Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My San Francisco ANA report...

First of all I want to say it was a pleasure meeting all the board members I did there. Some were a reunion, others were a first time meeting. Airplanenut, Jrgman, Foodude, Rkkay, Boiler78, Wayne Herndon, Kieferscoins, Tootawl, Eagleeye, and possibly others who might have dropped by but didn't introduce themselves.

The show was an unusual one, and as others have reported, I believe the floor plan was a bad pick. The show was on three levels, and only the bourse was difficult for the public to find. I doubt that had a lot of bearing on the bigger money spent because most of the public I did see were tire kickers. I worked with Long Island Numismatics while there and there was very little public buying from our table.

A few really neat things happened at the show that are of consequence to me...

1. The very first coin was slabbed by ANACS that shows my die system - an AU58 example of 1911D-1OM-001, a very scarce D/S OMM. Michael Fahey of ANACS required some convincing, so I came prepared with microphotos, overlays, and the like. The coin belongs to the exact same die published in the HUB, Nov/Dec 2001. Only four specimens of his die are known to date. Anyhow, this coin and the holder around it marks a milestone in numismatics, because this is the first time a coin has been encapsulated using a die system that's main public focus is on the internet.

2. I met up with James Taylor, former President of ICG and now President of ANACS. This is a big step forward in my relationship with ANACS because I have always gotten along really well with James, and now we will be working together more closely than before because the decision makers at ICG had decided not to recognize my die system. Now that James works with the company that recognizes the system, we will be in touch, which is a plus.

3. The second edition of my book, "Looking Through Lincoln Cents," was released to the public, although in small quantities. 56 paperbacks were opened at the show, roughly 30 of them sold. I didn't sign very many, probably a dozen altogether.

4. Nuismatic News editor Dave Harper showed interest in publishing the fact that my die system finally made it into a slab, he came over to the table and took my photo with the coin - I will be sending close-ups to him this week with a story so he can publish it. Looks like my mug is going into the news.

5. CoinAge magazine approached me regarding some free lance writing. I'd like to be able to go into further detail with this one, but don't really know a whole lot more.

6. Whitman publishing approached me and wants to see the manuscript and layout for the digital photography book I'm working on. Now I have two publishers interested in that one.

7. I met Dr. Sol Taylor, author of the Standard Guide to the Lincoln Cent and founder of the Society of Lincoln Cent Collectors. He's a very interesting person to talk to. We had a nearly two-hour conversation that evolved into my becoming the editor of the club newsletter and possible future owner of the rights to the name and club. If that happens I plan to take the club online. It was founded in 1968, has been issuing a newsletter quarterly to its members since then, but still yet remains virtually non-existant on the web. That needs to change.

8. Last but not least - I said before that I had a chance to talk with James Taylor and that he had moved to ANACS. Well, he was carrying around something that he was showing to choice individuals, and I was one of those choice individuals. No details here because I told him I wouldn't blow the secret - but ANACS is testing slab designs, and the one I saw was nice!!

That's my report. I didn't even bother attending any of the auctions, very few coins that would have been of interest to me anyway, and most of the time even those go for more than double what I would be willing to spend on them. I figured my time was much more wisely spent working downstairs talking to people, socializing, and making sure more people heard my name. Like I've said before and said many times this past week - I'm not a dealer, I don't have it in me. I'm a collector at heart and a researcher/writer. Sitting behind a table dealing coins is about the most boring thing I can imagine, and I did plenty of it during this show. I'm permanently cured of ever wanting to be a dealer, especially with the very low money traffic at this show.
C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
The Lincoln cent store:
http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
http://www.cdaughtrey.com
USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you talked to James Taylor, did he say that they would allow coins in the old holders to be reslabbed into the new holders?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When you talked to James Taylor, did he say that they would allow coins in the old holders to be reslabbed into the new holders? >>

I didn't ask him anything like that. I would assume, however, for a reholder fee you could get any coin into a new holder. I think it's $5 or $6 per coin.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be funny if some day the old holders became more valuable (or at least more hyped) similar to the old PCGS holders?

• Options

<< <i>8. Last but not least - I said before that I had a chance to talk with James Taylor and that he had moved to ANACS. Well, he was carrying around something that he was showing to choice individuals, and I was one of those choice individuals. No details here because I told him I wouldn't blow the secret - but ANACS is testing slab designs, and the one I saw was nice!! >>

You won't blow the secret but post that they are testing new slab designs? That sounds like blowing the secret to me!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Sounds like alot of good news for you! image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to meet you - congrats on the slab! When I saw it, I didn't recognize the significance - was at the wrong end of the dinner table!

By the way, you did look really bored as a dealer!! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't blow the secret but post that they are testing new slab designs? That sounds like blowing the secret to me!

Maybe the secret is not the new slab design (widely anticipated) but that it can sing and dance like the Michigan frog!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Any reason why Taylor left ICG? I have not heard about this.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any reason why Taylor left ICG? I have not heard about this.

It was a power struggle between him and Kiefer - Taylor lost. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    If you're walking around at the ANA showing off a new slab design... the news is gonna get out one way or another.

Networking CD! You're on your way to the top! image
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "secret" of a new slab is not the secret, just the icing of the cake......James and I go way back in time and I would just say ...stay tuned for some big things from ANACS
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Cameron - I could draw a picture, describe the slab, tell the details that James told me...but I won't. Suffice to say that telling here that there is at least one new slab design in the works is enough and does not blow most of what I know about it.

Lakesammman - You mean to tell me that I met you and didn't know who you were? Were you the one sleeping at the opposite end of the dinner table? I would have talked to you more had I known that was you...

Longacre - No knowledge of the particulars regarding James leaving ICG. All I know is that he left, went to ANACS. I met the new President of ICG - Cameron brought him by our table and I had a chance to help Cameron give him a little of the low down on slab history. Seems like a pretty nice guy.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Ahh...one other thing I forgot to mention before. I had been working on getting the ANA to let me help teach some courses at the summer seminar for the past three years now. I was at the ANA table signing when Lane Brunner comes up to me and starts talking about the benefits of having educators like me involved in the hobby, and so forth. I tell him that I have had interest in the summer seminar for quite some time now, and he goes over and gets Gail Baker to come over and say hello. I remind her of who I am (unnecessarily I guess) and she responded by telling me that I was on the schedule for teaching digital photography next summer. I had no idea. I guess I'll be at the seminar next year!
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like things are going well for you. Nice report.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coppercoins---I'm not sure if this is secret or not but I'm curious---was the prototype slab that James Taylor showed you the same size as the current ANACS slab or was it larger like the NGC / PCGS slabs? If its a secret you can PM me. image

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

7. I met Dr. Sol Taylor, author of the Standard Guide to the Lincoln Cent and founder of the Society of Lincoln Cent Collectors. He's a very interesting person to talk to. We had a nearly two-hour conversation that evolved into my becoming the editor of the club newsletter and possible future owner of the rights to the name and club. If that happens I plan to take the club online. It was founded in 1968, has been issuing a newsletter quarterly to its members since then, but still yet remains virtually non-existant on the web. That needs to change. >>

Chuck,
    First of all, congratulations on your networking experiences at the ANA convention. I'm sure the future will be very positive for you.
    I wanted to comment about Sol Taylor and the Society of Lincoln Cent collectors. (SLCC). I have been a member since 1983 and I believe the organization was started in 1982. Sol has worked hard over the years to publish the quarterly "Lincoln Sense" and conduct the auctions. Your involvement will certainly bring new people into the organization. I assume you have read the Stand Guide to the Lincoln Cent which has now been published in 4 editions. Getting this organization on the Web would be great.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on those big achievements CC.
  • Options
    No details on the ANACS slab - sorry. Not sure how much I should say.

Regarding the SLCC, perhaps it was 1982 that Sol founded the club...something about 1968 sticks in my mind with him. I know he said something about 1968 because that was the year I was born. I must have mistakenly thought that's when the club was founded. Perhaps he started buying collections in 1968. Something. Geesh, next time I go to a major show and talk to someone I'm gonna record the conversation...with permission of course.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all sounds great. When's the book going to get to Borders though?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. I have lots of ANACS slabs that could use new holders but I certainly would want them in the newly designed holders.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>It all sounds great. When's the book going to get to Borders though? >>

Not sure on that - there's a good question for my publisher. They have to send off courtesy copies to each of the book sellers and give them the low-down on price, etc. As I understand it the selection process can take months before the book seller actually orders...but when they do, it's usually thousands of copies ($$$).
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I certainly hope ANACS may improve their slab. A higher quality, PCGS size slab would be a plus, especially with a clear insert.
    Maybe now that tey're owned by a more (apparently) progressive company maybe we'll see some inovation.
  • Options

<< <i>No details on the ANACS slab - sorry. Not sure how much I should say >>

I read your reply but don't think it should have been posted here. James Taylor showed select dealers (like you said) to get feedback. Not to announce it on a message board. Thats my opinion and the way he presented it to me.

Overall it was a good show and I really enjoyed reading your show report. True and unbiased.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Thanks for the GREAT Post Copper Coins. Great to hear Anacs may be changing their capsule design will be a real improvement. That's the main reason I don't own many of their coins. Would definitely send in many of my raw lincoln varieties for grading if they had a decent slab. Congrats on your new publication as well will be looking to get one soon. LOVE those Lincolns. Cameron take a CHILL PILL, I'm sure that the announcement will be coming out very shortly. I'd like to here that it is an addition to the registry of there coins along with NGC and PCGS together in one registry. Now that would be HUGE NEWS. We could only HOPE!imageSomeday they could even add ICG.(NOT)image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    I'm glad to hear James has moved to ANACS. Maybe ANACS will get a little more progressive.

I hate the idea of a slab change at ANACS. I like their slabs the best. Maybe they need to have a larger size for cob coins and the like but... I like the smaller slabs. I hope a new slab is not just an excuse to raise their fees.

It's not that they need to generate more work. They have the biggest backlog in the TPG industry. Don't even consider sending them anything economy! They need more graders, and to be brought into the internet age.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS should offer an option-the current size slab for those who like them and a large, PCGS size slab with a different insert color and design.
  • Options
    I don't remember anyone saying anything about the size of the slab. That was a guess that never went answered then everyone ran with it.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options

<< <i>ANACS should offer an option-the current size slab for those who like them and a large, PCGS size slab with a different insert color and design. >>

I agree. PCGS should also offer the option of a smaller slab for those who prefer to keep their coins in a safe deposite box.

• Options

<< <i>3. The second edition of my book, "Looking Through Lincoln Cents," was released to the public, although in small quantities. 56 paperbacks were opened at the show, roughly 30 of them sold. I didn't sign very many, probably a dozen altogether. >>

?

Is this a different version ?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If its a secret you can PM me >>

• Options
    Is this a different version ?

Different from the one sold last year? Yes...it has over 50 new photos. Some replacements of photos that I was not happy with from the original edition, some new photos of either recently acquired varieties or recently discovered varieties. There are also new captions with a number of them. There is also an entire chapter on the classes of hub doubling, definitions and images of each, and a couple of pages that center on non-collectible (machine) doubling.

Different from the one pre-sold three weeks ago? No...this is the edition people paid for this past month that I am still awaiting shipment on. I called the publisher yesterday, and he said they were going out today. They are really busy having just come out with at least three different titles in the same month, and are a bit backlogged. They did have two cases at the ANA show - one for the ANA money store, and one to a book dealer who is going to be one of the major distributors of the book. None for me.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Chuck image

• Options
    Excellent report.

Thanks
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    Great to see you doing so well and thanks for your excellent report.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice seeing you again, having a some wine (a must in SF) and dinner. I'm glad you'll be at the seminar next year. I'll see you there! Good luck on the book.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CD: Good job!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Coppercoins

I know you will keep the ANACS secret, but can you tell us if you liked the new ANACS slab that you saw better than the present PCGS or NGC slab?
  • Options
    Numonebuyer - yes I did. "modernistic" is an applicable word and my reason for liking it.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Bravo, both for your good news and the report ...
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't even consider sending them anything economy! >>

Oh goody goody goody.

Just sent a cheapskate batch yesterday.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891
    I was at the ANA show a few weeks ago, and what a show it was! Saw lots of great coins and got a chance to see some of the dealers that you only hear about in person!

I thought the exhibits were great and I liked the selection of nice coins that all the dealers had.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file