Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do ANACS MS70 coins exist?

stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
For about the past six months I've been looking for ANACS MS70 coins. Not that I want to buy one, but more from curiosity. In that time I don't believe a single ANACS graded MS70 has been offered on ebay, Teletrade, or Heritage. There have been a few (very few) MS69s, but no 70s. I realize the ANACS share of the coin grading market is small, but I thought they would have graded a few MS70s. Does anyone own one?

They are the only grading service that has not had MS70 coins listed for sale somewhere. I find that kind of strange. I guess it's a matter of economics - one wants to get the highest price possible for good coins and ANACS graded coins do not bring the same price as those from PCGS or NGC. Seems to me ANACS is kind of between a rock and a hard place. Their standards are about the same as PCGS or NGC, but the coins don't bring as high a price so people don't submit to them.

I find that an interesting management problem. They must maintain high grading standards to maintain their reputation. So how do they do that and grow the company? Advertising and promotion? Start buying their own graded coins at above average prices. In a sense investing in their company like other companies buy back stock.

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?

Comments

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    I have never seen an ANACS MS-70 or Proof 70 coin.
  • Options
    I am certainly no expert but IMO it may be due to the percentage of moderns they grade vs PCGS and NGC. Guess you could check the pop reports and see what year the MS70s start showing up in NGC and PCGS.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I've never seen an ANACS 69 let alone a 70. I do own this 57-D in 68 and I thought that was special! Does ANACS even have a POP Report? I was told they didn't. I like ANACS as a grading company and their small slab size. You do get some nice coins at great prices compared to PCGS and NGC. Very tough for them to grow their business. One way is grading turnaround times. Grade coins quickly and consistently and business should grow.

• Options
    Never seen one?
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I've seen one. But there aren't many. My pop report shows 40 MS70s, total, for all modern commemoratives, and only *1* PF70 (a 1993-S Jefferson).
  • Options
    flaminio: Were you the one that listed an ANACS MS69 John Marshall on ebay? If so I'm curious why you had it graded at ANACS (assuming you brought it from the mint) rather than PCGS or NGC?
  • Options
    I had never seen one too.
  • Options
    Back in 1983 I think it was Ira Einhorn made a 70 proof frankin. Not a slab but a certificate.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    ANACS is extremely tough on modern coinage it would appear.

I have never seen a 70 from them anywhere, whether for sale or on display.

• Options

<< <i>flaminio: Were you the one that listed an ANACS MS69 John Marshall on ebay? If so I'm curious why you had it graded at ANACS (assuming you brought it from the mint) rather than PCGS or NGC? >>

This link should answer your question. It's a much bigger challenge to collect mod comms in ANACS holders than PCGS, or especially NGC. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think I have the most complete collection of mod comms in ANACS MS69 holders in the entire world. Why be one of thousands with PCGS when I can be unique with ANACS?

I only need five more to go to complete the set, and if anyone out there's got one I need, PM me ASAP!
  • Options
    That's a pretty impressive collection and good photographs.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    hmm wonder if an ngc or pcgs 70 was ever crossed to ANAC 70. But who would do that?
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>That's a pretty impressive collection and good photographs. >>

imageimageimage
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    << hmm wonder if an ngc or pcgs 70 was ever crossed to ANAC 70. But who would do that?>>

It would also be interesting to see how many ANACS MS69 coins would upgrade to MS70 at PCGS or NGC.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask Bob (Flamingo) how many PCGS and NGC 69's he submitted trying to get his Washington!
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>Ask Bob (Flaminio) how many PCGS and NGC 69's he submitted trying to get his Washington! >>

Actually, it was just one PCGS and one NGC. And about 30 raw ones...

It was the PCGS that ultimately made it over, but it was a hand-picked specimen from the inventory of Cameo CC, for whom I am grateful.

It remains a pop 1/0 at ANACS.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

That's pretty cool - and I think blows away a PCGS set image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-70 is a theoretical grade for a perfect coin. There are no MS-70 coins contrary to what some grading services claim.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    Not in Modern Commems anyway, and no, I have never seen an ANACS 70 Slab......

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ask Bob (Flaminio) how many PCGS and NGC 69's he submitted trying to get his Washington! >>

Actually, it was just one PCGS and one NGC. And about 30 raw ones...

It was the PCGS that ultimately made it over, but it was a hand-picked specimen from the inventory of Cameo CC, for whom I am grateful.

It remains a pop 1/0 at ANACS. >>

And will remain that way for quite sometime!!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a 68 at ANACS once, with a big Russian coin. Best I've ever done.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    << I made a 68 at ANACS once, with a big Russian coin. Best I've ever done. >>

With your comment and the others I wonder if ANACS is under grading coins or if they just don't get the volume of good ones? About a month ago I took the time to look at ebay completed auctions by grade and TPG. I looked for coins graded by PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, PCI, and SEGS. The grades were from proof(did not distinguish between proof grades) to F12. Overall there were 22,780 coins in the categorys I looked at - PCGS coins accounted for 48%, NGC 44%, ANACS 4%, ICG 3%, and the others less than 1%.

Some the numbers were kind of interesting - for example in the two top grades MS69 & MS70 - NGC had 2486 coins, and PCGS had 1328 coins. ANACS had 3 coins (all MS69). The grade ANACS dominates is AU - they had 332 coins, PCGS 119, NGC 198, and ICG 13. I think that reflects net grading.

My conclusion is that ANACS may be a good grading company, but they are not recognized as such by the market.

I am in the process of trying to track coin prices realized by TPG, date, and grade (using ebay data - it's the easiest to come by). I'm interested to compare average selling prices among the TPGs for the same grade and date of coin.
  • Options

<< <i>My conclusion is that ANACS may be a good grading company, but they are not recognized as such by the market. >>

Note that as a net buyer of coins, this is a Good Thing. I get a quality coin at a discounted price when compared to PCGS or NGC.
  • Options
    <<Note that as a net buyer of coins, this is a Good Thing. I get a quality coin at a discounted price when compared to PCGS or NGC.>>

I agree completely, and that is why I've started buying all ANACS coins (when I can find them).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file