Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: You throw some coins in a trunk...

You throw some coins in a trunk, then place the trunk in the attic for the sole purpose of toning the coins. After a couple of years, you go up to the attic, dig the trunk out, and open it to find some knock out toned coins. Are the coins AT?

-David

Comments

• Options
    If you throw the coins in the trunk with the express purpose of toning them, and store them in a warm environment where toning is the optimal product, then the coins were artificially toned. Now, if you dropped some coins in a trunk, didn't know they were there for a long while, and upon cleaning the trunk out, you found that the coins had toned, I guess that would be NT.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    You throw a thousand white Morgans into a canvas bag, put them in a vault in the basement for decades and later find that you have some very attractiely toned silver dallars. Are they AT or NT?image

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we need to change the terminology to intentionally NT vs. unintentionally NT. How one would distinguish the two during grading is impossible, but for the sake of this argument, we can make that distinction.

Isn't all toning AT technically speaking? Coins are not naturally colored, so anything that happens post-mint, has to be AT, whether it happens "naturally" intentionally or accidentally.

The Statue of Liberty is green. Copper is red/brown. Is she AT or NT?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what they look like; if they look ok, they're natural, if they look funky, they're AT

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    They're AT. All toning happens by natural processes (whether they're environmental or chemical). The difference between AT and NT is the intent. If you put them in a box in your attic just to save them, that's NT. If you do it with the intention of toning them, that's AT. And no, there's no way to tell the difference, in that case. But it's still not NT, IMHO.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

NT or not, if they look AT then they won't be "market acceptable". End of story!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Why would this make a difference?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Lets look at this the way it'd happen to me.
    I throw some blast white coins in a trunk, place them in my attic and leave them there a few years.
    Upon retreiving them, they are all heavily toned.
    But by then, collecting interests have changed again, and everybody wants blast white coins again.

Ray
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    #4....they'd be Junk in the Trunkimage
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    "for the sole purpose of toning"-intent
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>You throw a thousand white Morgans into a canvas bag, put them in a vault in the basement for decades and later find that you have some very attractiely toned silver dallars. Are they AT or NT?image

Dennis >>

That would be NT. You didn't put them in the bag for the purpose of toning them.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Intent is NOT the deciding factor. Method is it, NOT intent.

I think ACCELERATING the process is the deciding factor; as in direct exposure to high levels of chemical and or baking them.

How many people bought Wayte-Raymond books to tone their coins beautifully? Are these AT coins? I think not.
  • Options

<< <i>If you throw the coins in the trunk with the express purpose of toning them, and store them in a warm environment where toning is the optimal product, then the coins were artificially toned. Now, if you dropped some coins in a trunk, didn't know they were there for a long while, and upon cleaning the trunk out, you found that the coins had toned, I guess that would be NT. >>

By your definition, if I were looking at a coin, there is absolutely no way for me to tell between an AT and an NT coin...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This discussion borders on the nonsensical... just how fine can a hair be split? Now AT depends on intent? Certainly artificial toning is intended... usually by the introduction of chemicals. However, if toning occurs in an album of a collector, than I guess that is AT as well, since they were placed there intentionally. What absolute rubbish. The argument progresses from the sublime to the ridiculous. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Intent is NOT the deciding factor. Method is it, NOT intent.

I think ACCELERATING the process is the deciding factor; as in direct exposure to high levels of chemical and or baking them.

How many people bought Wayte-Raymond books to tone their coins beautifully? Are these AT coins? I think not. >>

What method of toning is not "natural"? They all are. The only difference is the intent. If you spill a chemical on a coin (which has happened to me with change lying around), there's nothing artificial about that. It's a natural process. The speed with which it happens is irrelevant. What matters (and what everyone who debates whether a coin was AT or NT seems to be looking for) is whether or not the toning was put there intentionally. The reason something gets designated AT has nothing to do with the speed with which it was done. AT gets flagged because you can tell it was done on purpose.

And putting your coins in a book to preserve them sounds like NT, to me.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>You throw some coins in a trunk, then place the trunk in the attic for the sole purpose of toning the coins. After a couple of years, you go up to the attic, dig the trunk out, and open it to find some knock out toned coins. Are the coins AT?

-David >>

Replace the word **toning*...to **storing**.......?!?!?!?
    ..It makes a world of difference.......!!!!!
    The intent is the deed.......the result is debatable.
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you throw the coins in the trunk with the express purpose of toning them, and store them in a warm environment where toning is the optimal product, then the coins were artificially toned. Now, if you dropped some coins in a trunk, didn't know they were there for a long while, and upon cleaning the trunk out, you found that the coins had toned, I guess that would be NT. >>

By your definition, if I were looking at a coin, there is absolutely no way for me to tell between an AT and an NT coin... >>

Just like a lot of other situations, it's often difficult to tell intent. But you have to admit that what collectors look for is whether or not it appears someone messed with a coin on purpose. NT can't possibly mean simply that it was done through a natural process, because chemical processes in and of themselves are natural.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    What if......

I'm buried with my entire coin collection.....

Years later my heirs dig me up to cash in on the coins.....

AT or NT ? image
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    That would be NT. You didn't put them in the bag for the purpose of toning them.

Yeah, but I think at times there is a fine line between AT and NT. Regardless of intent, the coins get toned by the same process.

JMO of course, and I am in no way condoning the act of ATing coins.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭
    Gosh, this is such a fun topic! Certainly it always draws a crowd. Thanks.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT coefficient is directly proportional to time

AT coeffecient is indrectly proportional to time
  • Options
    Very good, Dave. And I concur.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    In my opinion, they were artificially toned, whether they were accidentally or intentionally left in the trunk (edited to add: and attic). The reason is because they were stored by means other than those intended for coins.image
  • Options

<< <i>What if......

I'm buried with my entire coin collection.....

Years later my heirs dig me up to cash in on the coins.....

AT or NT ? image >>

1) You presumably didn't bury the coins to tone them, so the coins themselves would be NT.
    2) You would definitely be NT (but I don't think that particular chemical process is as aesthetically appealing with humans. image)

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Natural toning is the formation of oxides, sulfides, or other compounds on the surfaces of a coin as the result of gaseous compounds that are present in the ambient atmosphere where coins are placed (1) for purposes consistent with their intended use in commerce, or (2) for storage in a manner traditionally accepted by numismatists.

Artificial toning is the formation of oxides, sulfides, or other compounds on the surfaces of a coin by any process other than that which causes natural toning.
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean to be rude, but this discussion is ridiculous.

All toning is the same. It all happens from the same chemical reaction(s.) There is no way of telling if a coin was intended to tone or if it toned without direct action taken by a person.

I really do think this AT vs. NT debate is one of the rare problems in numismatics that was actually created by US!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't mean to be rude, but this discussion is ridiculous.

All toning is the same. It all happens from the same chemical reaction(s.) There is no way of telling if a coin was intended to tone or if it toned without direct action taken by a person.

I really do think this AT vs. NT debate is one of the rare problems in numismatics that was actually created by US! >>

All toning is not the same.

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file