Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most expensive coin you have ever cracked out of a holder for an album?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am about to crack a $150 coin, and this will be my most expensive to date.

Comments

• Options
    !885-cc...PCGS ms65......image
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>What is the most expensive coin you have ever cracked out of a holder for an album? >>

This one:

imageimage
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    1849 $1 NGC AU58, worth about $1K.

Just wait - the fun has just begun!
  • Options
    RYK----I cracked a VF 1921D Walker that was in an ANACS holder when I got it and put it in my 2nd set of Walkers which are VF--XF originals. I had no reservations about the crackout because the coin fit the set so nicely and was worth more out of the holder than it was in it. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I cracked out a AGC AU50 1894 Morgan. I paid $500 for it, at the time that was strong XF money.
    Becky
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I've done a few approaching $1K
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    I cracked a 1894-s $1 NGC63 for my album...... after about a year I changed direction in the album and went to circulated grades for it. Ended up submitting the coin to PCGS and it came back a 64 - Bam!!! I was happy....I have cracked lots of 100-300 dollar coins....
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple in the $6-700 range, including this one:

former PCGS AU58

I've got a couple coins I'd like to crack and albumize, (proof Walker and Morgan) but just can't do it for fear of hairlines..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    MY 1922 $20 Saint that WAS in an NGC 62 Holder currently crossing at PCGS. MY guesstimate is around $600........

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I have never cracked a coin so I could place it in an album. Since I started collecting encapsulated coins I sold all my album coins that I did not want to submit to the grading services.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    XF reeded edge half.

I am sure when I get to the seated dollars, they will be slabed, as most raw are problems.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    After many, many discussions like this I'm left wondering when slab albums will finally catch on.

Eagle Albums
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a 1933 double eagle.

I needed to complete my Dansco album.image

OK
    Real answer!

a 1873 arrows half dollar in AU58.
    Dam it looks nice in my Library of Coins album.

Shortly there after, I cracked a 1889 half dollar in AU 55
    It looks equally great in that album.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Formerly an NGC XF-40:

imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a 1933 double eagle.

I needed to complete my Dansco album.image

>>

I don't think the 1933 Saint has ever been slabbed so it can't be cracked out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I don't think the 1933 Saint has ever been slabbed so it can't be cracked out. >>

IIRC, the PCGS folks looked at it and graded it MS-65, but they never encapsulated it.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After many, many discussions like this I'm left wondering when slab albums will finally catch on. >>

Only when coin collectors give up their #2 position in the CHEAPSKATE hobbiest list.

(Model railroaders hold the #1 position)

• Options
    Yesterday I cracked out an 1894-O dime that was (old) PCI XF45.
    It went into my Wayte Raymond album of XF+ toners.
    54 down, 20 to go!

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cracked out some Irish pieces in the $200-250 range, for the Dansco set I completed a couple years back.

The set consisted of three Dansco albums and included one of EVERY predecimal coin of the Irish Free State and Irish Republic (1928-69), except the ultra-rare 1943 florin (approx. 35 known).

One that I cracked out of a slab was a 1943 halfcrown, which had an approximate mintage of about 500 pieces. I got it in the neighborhood of $150, as I recall, which seemed a bargain. Prior to my cracking it out, it had been in an old PCI Photoslab with an F15 grade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Quite a few in the $200-$500 range. In my Indian cent set an AU 1877 Indian (around $2K). Every coin I've owned has been cracked out at one time or another, it becomes addictive. I think I'm reformed now, however, as I've purchased several over the last few weeks, and haven't even looked at the hammer yet. image

FYI, I recently sold the contents of my previous 7070. I reslabbed all the +$500 range pieces, and sold back through the dealer most had been purchased through over the years. However, about half the contents in the under $500 range were sold raw through eBay. I used a forum member, known for excellent eBay and photography skills (I'll let them ID themself if they wish). Some pieces were pretty nice, several were just ehhh coins, and a few were just blah (cleaned in the past, mid rangey with average or lower eye appeal). Overall, on around $4K Coin World Trends/PCGS Price Guide "best case retail", we realized just under $3K. Raw, on eBay.

Good coins (granted, many of my pieces were circ, but there were several nice MS pieces) with really good photos, from a reputable seller, even on eBay, will still sell well raw. Believe it.
  • Options
    DJC,

I remember when your collection was on ebay. I wish that I had caught the bug before that time. image

MY 1922 $20 Saint that WAS in an NGC 62 Holder currently crossing at PCGS. MY guesstimate is around $600........

Cracking to reslab does not count.

Like other personal numismatic milestones, I am sure that that this one will passed and surpassed for me. It was not that long a go that I thought $150 was a lot of money to spend on a coin.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1893-S Morgan. Then a $1,200 or so coin, now worth over $2,500.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Ziggy,

I remember that crackout. If I recall, the forum was very supportive. image
  • Options
    A 1893S S$1 in VG-8, about a $2000 coin these days--bought specifically to finish my Dansco Morgan Album.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    $1250
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I've never cracked out a coin.

(To put in an album).

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only think I might crack out to put in an album mite be an egg; hard boiled or soft hit don't matter.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    This oneimage

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee I could not wait for your coin to come up for sale so I have to use this one

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Ziggy,

I remember that crackout. If I recall, the forum was very supportive. image >>

Yeah. Couldn't get myself to crack out my (PCGS AU-50) 1914-D Lincoln, though. The value of the '14-D doubles from XF-40 to AU-50, and though I think this coin is a solid AU, there's just too much to lose if it downgraded if I needed to sell it. With the '77, you don't lose all that much from XF-40 to VF-30, plus I have no question whatsoever about its authenticity (and plus, I have no intention of selling it).

I think I'll just buy a VF '14-D to put in the album, knowing that I have a full AU locked away in its plastic to go with the rest of the set. Seems to be a better solution than a crackout for getting a decent '14-D in my album.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Lee I could not wait for your coin to come up for sale so I have to use this one >>

That ones very sweet also!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't exactly qualify since I don't use albums. But cracked out for my personal collection.

imageimage
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    tough question, i'd have to go back & make sure. i've surely cracked out dozens of $1000+ coins. several $2000+ (bust dollars especiallay), at least a couple of $3000+ coins that i can think of

K S
  • Options

<< <i>I've never cracked out a coin.

(To put in an album).

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never done it.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭✭
    1922 no-D strong reverse was graded ANACS AU-50. Now in my lincoln book.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $5 Gold Indian (1912?) in AU58 from an NGC slab... worth a bit over $200.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I can get to the bank, I will be cracking an AU-58 1928 Peace Dollar for a Dansco 7070 type set album. I look forward to the toning that will result from a few years in that album.
  • Options
    I set my personal record today. $315. I am eyeing another, higher target. image
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A $750 Classic Head Large Cent in PCGS VF30 and several gold coins. I stick the labels on the back page for future reference though...

• Options
    In 1999 I made a very dumb decision and cracked a Morgan 95-O in a PCGS 45 slab to put in my Eagle holdered set of raw Morgans. The rest of this story is kind of OT. In 2003, I decided to reslab my better Morgans and sent some to NGC. The 95-O was BB'd for cleaning--then I sent it to ANACS--AU details Net 40. I will no longer crack any expensive slab (over $200) Still trying to figure out how to best handle my 95-O. Cracked the ANACS slab and have carried the coin in my pocket off and on over the last year.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I set my personal record today. $315. I am eyeing another, higher target. >>

You're going to break out one of those Brown Box Ikes, aren't you? image

Millertime
  • Options
    Still trying to figure out how to best handle my 95-O.

I would have sent the coin back to PCGS. Some say they are the most likely service to slab (and unofficially net grade) a lightly cleaned coin. My anecdotal experience supports this.
  • Options
    ou're going to break out one of those Brown Box Ikes, aren't you?

No, I am going to crack out and spend those brown box Ikes. They do not seem to be worth the hassle of doing anything else with them. image
  • Options

<< <i>Still trying to figure out how to best handle my 95-O.

I would have sent the coin back to PCGS. Some say they are the most likely service to slab (and unofficially net grade) a lightly cleaned coin. My anecdotal experience supports this. >>

Thanks! I assume you mean like they had never seen it before. (I still have the insert and dealer invoice--which I guess is worthless after all this time.)
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Specimen67 1944 Swiss 2 Franc with a hard core cameo to it
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    1894 PCGS VF20 Morgan: $1,300

Got my eye on my 1893-S PCGS VF25 for some possible breakage.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    $300 and change for a Seated Lib dollar for my type set...several $100-$250 ones for the same set.

Was gonna crack a $300+ 1885 Lib nickel for that album, but no guts.
  • Options
    An 1877 Indian Cent EF40 ANACS
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    Cracked (used my fingernail) out three PF 70 SGS slabs, cent, nickle, dime and added them to the three piece silver proof set 1776-1976, put them in a capital holder and they made a very nice set. Nothing above 66, but they still looked nice...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file