Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC censored my post!

I respectfully asked on the "ask NGC" board what NGC would do with a coin that was deemed "way overgraded" by Larry Goldberg who
is handling the auction for my collection. Lest I say anything wrong, I thought they had a "grade guarantee" similar to PCGS.

Any comments?
Nicht mehr Münzen-für jetzt!

Comments

• Options
    jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    You seem like a nice guy Barney but you are sometimes lacking in finesse. Why not just email them rather than post something embarassing in a public forum? I have no idea what coin is involved but dealers often say that sort of thing when they are buying.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    You confront and attack their integrity as a reputable grading company when you ask a hypothetical question using hyperbole by saying "way overgraded"...almost like asking your Dentist what happens if you pull all the wrong teeth...
    Using a little better tact in your question and they may have given you a response.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    NGC deletes any kind of posts that put them in a bad light. They did it to me last year, on my first post there, when I described my experience with an 1882-CC Morgan that they graded as 65, when in fact it was a 64. Doesn't sound like their censorship policy has changed much.
  • Options
    I guess NGC fears the truth where as PCGS allows freedom of speach.

Let's see if they censor THIS ONE.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barney- What did you post and what part did NGC censor?image
  • Options
    WOW BILLimage. I'll bet that don't last long.
    AL(Copperhead)
    Gotta love them Mercs
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ask NGC forum is a "moderated" forum. Posts don't appear for a day or two until NGC has a chance to read and respond to the post. If Barney posted his question recently, my guess is that NGC hasn't read it yet. The moderators that typically respond are still at Long Beach. It is kind of like trying to post a question for David Hall on any day other than Tuesday. I doubt if NGC has actually censored Barneys post.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The ask NGC forum is a "moderated" forum. Posts don't appear for a day or two until NGC has a chance to read and respond to the post. If Barney posted his question recently, my guess is that NGC hasn't read it yet. The moderators that typically respond are still at Long Beach. It is kind of like trying to post a question for David Hall on any day other than Tuesday. I doubt if NGC has actually censored Barneys post. >>

RIGHT.
    (But it's easier not knowing this simple fact and slam NGC instead. I suppose it's more fun too.)
    False conclusions generate more press, especially the negative ones.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I missed the part about the "ask NGC" board. Oh well that's what I get for responding to posts before I have had my coffee. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Barney
    As boiler78 stated you need to give them a couple of days. I have found that if for some reason NGC will not put up a post they will reply to you with a PM or email explaining why they didn't.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    While there seems to be a reasonable explanation for Barney's post not appearing yet, I can tell you they do on occasion delete posts they don't like. They did it to me, and my post was on their US Coin Forum. But, if you read their TOS carefully, it is stated that they retain the right to edit and/or delete any material they feel is not appropiate. I guess MS64 Morgans that they grade 65 falls into that category.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    If i were giving the public a free forum, i would be loath to allow a post slamming my product, especially when it's "someone else said"....and when their is a potentially hidden adgenda by the speaker (getting a consignor to put a super low reserve is a potential objective.....auction houses make more money when the coin sells as opposed to when the consignor buys it back....which also makes the auction house look less than competent.)
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It's funny how things are in the eye of the beholder. One of the reasons I like the forums over is because they moderate them. The guys are right the postings on that particular forum take a couple of days. Unfortunately the crap that gets slung around over there by the comic kiddies has ruined parts of the forum. Over here Carol would have booted those clowns.

The style is different over there in the coin forums. Except for an occasional whine, NGC employees participate in the boards and are quick to answer questions. I don't think PCGS is set up to do that. It sounds like the people responsible for that here have lots of other things to do.

Barney, my guess is that you will get a full explanation of the grade guarantee. It sounds like Larry Goldberg won't be invited to any NGC parties soon. Why didn't you just email NGC rather than drag Larry into this?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd discuss this issue privately with NGC before I would go public with it like this. Larry Goldberg stuck his neck out a bit by telling you that he thought the coin was grossly overgraded. It would be best to go though private channels before you take this to the public.

All grading services make mistakes. Let them try to correct it first before you tell the world.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost 100% guaranteed you will get an answer on that question shortly. NGC doesn't sweep stuff like that under the rug and expect it to go away. They address it quickly and don't let bad feelings build up that would endanger their reputation for excellent customer service.
  • Options
    barneybarney Posts: 205
    And this is why I want nothing more to do with coins. Everyone here is perfect. I'm not.

Adios

Who ever is in charge go ahead and delete my icon. I will post no more nor will I go under a pseudonym.

Nicht mehr Münzen-für jetzt!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HUH?

You asked for opinions. I didn't see anything out of line or even holier than thou. Have a nice sleep, a cup of joe and reconsider in the morning.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    "Adios Who ever is in charge go ahead and delete my icon. I will post no more nor will I go under a pseudonym."

We believe you, Barney. We believe you.

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    The HepKitty gets Censored alot on the NGC CGC comic forum..... but for different reasons....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    NGC will allow criticism on their forums. Back in the beginning of their forums we were talking about who to better NGC and I made a bunch of very critical (yet truthful) stabs at NGC. They left the post. They also responded to the post and addressed the issues.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And this is why I want nothing more to do with coins. Everyone here is perfect. I'm not.

Adios

Who ever is in charge go ahead and delete my icon. I will post no more nor will I go under a pseudonym.

Let me see if I got this one correct... Barney jumps the gun and does something that several of us feel he should have done differently. He posts here about it, and several members tactfully respond with a contrarian opinion to his. Then, Barney stamps his feet, slams the door and cries the injured party?

If I got this one correct, then I gotta tell you guys that I'm seriously scratching my head right now at the attitudes that get floated around here all to often!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭
    I asked a question on NGCs moderated forum. They did answer it, but left out important parts of what I had written that changed the context of the question quite a bit. I left their forum shortly after that and rarely visit anymore.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barney,
    And this is why I want nothing more to do with coins.
    For information on selling your coins, please visit my website.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file