Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Contest for Young Collectors - Win Lots of Coins!

PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
I would like to sponsor a contest for the collecting youth of this forum.

The prizes are as follows:

FIRST PRIZE: 10 Different date Indian Head Cents plus 1 MS Indian Head Cent

First_Prize

SECOND PRIZE: 7 Different date Indian Head cents plus 1 XF/AU Indian Head Cent

Second_Prize

THIRD PRIZE: 5 Different date Indian Head Cents plus 1 Flying Eagle Cent

Third_Place

ALL coins will grade at least GOOD, with each winner receiving at least 2 FINES or Better. The coins will be nice coins – no JUNK! I swear on my cat’s claws that this is true.

RULES: ALL ENTRANTS MUST BE 16 YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER. EACH ENTRANT WILL SUBMIT AN ESSAY OF NO MORE THAN ONE TYPED PAGE ON SOME TOPIC THAT HAS TO DO WITH COIN COLLCTING. THE ESSAY CAN BE FICTION OR NON-FICTION. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY ME BY EMAIL or PM on or BEFORE 12:00 MIDNIGHT, NOVEMBER 6, 2002. ADULTS MAY SUBMIT THEIR CHILDREN’S ENTRIES, IF THEY SO WISH.

Members of the forum can vote if they request to participate. But, I will select the winners from the 5 entries that receive the greatest number of votes. I reserve the right to award additional coins as “honorable mentions”. THE WINNING ESSAYS WILL BE POSTED ON THIS FORUM.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for your attention. The cat is taking his 4th afternoon nap. My wife fed him a short time ago. It was a one bandaid day for my younger son - I told him not to tease the cat when he (the cat) is eating.image

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds cool! I can write this while I'm writing my coin research paper image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Bummer to bad I'm 18. It sounds like a neat thing to do.
  • Options
    I've brought this to the top. People can now link to the first prize:

First_Prize
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'll see if either of my boys want to enter. Stephen is 10 (and was at one point kobracoins on this forum until he became a nuisance) and Scott is 8. I could (err... I mean they) could use some indians!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Second prize photos now available.

Second_Prize

Thank you.

OOPS! I'll have to replace the 2nd 1903 with a different date - all dates MUST be different.
  • Options
    Excellent Steven - let me know if there's some way I can help.

Frank
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that's a great idea! An chance you could put the winning essay up?

I wish PCGS would sponsor more YN things. I know we would support it.
    Doug
  • Options

OK, the third prize is now available for viewing (except I left out one coinimage). It will be there when the prize is awarded.

Third_Place

Thank you for your attention.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Pushkin - What a wonderful thing to do for our young collectors. For this

act of generosity and kindness you are awarded the Bears

coveted"GROWL OF APPROVAL"" Well done Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

Thanks Bear,

But PLEASE don't growl too loud. The cat is very sensitive and I wouldn't want you to scare him.image
  • Options
    I dont think your cat would be scared of anything including a bear.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Pushkin,
    Nice cat and even nicer generosity on your part. I hope you find enough YMs to get a good response.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Great idea!! Took my son to ANA (he's 11) and he had a great time participating in the YN auction and basically exhausted me out!! I will see if he is up to it!! Also, thanks for giving enough time for people to deal with their busy schedules. Between my son;s sixth grade homework and tracel hockey 4-5 days per week, not much time in between everything!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    Pushkin: I will donate 3 ASE's (2002) if you care to take them.Just pm me.
    leon
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Pushkin,

I like the concept. Do you belong to a local coin club? I believe we are almost neighbors, and I would be interested in visiting a club with membership of your caliber. I too like contributing to the younger numismatist(s) and try to donate coins for those purposes for each show I attend. Maybe I can contribute something to your contest, providing, it is not limited to copper. If you are interested, my pm is functional and my email address is in my profile. Thanks for consideration, AND, if you are soliciting or care to have input in the judging of essays (or at least are amenable to discussion on the selection of the essays) I am also offering whatever input appropriate.

Noticing the cut-off date, have you intentionally coincided it with the BCC the following weekend, or just tying up loose ends prior to attending. (BTW, it is looking more and more like I may not be able to make it; my significant other always seems to come up with some MORE SIGNIFICANT, in her eyes, way to spend my collecting budget. I'm tempted to come down, if only to meet you guys, but I can't finalize that yet.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Pushkin, I like the initiative and applaud your effort. How can other forum members help? I will be happy to donate some prize material if you need/want it. Just PM me.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    Great idea! This is a perfect way to use this forum! As others have said, let me know if I can be of assistance in any way
    Home brew is best - Never drink alone
  • Options
    The following forum members have been kind enough to donate additional prizes.

Fairlaneman

Paultjuno

Silverandvinyl

Many thanks to these members - I'm sure the winners will very much appreciate their efforts. I will post a complete list of the additional prizes in a few days - recovering from a bad cold and just managing minimal posts. image

Other members, please help by bringing this thread ttt once or so a day so that we can get lots of youthful entrants.

Thanks again. (Aren't Maine Coon kittens just great?)
  • Options
    ttt

There are some real nice prizes being offered by others, in addition to the Indian Head cents! image

Please contact or encourage your young collector friends to participate.image

Thank you for your attention. I found some matted hair on the cat today - it was a one bandaid fiximage. Those long retractable claws are super sharp.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    push for Pushkin
    Gilbert
  • Options
    ttt

Lets not forget the young collectors out there. Prizes from FOUR forum members await them. PLEASE do all you can to generate interest.

Thanks much,

Thank you for your attention. The cat is running around the house looking for phantum prey. I think I'll hold up in the "powder room" until things settle down and he tires himself out - don't want to end up as prey.image Probably should get him a couple adult turkeys or an ostrich so that he has something "worthy" to hunt.image
  • Options
    Pushkin:Just let me know how you want me to handle my donation.
    leon
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pushkin:

Stuff in Mail Monday or Tuesday. Certainly hope there will be many participants.

Great Idea.

Ken
  • Options
    Do you think the young collectors might be interested in some Darkside freebies? Sorry I know this is the US coin forum but I would like to offer a contribution and Drakside is my best way.

Let mr know.

ps: fabulous Jester, great way to promote younger interest !!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options

Newbiecollector,

Darkside participation is always welcome - the whole idea is to promote coin collecting in an as inclusive way as possible. Would love to have Darkside participation.

Many thanks.image
  • Options
    ttt

The following members have generously offered to donate some additional prizes to the contest:

Newbiecollector - 6-8 varied world coins (our appreciation to the Darkside)!

Silverandvinyl - 3 ASE's (2002)

Paultjuno - Proof 68 grade Franklin half

Fairlaneman – Various coins

Rlinn – Coins to be determined

Many thanks to all for their generosity. If I missed anybody, please let me know.

Please keep getting the word out about the contest. image
  • Options
    I will post the coins to you tomorrow.... maybe a few more than 6-8....
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    A new reply for two reasons:

First is is ttt, of course.

second I have decided to throw about 15-20 darkside in the pot.

I said two reasons didn't I, well I was mistaken.

I also hope more young collectors will sign up......... AND.... that Pushkin can forgive me for giving him the problem of how to sort my contribution.

1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Are forum member's grandchildren eligible -- or not? Thanks
  • Options
    I will be sure to send you a PM with my entry. Thank you for offering a great contest to us young 'uns and thank you also for all the donations.
    ---Skylar

send me something nice image
    i love surprises (nice ones like coins or chick-fil-a gift certificates)

"People my hate you while you are alive, but they will love you when you're dead."

---I said that actually
  • Options

Neptune,

All young collectors are eligible.

Thepunkrockguy - thanks for your entry.

Everybody - the first entry has been received!!! image

Lets see a lot more so we can disribute all the great prizes from so many donors!image

Thank you for your attention. The cat has been very busy this evening chasing prey (his toy dog).image
  • Options
    Hello,
    I am a young collector from India. I am very much interested in USA coins. Can i know if i am eligible for this and how can i participate in this contest. What is expected of me.

Bye,
    Nanda
  • Options
    Pushkin:

The stuff is on the way to you. Besides the coins a couple of reference books were added also.

Come on YN's, Get Your Entries In.

Ken
  • Options
    MY entry is officially in!!!
    ---Skylar

"People my hate you while you are alive, but they will love you when you're dead."

---I said that actually
  • Options
    My entry is also in....
  • Options
    Push

My coins went out to you today, I also threw in a couple of CoinWorld slabs that I picked up @ Long Beach, just let me know when you get them.image

Michael

MW Fattorosi Collection
  • Options
    ttt Maybe some of the board members could share this online event with YNs at their local coin clubs.
  • Options
    imageimage
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    just a super and generous idea Stephen! My 11 year old returns from a 3 day school nature trip tomorrow and I will indeed tell him about...after he tells me of HIS experienceimageimageimageimageimage
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options

Silverandvinyl,

Is your not PM working? I've sent you several emails with my mailing address?image

Just checking.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.image
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    ttt

Time is running out - Please be sure that the entrants are working on their entries.image
  • Options
    Up Again image
  • Options
    ttt

There are some real nice additional prizes - I've received some great European coins (Newbiecollector) and slabbed Ikes (Frattlaw) from forum members to add to the prize pot.

PLEASE get your entries in.image

Thanks to all additional prize donors - I'll get a list of donors and new prizes put together soon - but youngsters, don't miss out on this opportunity - the prizes are just great!
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Pushkin: You helped me out with a prior contest I conducted for kids and I would like to return the favor. Send me some kids' addresses when you have your entrants -- or yours via PM -- and I will be delighted to send along some nice common, but full horn Buffs and perhaps a few other coins ...
  • Options
    just wondering but what coins are in the 1st place pot? 2nd? 3rd? so far. i know that there are alot of generous donations but i havent found out who wins what.
    ---Skylar

---I said that actually
  • Options

The original prizes are listed at the beginning of this thread. Additionally, there will be a slabbed IKE for each of the three top winners, some very nice Euro coins for each of the three (and a few more Darkside coins), and maybe some runner-up prizes (I'd like to give some additional prizes to runner-ups if possible).

I probably won't have time to be more specific until this weekend. Also, there are supposed to be some more prizes, but I haven't received the additional coins yet. I may throw in some modern quarter proofs, and possbily a V-nickel for each winner - don't know yet.

So, you may have to wait until Saturday or Sunday for a complete list.image Each of the top 3 prizes will consist of at least 10+ coins.
  • Options

Of course, if some of the later donations that come in include some really fabulous coins - well, I'm off to an extended vacation in the Caymen Islands with the cat (just kidding - really).image
  • Options
    ttt
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Stephen, additional prize coins are on the way to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file