Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pillar Dollar with Chopmarks--thoughts?

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
First, apologies for the multiple posts. new to the photography thing and I did try the test site first but I still screwed up.

I picked up this Pillar Dollar with Chopmarks because it had such a good look. I have never owned a chopmarked coin but this one was nice and original. I think it would go 55-58, but it is in a genuine holder. Two questions--do chopmarks impact negatively the value of a coin (I assume so) and doesn't PCGS now grade these? The chopmarks are mostly small. Photos done with my new-found photography skills...and lots of time.

Comments welcome.

imageimage

imageimageimage

Tom

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking chops! Smallies!! Is that a Mexico City minted 8 reales? Why the name pillar?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think discrete chops like that detract.. I think they add to the interest. Nice one!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks terrific and the chops are quite neatly done. In my experience, the smaller style chops are seen more on coins of this era and the larger chops are seen on Trade dollars. Even though PCGS puts Trade dollars with chops into problem-free holders, I have not seen them do the same with these 8R. Regardless, it looks like a very nice coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking chops! Smallies!! Is that a Mexico City minted 8 reales? Why the name pillar?

bobimage >>

Note the two pillars flanking the two hemispheres.

Then google the "pillars of hercules."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking chops! Smallies!! Is that a Mexico City minted 8 reales? Why the name pillar?

bobimage >>

Bob, on the reverse you see the 2 columnarios (pillars) representing the Pillars of Hercules, the land on either side of the strait of Gibraltar. Plus Ultra on the pillars, meaning "further" is a reference to Columbus' discoveries far to the west of the strait. The coin was struck in Mexico City, denoted by the M mintmark.

The Pillar design dates back to the early 16th c., when medals of Spain, Belgium and other countries were struck showing two crowned pillars on the reverse and a portrait of the Monarch on the obverse.

Gilboy's book, "The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America" has a lot of information on this.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though PCGS puts Trade dollars with chops into problem-free holders, I have not seen them do the same with these 8R. >>

What you will see occasionally see is a Pillar coin in a regular holder with a small chopmark hidden in the design which the graders either thought was innocuous enough to grade, or they just didn't see it.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed this thread somehow...seems like a good place to post this image
    Can't seem to find the reverse pic, but this is the best side anyhow. I really love these old choppers alot !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is amazing jayPem...did you ever try to count them all?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice jayPenn. The underlying coin looks like a nice xf. And some of the chops look older than others...or is that just the lighting?

Tom

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice jayPenn. The underlying coin looks like a nice xf. And some of the chops look older than others...or is that just the lighting? >>

It looks that way to me as well...the large chops in the middle actually are very lusterous down deep, as if the coin was chop while brand new and
    then the main surfaces of the coin tarnished and the recessed area remained fresh ! Pretty cool !

Ricko, I will make the attempt, now that you've thrown down the glove image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file