Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

September Pick-Up Thread.....Let's see what you got!!!!!

September is here fella's. Let's see some scans of your purchases.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I would be first to respond with a 1971 Topps Willie Mays that I just purchased. Unfortunately, it was slightly touched up in at least one corner so it's on the way back to the seller image
    Daniel
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice PSA 8 Carter.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a very nice PSA 8 Carter. >>

I second that. Great pickup, Evan!
    Daniel
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty Carter

I decided to start buying Clemente's again. Here's my first in nearly 3 years. Special shout out to Jeff (Card Country) for selling me this beauty.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Clemente!!!

This is one for my 60 Topps set:

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I picked these two up and just received them in the mail from a fellow board member. Hat tip to thunderdan.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Continuing on with trying to find lower grade with higher eye appeal is this lefty from 1956
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty Carter

I decided to start buying Clemente's again. Here's my first in nearly 3 years. Special shout out to Jeff (Card Country) for selling me this beauty.

image >>

CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    That is an amazing Clemente!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked this up last night. Nice card at a nice price!

• Options
    Tough to go wrong with a card with three hall of famers on it.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked this up last night. Nice card at a nice price!

image >>

I have been looking for that exact card in that grade. I have been taking a break lately so I missed that one. Great centering on that card.

BPorter26 that is a sweet looking Clemente. What a way to jump back in after 3 years off.

Some great looking rookies with the Ripken, Winfield and Carter. Great start to the September thread
  • Options

<< <i>Tough to go wrong with a card with three hall of famers on it. >>

Agreed! Love those vintage league leader cards with multi superstars.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These came in the mail today
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    No corners on these. Should make for an easy 10.

link
  • Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Neither of these were purchased this month, but they came back from PSA yesterday so I am sharing them here. I bought the 7 in July and sent it in for a reholder. The 4.5 was an SGC 4.5 that I sent in for a crossover and PSA agreed with SGC (I'm very happy they did).

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally picked up a graded copy of this one. Thanks, Jim!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    REAL NICE looking 4.5 on that Aaron.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Another great start for the month guys.

Kyle - Happy to see the Spieth made it to you safely.

Here's another 86 Fleer I'd been looking for. Pretty strong 7 considering I just couldn't rationalize what 8s go for vs. this one.

Some new Banks for my Player Registry...

And some more Registry items. These all coming from jmaciu as part of a sweet swap deal. Thanks John! Super stoked with these.

Looking forward to what the rest of the month has in store.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Fantastic cards Jim. You are showing great examples of some of my favorites. Seeing a young Chris Mullin reminds me of his St. John's days when the Big East was king. Well done.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    This purchase was influenced by my father in law who is a tremendous Brooklyn Dodgers fan and still believes that Koufax was the best pitcher to ever play. Thanks to Jeff (Cardcountry) for hunting down a solid example.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one was delivered today.
    James

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, we are off to a fast start to the month. Too many to list all, but I really love the Clemente from Bobby and the 1960 Musial (that set has one of my favorite designs). Those Aaron RC's are off the charts (best looking 7 and 4.5's I have seen for that card). James your Red Heart Mantle is a beauty and a great upgrade for your set. Jim, I love the 86 Fleer Mullin (as clean a 7 as you will find) and the cards from your trade with John are sharp, that Mantle looks fantastic (glad to see a couple of great board members working on a trade).

Anyway, onto my contribution for the month. I have been pretty quiet on the pick ups for the past month and very busy with sales. All of that was to finally get this card paid off. I have been after a nice example of this card for years. I first started looking at getting this card because I started a 500 HR club RC collection about a year and a half ago. Despite his FTC being much more valuable and famous, I have always thought the RC was the more aesthetically pleasing of the two cards, with the beautiful blue background and the more full shot of him in his batting pose. I would be very remiss if I didn't give a huge shout out and thank you to Jeff (Cardcountry) who sold me the card and worked with me on payment. This was my first time dealing with him. I have seen his name come up a number of times in various threads (including two other mentions already in this month's pickups thread), always with nice things being said, and I have to concur after working with him on this card. Thanks Jeff!
    Steve
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, we are off to a fast start to the month. Too many to list all, but I really love the Clemente from Bobby and the 1960 Musial (that set has one of my favorite designs). Those Aaron RC's are off the charts (best looking 7 and 4.5's I have seen for that card). James your Red Heart Mantle is a beauty and a great upgrade for your set. Jim, I love the 86 Fleer Mullin (as clean a 7 as you will find) and the cards from your trade with John are sharp, that Mantle looks fantastic (glad to see a couple of great board members working on a trade).

Anyway, onto my contribution for the month. I have been pretty quiet on the pick ups for the past month and very busy with sales. All of that was to finally get this card paid off. I have been after a nice example of this card for years. I first started looking at getting this card because I started a 500 HR club RC collection about a year and a half ago. Despite his FTC being much more valuable and famous, I have always thought the RC was the more aesthetically pleasing of the two cards, with the beautiful blue background and the more full shot of him in his batting pose. I would be very remiss if I didn't give a huge shout out and thank you to Jeff (Cardcountry) who sold me the card and worked with me on payment. This was my first time dealing with him. I have seen his name come up a number of times in various threads (including two other mentions already in this month's pickups thread), always with nice things being said, and I have to concur after working with him on this card. Thanks Jeff!
    image >>

Awesome Mantle Rookie! That is exactly the type of Mantle rookie I would like to add to my collection one day down the road. A nice looking PSA 3 or 4.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Steve...it's a beauty. Worth the wait. Congrats!

I'm loving that 55 Koufax too. I also got mine from Jeff.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Picked up a couple Marcus Allen cards

Hopefully the emerald /5 hits ebay soon (being a new product and being opened heavy right now)

The is a 2015 Topps Buyback....gold foil, which is a 1/1
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Jim, that's a great group of cards! And Steve, I'm with you, I much prefer Mantle's 51B RC over his 52T non RC. Yours is a great copy!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Purchased from a board member

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup guys. I can't comment on everything.

Jim.... absolutely beautiful 73 Roberto Clemente.

Steve.... xJust Wow on the 51 Bowman Mantle. Congrats on the pickup.

dberk... Gorgeous looking Koufax.

Dennis.... Very nice 70 Clemente, it's very well centered.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    been on a much deserved lil 8 day puerto rican sabbatical. good to see this month starting off strong. lots of mantles and clementes!!

here's a few of the packages i'ved opened so far...

a pair of the infamous 64 floods, but the veni versions!

another one for the signed mantle run:

• Options
    Wow Bob!!
  • Options
    Very6 nice stuff guys.

Lovin that 59 Clemente. Its a blazer for sure! The Ripken 10 is a beauty. That Mantles are spectacular (all of them) and the Koufax 8 is off the charts.

Keep em coming

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    What a great start to the month:

Jim, it was great working with you on the 68 Mantle, 60 Koufax, and the 73 Clemente. They definite found a great home...Bobby, the 59 Clemente is off the charts...The Koufax rookie is terrific...I love the Partridge meats Bench...Steve, the Mantle Bowman is awesome. Congrats on tracking it down..,

I hope to add to this thread shortly.
  • Options
    These are my top three pickups so far. A few steps closer to completing my 86-87 Fleer PSA/DNA Autograph Set. The Dawkins is already in the mail with 24 other raw 86-87s to PSA/DNA. While I am not a Lebron fan, I love the angle of the photo on this card.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Really like that 51 Bowman Mantle rookie. image
  • Options
    few more things...

anyone else remember these...the 86 topps boom box w/ pez candy?

couple scores for my herb score collection:

62 veni

and my deal de jour! gave it a 50/50 shot of them actually showing, but they did and snagged both of'em for under $12.

1926 w512 strips w/ uncle fester, walter hagen & lon chaney (werewolves of london)

edit: and technically a july pick up, but just got her back from psa. a lil rough, but i'll take'er:

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and my deal de jour! gave it a 50/50 shot of them actually showing, but they did and snagged both of'em for under $12.

1926 w512 strips w/ uncle fester, walter hagen & lon chaney (werewolves of london) >>

Huge score for that price, congrats!

<< <i>edit: and technically a july pick up, but just got her back from psa. a lil rough, but i'll take'er: >>

But now it's not a NNOF image
  • Options
    thanks kyle! as for the thomas, it's a nnob now?
  • Options
    another mantle check. woulda liked one w/ better centering, but it's not necessarily raining basic mantles lately...

• Options
    Picked up two more cards for my new project - T206 cards of New York Players. This brings my total to 15. Man, these cards look so much worse when they get magnified! Any chance I can get "2s" from PSA?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Wow Bob ... those autographed Mantles are AMAZING!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    mcgraw's literally pointing to the crease and saying wtf happened here?!?!

regardless, i think it is pretty freaking cool!!!

if you ever upgrade and wanna sell her, lemme know.

cool project too

edit: you plan on soaking any of these t206s?

• Options
    Doug, that McGraw is an awesome score.

Speaking of Score, Bob, there must be a reason you collect Herb and I'd love to hear it. If you don't wanna post it here, could you PM me? As you know, I'm passionate about player collecting, so I'm always interested in what draws collectors to their players.
  • Options
    Bob, that signed Thomas NNOF is a beast---one of the very, very short list of cards outside my main focus that I would love to add to my collection some day---congrats!
  • Options
    thanks case!

you should see the mountain of hockey cards i just picked up! ; )
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of Score, Bob, there must be a reason you collect Herb and I'd love to hear it. If you don't wanna post it here, could you PM me? As you know, I'm passionate about player collecting, so I'm always interested in what draws collectors to their players. >>

nothing that can't be posted. first, i did go to high school, college and do have a house in breck, co. however, i collect him for reasons well above and beyond the literary ironies.

prior to the the infamous mcdougald line drive he:

had a 2.85 era in rookie season
    had 245 strike outs. that record stood for nearly 30 years.
    and believe he was the first rookie to appear on sports illustrated.

as for the mcdougald line drive, that's a whole other thread that could go on for days.

the fact that he bounced back from it though is nothing more than a miracle for both men. his dedication and will to make it back to baseball saved the career of both men, as mcdougald was so shaken up that he was gonna throw in the towel as well.

outside of the baseball world, the man was literally a beast that couldn't be stopped:

at age 3 was hit and ran over by a truck. survived.
    developed rheumatic fever back then. survived.
    direct line drive to the face by mcdougald. survived.
    day after being inducted into the broadcasters hof hit by a semi truck. survived.
    spent another month in ICU. suffered brain trauma, crushed lung, fractured another facial orbital bone. survived. (was citied for failure to stop)
    2002 had a stroke. survived.
    finally passed in 2011...

i mean when life gets down, i simply pull out the cards, think about what the man accomplished/endured and know that it could always be worse.

but back to his baseball days, had he not got hit w/ a line drive (literally to the f@cking face) i honestly think he woulda been one of the best pitchers of all time!

and that's my brief explanation on why i love the herb!

• Options
    Just got this Williams that I've wanted for a while. Centering is pretty good and no snow which is very common for the 57's.

• Options
    sweet Ted Williams DNice!
    Ive been looking for a nicely centered with good picture in about 4-5 for a while but havent found what I want yet. That is a gorgeous example!