Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: You throw some coins in a trunk...

You throw some coins in a trunk for safe keeping, then decide to go ahead and put the trunk in the attic to get the trunk out of the way. A couple of years later, you remember those coins that you have up in the attic. You go dig out the trunk and open it up to find knock out toned coins. Are these coins AT?

-David

Comments

• Options
    I think it wouldn't be considered as AT in the sense that we view it now. As long as there was no actual intention to tone the coins, most people wouldn't throw a fit over it. It may be a different story if the coins are toned the same way as injections and other methods of purposely toning a coin.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as AT or NT, just Market Acceptable and Non.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what they look like; if they look ok, they're natural, if they look funky, they're AT

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    "for safe keeping"-intent
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

AT or not, if they look NT then they are "market acceptable". End of story!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Not AT. If there was no intent to tone them, then that's natural toning, IMHO.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the thread is a repeat .. I repeat...
    This discussion borders on the nonsensical... just how fine can a hair be split? Now AT depends on intent? Certainly artificial toning is intended... usually by the introduction of chemicals. However, if toning occurs in an album of a collector, than I guess that is AT as well, since they were placed there intentionally. What absolute rubbish. The argument progresses from the sublime to the ridiculous. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Shamika. I don't care if the coins were packed in a box with a chemistry set by tonecoin2003. If they look "NT", that's good enough. How can the distinction be made otherwise?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Shamika. I don't care if the coins were packed in a box with a chemistry set by tonecoin2003. If they look "NT", that's good enough. How can the distinction be made otherwise? >>

Whether anyone cares or not if something is NT or AT is a different issue. Presumably, the reason you'd care is because the intentionally toned coins look that way. But it's still the intentional act of toning that makes it artificial.

Let's look at this another way: Why would anyone care whether a coin was AT or NT? I don't collect toners, but my impression was that the whole point of the distinction was to find original, un-messed-with coins. And that, to me, screams intent.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that calling a coin AT or NT by looking at the "intent" of the person who owned or had custody of the coin while it toned is crazy.

How does one define "intent"?

Is it when the person puts chemicals on the coin to change its color so that it can be sold at a higher price?

Is it that a person made the choice to put the coin in a Whitman album at 7 years of age and 35 years later opened the album and sees a toned coin? [If so, I am guilty of being a coin doctor].

Market acceptable v. not market acceptable seems to be more in tune with reality; however, this way to determine AT v. NT only rewards the coin doctors who have the most talent in their craft [since they can produce toned coins which are market acceptable].

No easy answer on this one; and I presume that given the different wants, desires, tastes, etc, of each collector, there will be no end to the variety of coins which are available in the hobby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file