Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1776 Continental Curency

Found it metal detecting in an area where it could be the real McCoy. Is there an easy way to determine if it's a fake?
If not how would one go about getting it authenticated?
Thanks for any input

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Can you provide a pic? How badly is it corroded? If any, your best bet for authentication is ANACS, they'll authenticate most damaged coins.

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    This one of mine is a fake

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    So what is the give away by looking at a picture?
    Or is it just years and years of looking at them. I'll post a picture tomorrow or the next day.
  • Options
    The coin u have is probably re-strike... it could be from 1876 or just a plain old counterfeit. In 1876 (the centenial) thousands and thousands were minted. The chances that it is real is very slim, but there is always a very small posablitity it is reall... but dont count on it.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I belive my is a cast copy with a plating that is peeling in areas. The rim is the area to look at IMO. Look forward to your pic.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The surfaces on 66Tbird's coin are all wrong. This coin has a casted, "sand mold" type finish, which is indicative of a cast copy, not a struck coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file