Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

whats your greatest circulation find ever.

and remember.Honesty is a virtue.image

The liers of the forum should have a field day with this one.image

Comments

• Options
    Probably a 64 JFK. image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a 1927-S Standling Liberty Quarter in circulation when I was a kid. It was in pretty good shape (which I promptly improved with a good scrub of baking soda image ). Somebody had carved an "X" in in, though. Found a 1926-S as well, that was pretty decent. Did the baking soda number on that one too.

Wish that was the dumbest thing I'd done as a kid!
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I remember back in college finding a 1975S cent when they were going for about $20 a pop for some reason. I think I kept the cent for quite a while, but then somehow it vanished like some of my other coins did - through sales and such... I also found a 1934 Doubled Motto quarter in change once too - in about AG condition, but the motto doubling could be easily seen. I think I got about $25 for that one.

Frank
  • Options
    1909 VDB lincolnimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a 1995 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent from Burger King in Miami. This was found only a few short days after the "big" announcement was made about the DDO getting out.

To this day, I still have it. Right now, it is at ANACS getting graded. I am sure it will not make my highest grade 1995 DDO, but that perticular coin has special memories for me and I will always keep it for that reason.

It is coins like this that make this a fantastic hobby.

Richard.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Either a 1945 Washington or a 1943s merc.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    1982 no P dime from a coworkers change

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    In a roll of circulated nickels...Ken
    .image
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I found a 1909 VDB cent in a roll. I still have a feeling my dad planted it there
    but he will never admit it. He use to bring home $20 worth of penny rolls for me to go through.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    A few months ago I found a Buffalo nickel. It's either a 1913-D type II or 1915-D. Hard to tell since the date is almost gone.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lovely wife, nearly mint state and I intend to keep her.
  • Options
    A mint state 1938 Jefferson nickel in a collection jar at school. Other than that, some early date wheaties...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    nothing great. I remember finding lots of silver quarters in change, when I was about 7, but I did not realize that they were silver, or very valuable so I promptly spent then. In the past few months, my best find is only a 1964 AU-50 silver quarter (which is actually in my pocket as I am writing this)
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    All at once: 1 1964 JFK and 4 1965-1969 JFKs when I was 15 working at a convenience store.
  • Options
    When I was a kid, I would find common date IH cents in G-4 sometimes. In fact, I found one in a roll of circulation cents last year. I also found a common date Barber dime in similar condition in the lunch money when I was a kid. None is as valuable as the occasional 1964 half I still find sometimes.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Got this in change after I bought a Slurpee.
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I bought 8 rolls of 1/2 dollars at a local bank and found $50-$60 was silver.....about a roll of Walkers, 1+ roll of Franklins, 1+ roll of 1964 Kennedy, and a couple rolls of 40% silver Kennedy's. I think I wrote about it here a year or so ago, when it happened.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    My greatest circulation find ,was when I discovered that my blood was still

reaching my brain.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭
    A 1924 S Merc in AU condition around 1962. I was 9 at the time. I gave it to the owner of a small grocery store who gave me a few old
    coins. Looking back, I'd have to say he cherry picked me.imageimage
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    As a kid, I found a 1914-D nickel in a roll of circulated nickels from the bank As an adult, I put a $20 bill into a 50C slot machine and immediately cashed-out, the result included a 64 Kennedy (tried it several other times but only came up with a 40% silver Kennedy).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Five years ago, I received an 1842-O seated dime in change from a convenience store.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    1939-D Jefferson Rev of 1938

I sent it in and it came back MS63.

Not bad image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    K-10,
    Cool find.....how about a 79CC Morgan in AU....back in the pre-clad days.imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    In 1964, while working at Hot Shoppes, I found a 1942/1 dime. A couple of years ago, while going through some merc dimes, I found a 1942/1-d dime.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    imageimage

Searched change for two years before finding at work. R7 less than 6 known!image
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    $100 face of WLH's bought at a bank for $100.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the mid '60's, my dad, while bartending, was given an 1875-S 20c piece by a sailor who thought it was a "Canadian quarter". Although I didn't personally find it, I did end up owning it. Later, in the early '70's, someone came in and spent 4 rolls of Barber dimes. Personally, I suppose it would have to be a 1980 Doubled die obverse Lincoln that ended up MS63RB a couple of years ago, though I do remember the days when you could find high grade Buffalos and early date Walkers in circulation.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    I could say a 1929-s nickel or a 1917-s dime, but that would not be very interesting at all so, I'll tell you about a 1918 nickel I found.

But back in the 1970s I was driving with some friends to a wedding in North Carolina. We had a few six packs with us and after the while we had to make a pit stop along the side of the highway. I remember kicking away some debris-- looked like there may have been a car wreck there a while back-- and I found a nickel half buried in the dirt. I wiped it off, and it was a Liberty head nickel, with the big V on the back. I had never seen one of those in circulation, so I thought it was a real cool find. It looked like it had very little wear at all but had dirt caked on it and looked like it had been lying there for years. Looked to me like the date was 1918 but there was some dirt in the date so the last digit might have only looked like an 8 –it could have been a 3 or something plugged with dirt. Anyhow, I stuck it in my pocket. About an hour later we stopped for gas and were all kind of hungry and there were some of those snack vending machines. And one of them had moon pies, which cost about 15 cents back then, so I dug into my pocket for some change and bought a moon pie. Later when I looked for that nickel, it was gone, so it must have gone into that vending machine.

So what was the date on that coin really? Who knows. Is it a true story? Who cares. It sure beats telling about some 1929-s nickel or a 1917-s dime.

CG
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was in High School working at a fast food hang out, I found a 1926-s Lincoln in the low VF range.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Bear- That the best circulation find ever!!!!!! image

Not a huge coin but I,m pretty proud of a 1894 IHC I found in a roll from the bank.
    Its BN but would eaily grade an EF if not AU, IMHO.
  • Options
    Hey This might not be a great find but In 1993 we took a trip to Spain. Flew to Madrid and tooka plane to Barcellona.

As we were getting the rental car I saw a small metal box in the weeds behind the car. I picked it up and it had some french coins in it. They looked cruddy but what the heck. I stuck them in my pocket.

A couple of nights later we were in France and my brother and I took a walk. Just for kicks we stopped in this local Pub for a beer. So I puuled out this tin can and asked the bartender if we could use these. He reached over and took the amount he needed for the beers and there was money left and later we had another beer still using the coins from the tin can.

As I said it wasn't much of a find but it was fun. It was obvious someone taking the plane didn't want to mess with coins.

Here's to Ya!

Jim

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I'm with pontiac ... a 1982 No-P strong strike Roosie dime that now resides in a PCGS AU-58 slab. It was a coin that helped retrigger my collecting after many years of inactivity (college, marriage, job, kids, etc.) image
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at the checkout counter of convenience store back in 81' or so when I looked down and saw a big fat, crisp twenty staring me down. This is when $20 meant something, an more so to a kid that made fifty cents allowance a week!

As a kid That beat any old coin found in circulation.

Tyler
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mentioned most of the great moderns I've found in circulation so here's
    a story of the best classic I ever found: I was helping a buddy who was very
    overworked by working the register at his convenience store. This was 1974.
    A customer came in and gave me a dollar and a few coins for a small purchase.
    The dime in the lot was an unc (yes unc) 1935 dime. It was not only unc but
    was a minor gem with FSB. I asked the customer about it but he insisted it was
    just a dime and he knew nothing about it.

I sold the coin in 1989 for a fairly good price. ($15 or so).
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    WWll silver Jefferson's and a Red BU 1939-S Lincoln from the local Walmart 3 years ago.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    A die trial Lincoln Cent. I found it in circulation over 20 years agoimage, but I'm not sure where I put it.image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    My greatest find was a super-duper grease-filled strike of a Virginia SQ. It was cool enough looking to bring $20 at open auction, raw, with a starting price of .25.
  • Options
    My best circulation find was a 1972 DDO cent in my Dad's change jar..
    My best coin finds were a 1901 O Barber Quarter AU and a 1907 10 Dollar gold piece with a metal detector. among others....

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    I found exactly a total of five silver dimes. (4) 1964's (1) 1960. They are very important to me. I've been checking my change since I was five.....this is the cream of the crop.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I found a 1997 double ear Lincoln cent a few years ago. I also found a double Monticello 1939 Jefferson nickel about 10 years ago.

John
  • Options
    About 15 years ago I was riding my ATC in the desert when I heard my tools fall out the storage box when I was picking them up I found an old penny,stuck it in my pocket.When I got home I cleaned it off and it was a 1909 s VDB it's not in very good condition but I still have it !
    NEWBIE, STILL HAVIN FUN !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file