves I've been getting today! image
    Glenn
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1916-D Standing Liberty Quarter. The discovery piece, originally carried as a pocket piece by the designer, Hermon MacNeil. Although heavily worn and now dateless, this piece is accompanied by a handwritten letter, signed by MacNeil, attesting to the coin's original date. The letter discusses the circumstances of the coin's production. Reportedly, 24 pieces were struck. All others were supposedly melted.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    "Type I Standing Liberty Quarter highly experienced!! The United States of America minted these coins with the sole purpose of having its citizens use them in commerce, and here is a not so shining example!! Inexpensive, desireable and controversial, this coin reminds us of and age not so long ago when our populace cherished these coins, as 25 cents was a significant amount of money.

The controversy of an exposed Liberty adds to the historical nature of this cherish relic of a day gone by. This example, well worn, but well-loved, will be a integral part of any budget minded collector's treasue chest!"

Ya know, I didn't even use the word "original" or "monster".
    Wondo

• Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    The type one standing liberty quarter is one of the most desired types in 20th century US coinage. If you look closely you may notice Miss Liberty has the wind blowing through her hair and is shirtless. Within a few months after the release the mint quickly altered the design to have her shirted with perfect curls. Later on with the coin in the 1920s it became apparent that the design allowed the date to be easily worn off. There were changes later on with the type two that protected the date better during circulation. Denver type ones are rarer than the more common ones from Philly. No reserve, free shipping and full 7 day return privilege if not satisfied for any reason.image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

Dripping with pavement gray toning, Liberty is highlighted by evening hues of brackish splendor. The strike does not intrude upon the eyes appreciation--for there isn't one to speak of. Fields of worn silver bring to mind the back of an elegant spoon, only without the shininess that so often detracts and confuses. This coin would fit in any collection. Or for that matter would still fit in modern day vending machines. A rumored pocket piece of the late great Al Jolson, it was said he hurled it into an audience member's left eye, after a drunken and lewd request for Swanny River. Don't miss out on this rare beauty. Cuz we're sure sick of looking at it.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    How about,

"Nice original coin, worn with the use of history for nearly a century. An excellent coin for your album, or for your type set."
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Clankeye,

Its Suwanee River.
    Wondo

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    1916-D Standing Liberty Quarter. The discovery piece, originally carried as a pocket piece by the designer, Hermon MacNeil. Although heavily worn and now dateless, this piece is accompanied by a handwritten letter, signed by MacNeil, attesting to the coin's original date. The letter discusses the circumstances of the coin's production. Reportedly, 24 pieces were struck. All others were supposedly melted.

SOLD!!!!...hehe Andy,Your a nature born coin dealer I think. image

hues of brackish splendor. ...without the shininess that so often detracts and confuses
    Don't miss out on this rare beauty. Cuz we're sure sick of looking at it.

LMAO. Ye royal scribe amuses and delights with seemingly uncanny ease.
    Thou must asketh the king for a raise. Or a better cot to sleep on.image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    AG-4
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Own a coin that has passed through the hands of rich and famous! This 1917-d Type I Standing Liberty Quarter, is rumored to be the coin held by FDR after his 1917 Assistant Secretary of the Navy appointment by President Wilson. Contrary to what son James said, the coin was never attached to FDR'S boat anchor for good luck. We regret that the reverse of this rare and historic piece of Americana that is so well preserved is not pictured to quash such rumors. This rare beauty is free of barnicles.

After the events of 1945, the coin was mishandled (unfortunately, more than once), but had moments of brilliance. The coin made its film debut in Sunset Blvd as the legendary Silent Screen Star Norma Desmond won the coin playing cards. This coin is better known for its role in Doctor Strange Love as it was liberated from a vending machine by a US Army man at the direction of Peter Sellers. This rarity again slipped back into circulation only to be discovered again.

Is $1,995 too much for a coin held by a four term President and the Queen of the Silver Screen? You decide...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Raw ACG MS70
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    NEVER BEFORE HAS A COIN LIKE THIS BEEN OFFERED AT AUCTION!

Beautiful 1917D quarter- perfect for the type collector! We can honestly say that this is the first time a quarter of this date, in this grade, has been offered at auction! This coin was once part of the great coin collection of Louis Elaisberg, before he used it to buy dinner one evening. Type One SLQs are always VERY popular due to the bare breast on Liberty (Woo-hoo!) and this coin is in nearly PERFECT condition with NO major flaws to speak of! Beautiful silvery gray original surfaces. If it’s a lovely 1917D Standing quarter you want, bid aggressively on this one! Once it is gone it will be a LONG time before you see one quite like it at auction again! We should see some VERY spirited bidding on this quarter- you can forget about the Greysheet on this one!
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dripping with pavement gray toning, Liberty is highlighted by evening hues of brackish splendor. The strike does not intrude upon the eyes appreciation--for there isn't one to speak of. Fields of worn silver bring to mind the back of an elegant spoon, only without the shininess that so often detracts and confuses. This coin would fit in any collection. Or for that matter would still fit in modern day vending machines. A rumored pocket piece of the late great Al Jolson, it was said he hurled it into an audience member's left eye, after a drunken and lewd request for Swanny River. Don't miss out on this rare beauty. Cuz we're sure sick of looking at it. >>

Too FIng funny!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    The last coin offered up for sale from my late husband Harold's collection. Oh, I forgot to thank all of you so much for helping me liquidate his treasures in my previous auctions! Isn't it a wonderful morning? All the birds are singing, the air is full of the crisp smell of Jasmine from the garden. Anyway, this coin was Harold's most treasured. He kept it in his pocket the entire time we were married to remind him of our first date back in the late 20's. You see, we met at the local church, Our Lady By the Interstate Presbeterian Church of The Mormon Tabernacle. We were so young and full of life back then...sigh. Well, this coin was removed from his pocket by me at the funeral parlor just before Harold took his eternal dirt kn....uh...his final journey. I'm sure he is preparing for me to join him. I don't know how to grade coins, but my neighbor, who is a Deacon at our Church is pretty good with coins and he says it is in XF-40...whatever that means?! Everyone has been so nice with my previous auctions so I'll start this off at 1 Dollar and let you guys decide what it's worth. Have a wonderful day!

P.S. Shipping and handling is 15.00, no returns, certified funds, don't bid if you don't intend to follow through...I've been burned by several jerks lately!

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not a coin grader so check the scan image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file