Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling at a Card Show - For The First Time

Hello folks. I have posted here before but very, very little. I mostly spend my time here reading and learning SO much from the board members. Thank you for the years of wonderful reading.

Very quickly, I have always wanted to sell at a card show .... not sure why, just a thing I think would be neat to do.

I have a bunch of 1970-1990 unopened boxes/packs that I was going to sell on fee-bay but decided to sell at a small, local card show here in Greenville SC. I am sure it will be slow but at least I can take this off my bucket list.

My question is this, I have a 6' table (for $40) and have a bunch of unopened to sell (or at least try to).

Any advise on the MUST HAVES when selling at a show? I have no experience and no fixtures, signs, glass cases, etc.

What do the experts suggest as must haves as I prepare to sell in 2 weeks.

Thanks for this information and all the information you pass onto all collectors.

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Bring help and another pair of eyes. Sadly, people go to these shows to steal.

Everyone wants a bargain -- have a dollar box.

Everyone wants to haggle. If you want to sell a box for $50, write $60 on it.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    consider spending a couple bucks on one of those smartphone CC scanners.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Got it .... and will listen to the advise. Thanks.

What about the best way to 'build' off a small, 6' table? Any homemade remedies to elevate my selling space vertically?

Got a bunch of wax boxes and don't think 6' of table space is enough to show off what I have to sell.

LOVE THE BOARDS!!!!
  • Options
    You should also turn on your PM
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone wants a bargain -- have a dollar box. >>

As a buyer, I can tell you this is helpful. I took my 10-year-old son to a show a few weeks ago and he liked looking through some of the $1 cards. Best wishes on your first selling experience!
  • Options
    My friend, I would turn on my PM if I knew what the heck a PM is or how to turn it on.

Told you I was a rookie ......
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Buy one of those sturday plastic shelving units that can be disassembled and use for stuff behind the table for display space. Have prices on everything. Definitely have help there to watch and so you can have a bathroom and/or food break.
  • Options
    PM as in personal message.

Click on profile, then click 'allow personal messages'

My guess is many board members, me included, are interested in your 70s unopened
  • Options
    OK, done (I think). I assume any personal messages will now go to my email?

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, done (I think). I assume any personal messages will now go to my email? >>

Nope. Look at the top of the page, under the CU logo.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>OK, done (I think). I assume any personal messages will now go to my email? >>

Nope. Personal Messages (PMs) will appear in the upper left of your screen -- where the little lock icon is.

I imagine you will start to get a boatload of PMs.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Put your good stuff BEHIND you. With no cases you will be ripe for the picking. Mark everything up,get your table fees back. Have fun!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    Put prices on stuff. I hardly ever stop and really look through someones table if they don't have prices on anything. I don't want to ask how much something is 20 different times, even if they are a little high, at least I know a starting point.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    be ready for some disappointment since just about everyone feels that their stuff should sell for more than what they are being offered.....but if you really don't want to sell an item for less than you have it marked then stay firm with your price......better to keep then to be disappointed later on the ride home. And as many have already shared from their experiences you need more than one set of eyes watching your items......I did shows for about eight years and always had either my son or daughter with me.....

al.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Write the show promoter and see if he has cases to rent- he should. They will pay for themselves in security.
    Put prices on everything, sign up TODAY with Square so you can get a credit card reader, and make sure you have a sign saying you take credit cards.
    Bring drinks and snacks so you won't have to leave the table if possible. Get there as early as you can and set up, a good deal of the sales are dealer to dealer before the show.
    Great everyone with a smile and a hello, and if possible have something to give the little kids that show up at the show.
    Good luck and have fun!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    All good advice. Yes definitely secure some cases and sign up for a square account so you can receive credit card payments. A back-up table with a tablecloth is also helpful to bring so you'll have somewhere to put back-up inventory and other supplies, and you can put packing boxes, a dolly etc under the table so they don't junk up your space.
    Good luck!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your PMs. I am not far from you and may be able to help you out with display cases and a small upright rack that would fit on your table to give you more display space for boxes.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>Write the show promoter and see if he has cases to rent- he should. They will pay for themselves in security.
    Put prices on everything, sign up TODAY with Square so you can get a credit card reader, and make sure you have a sign saying you take credit cards.
    Bring drinks and snacks so you won't have to leave the table if possible. Get there as early as you can and set up, a good deal of the sales are dealer to dealer before the show.
    Great everyone with a smile and a hello, and if possible have something to give the little kids that show up at the show.
    Good luck and have fun! >>

I agree with all of this. Here's some more stuff I've gleaned from doing shows.

Your appearance...

1. Your appearance is important. I know it sounds crazy, but I won't buy from a slob and most people won't. Wear something casual but nice. If you have something with your favorite team on it, wear that. It will be great conversation starter. Also, look at what others are wearing. If they're wearing team stuff, talk to them about it.

2. Make sure you take snacks, but try not to eat when someone is at your table. It looks sloppy. This is why it's good to have someone else with you. You can eat while they take questions.

Table appearance...

I set up my table in this order moving left to right. I also have an 8 ft. table, so I know your space is limited.

1. I put my most expensive items in a locked case first. By the way, PRICE EVERYTHING. I know there are theories out there about price vs. not pricing. But most people DON'T like to haggle and having a price there is a helpful starting point for you. Then I have four 4 column monster boxes. Again, moving left to right... 1 box of 2 for a $1 (inserts, refractors, game used, auto's), 1 box of cheap vintage, 1 box of .25 cent cards, and 1 box of dime cards. I don't put dime cards in anything, but I do put the .25 box cards in penny sleeves and vintage and 2 for a dollar in top loaders or card savers. Behind the boxes I have a vertical board that I built that can hold up to 60 single cards. This has helped me tremendously with adding more space to a small table.

2. Bring a dark colored table cloth to put on your table. Most sellers won't have one, so it will help you stand out and look professional.

3. Have something you're willing to offer to customers who spend $50 or more. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. I give away Pete Rose Living Legend packs to anyone spending over $50. It's a nice way to say thanks.

4. If you can, bring a few things to put in your locked case to get people to come to your table that you have no intention of selling. Things like really expensive cards or unique items. Don't take more than a couple because of thieving hands, but it could draw people to the table. But only if you're comfortable in doing so.

Mis. stuff:

Here's some stuff you may or may not encounter...

1. Some dealers are going to come over to your table early if you set up before the doors open to cherry pick. Oftentimes these guys are going to haggle with you over price and want you to sell them your stuff dirt cheap. Don't completely buy into it. Realize that if they are a regular, they may hold more clout with regular buyers. This means, if you sell to them at a price you are comfortable with they will probably flip it for a higher price to someone they know will buy it. They will be able to sell to people you might not be able to because of their relationship with them. If you want a piece of the pie, it's good to sell to those sellers. If you don't care, then don't budge.

2. Set your prices competitively with Ebay. Why? Because most people have smart phones and will look up the price on ebay and see if they can get it cheaper. Not everyone will, but a lot do. Offer a price that is comparable and they will usually bite. Especially since they can get it there right now and don't have to pay shipping to buy from you. You may also get a schmoe who says, "I can get it cheaper on ebay." Don't buy it. Maybe they can, but usually they are just trying to bully you to knock your prices down.

3. Remember, your promoter cares about how their show is going. So if you have problems with someone, talk to the promoter about it. They want the reputation of the show to be stellar.

4. KEEP YOUR MONEY CLOSE AND ON YOURSELF. Cardinal rule here. Keep it in your pocket. Make sure to bring lots of change because most people are running to the ATM before they come and will pay you in $20's. I usually keep my coin change in a Crown Royal bag or plastic bag.

5. Stay till the end of the show. A lot of sellers leave early and miss out on those who come late. Even if it's tempting to go, stay. Twice last year I had a $200+ sell because I stayed to the end.

6. Keep an extra chair close for the old timers who might need to sit while they are going through your cheap boxes.

7. Be as kid friendly as possible, but also don't be afraid to ask a parent to keep their kid from greasing up your cards.

8. Some sellers will try and bully you for various reasons. Sometimes because you're the new guy and they are mad because you are just one more person potentially taking profit from them. Don't listen to them. This doesn't usually happen, but it has happened to me before.

9. If you're willing to trade, have a sign saying so. Also, if you're accepting PayPal, put a sign up.

So...I know that's a lot. If I can think of anything else I'll post again. The biggest thing...HAVE FUN!!! I remember my first show was intimidating because I didn't have anything anyone wanted. It was around the time when game used and auto's started showing up and I didn't have any. So just remember that you're doing this because you wanted to and to have fun. Get to know some of the other sellers. Most of them are probably really great people. The guy I set up next to is a CU member here and he's a very stand up guy. Part of the reason I set up when I can is to hang out and catch up with collecting stuff with him.

PM if you have any questions.
  • Options
    Small world, I just moved to Greenville 3 months ago and attended the show on Pleasantburg rd in Feb. It was super slow and mainly comics being sold. The good news for you is I didn't see anyone selling old wax. I set up at over 150 shows between 1986 and 1997 and the info about having someone help is a must. Don't place any cards flat on the table that you don't mind losing. Trick #1: customer lays a binder or Beckett down and starts looking around or talking to you, when you are distracted, he picks up the binder along with the card underneath the binder and walks away. Others can chime in with the most common cons they have experienced.

Have fun and don't take tons of duplicate inventory until you see what sells.

I have an Allstate display case if you would like to borrow it and you're close by. I had 8 of them but sold all but 1, just in case I ever decided to do another show.
    Ask the promoter if he has backup tables available and get a plastic shelf and place it on the backup table then stack all your wax and sets on the shelf behind you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Paul
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I don't sell at shows, but I have to say it's fun reading these tips. Helps us buyers understand the point of view of the seller.
  • Options
    Ya'll are so awesome .... you know it. It really is a brotherhood here, isn't it!!
  • Options
    I have 4 or 5 of these clip tracks and used them to increase my display space. Each unit holds 50 toploaders, they just snap in place and you can flip thru them easily. These are great for mid priced cards and not much chance of theft and take up very little table space.

• Options
    Paul .... wonderful suggestions. Maybe we'll meet up in Greenville and share stories. Thanks for lending expert show advise to a novice.

The clip track you show looks great for individual cards, but not sure how it could help with selling just boxes (that's what I have to sell).

I'll bring all this great board info together, process it and hit you back as needed.

Thanks again, very much

Rick
  • Options
    If you are only selling wax boxes then you have no problems. I thought you were going to sell singles and other small items. Get a stool and sit back and have some fun. Over/under on the # of times someone tells you the story of "good ole mom" throwing away their cards.

I'll go with 7 since it is a small show. Ha!

Paul
  • Options
    I got some good advice from board members a few years back when I did my first show....i echo many of the comments already made, but emphasize a few and propose something different below

1) Ensure you have bargain boxes...I did a $1 box and a $0.25 box. I got most of my attention on these. People are looking for value at shows. I found they bought on value vice paying premium for a pop 1 PSA graded card and the likes.

2) I was selling a ton of PSA graded cards, many valued $100+ per. I got several tables as a bargain from the promoter, but I did not have locking display cases to protect my items. So it was recommended to me by a board member on a post similar to this that I buy some pre-cut Plexiglas pieces that would fit on tables from Lowes and overlay my psa graded cards and writing in black sharpie above each card a price on the plastic. I did this and it worked great...people could see what they were getting, prices were right there, and no one could steal. When someone wanted to see a card up close, I would lift the Plexiglas, hand them the card, and then replace it back where it came from assuming they did not buy it. I highly recommend this as a cheap alternative to locking display cases.

3) Finally, you are going to have to take bathroom breaks. Ensure you have a friend or fellow dealer (who you trust) watch your stash when you walk away for a break. Set this up ahead of time. You do not want to turn over your inventory to a random dude...

Meatloaf
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Avoid fees on the BST board. Unopened sells well.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>Avoid fees on the BST board. Unopened sells well. >>

You know, I have never used the BST boards but think it's a wonderful idea.

My collecting goals have changed. I once was buying a lot of unopened boxes but that has started to take up too much room (just ask my wife). I am now shifting to selling the unopened and using the money to buy a few, high grade vintage cards.

I still plan to participate in this small, local card show (becasue I have always wanted to do one). But when it is over I might take all the rest and use BST instead of feebay.

Below is a sampling of what I'd like to sell over the next few months ...... Thanks again for ALL the input.

BASEBALL UNOPENED BOXES
    1977 Topps Wax
    1978 Topps Wax
    1979 Topps Wax
    1981 Fleer Wax
    1982 Donruss Wax
    1986 Topps Rack
    1986 Topps Wax
    1987 Donruss Wax
    1987 Topps Rack
    1987 Topps Wax
    1988 Donruss Wax
    1988 Topps Rack
    1990 Fleer Wax
    BASEBALL UNOPENED PACKS
    1970 Topps GAI Graded (7 total)
    1970 Topps Rack GAI Graded
    1972 Topps Wax (23 total)
    1981 Topps Cello (Ryan)
    1982 Fleer Cello (Ripken Rookie)
    1984 Fleer Cello (Rose)
    1984 Topps Cello (Rose)
    1987 Fleer Cello (Gwynn)
    1989 Fleer Cello (Biggio Rookie)
    1989 Fleer Cello (R Johnson Rookie, Canseco)
    FOOTBALL UNOPENED BOXES
    1978 Topps Wax
    1980 Topps Cello
    1983 Topps Wax
    1987 Topps Wax
    1989 Score Wax
    1991 Fleer Ultra Wax
    1991 Fleer Wax
    1991 Score Wax
    FOOTBALL UNOPENED PACKS
    1979 Topps Wax (4 total)
    1985 Topps Cello (Payton)
    HOCKEY UNOPENED BOXES
    1977/78 Topps Wax
    1980/81 Topps Wax
    1981/82 Topps Wax
    1988/89 Topps Wax
    1990/91 Score Wax
    HOCKEY UNOPENED PACKS
    1979/80 Topps Grocery (3 wax tray pack)
    1979/80 Topps Wax (2 total)
    GOLF UNOPENED BOXES
    1981 Donruss Wax
  • Options
    you have just dumped a barrel of blood into a sea of sharks.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you have just dumped a barrel of blood into a sea of sharks. >>

lol.....I was thinking just about the same thing....

I was also wondering the over/under on pm's received today.

aconte
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    "They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour."
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

aconte >>

I'll set the lines at 85 PMs from 28 unique IDs.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

aconte >>

I'll set the lines at 85 PMs from 28 unique IDs. >>

Yup.

• Options
  • Options
    In all seriousness, with inventory like that you could sell it all this week with no costs. Or in the next 5 minutes with a call to Steve Hart- assuming he hasn't tracked you down already.

• Options
    Whoa - not expecting to see that list! Great unopened! Too bad South Carolina is a few states away from me...
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    "Below is a sampling"

Matt

• Options

<< <i>Whoa - not expecting to see that list! Great unopened! Too bad South Carolina is a few states away from me... >>

Amen brotha!
  • Options
    My word .... I am speechless. Uhmmmmm, there is no way I can go thru all the PMs. I am a rookie no doubt, but did not expect this response.

I came to the boards asking for some show advise and now I am totally confused by all this. Now I am understanding why the show promoter asked for my list so he can put on his website and preview with a few of his key customers. My goodness.

Sorry if I can't respond to PM right now but here is what I'll do ..... I will sell what I can at the show (no clue if I can sell a little or a lot) and bring the rest to BST. At that point I'll respond to PMs (if my technological inefficiencies allow me to).

I have scoured ebay and BBCE websites to start gauging value so I still have some work to do before the March 22nd show.

QUESTION .... IF BBCE (for example) HAS A WAX PACK AT $25 AND MY BOX HAS 36 PACKS, IS IT FAIR TO ASSUME THE BOX SHOULD SELL FOR $900 ($25 X 36)? OR IS THERE A PREMIUM WITH SELLING A FULL BOX?

Thanks ya'll ... at 51 years old I have few surprises left in life. I think the experts reaction here has very much surprised me .......
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My word .... I am speechless. Uhmmmmm, there is no way I can go thru all the PMs. I am a rookie no doubt, but did not expect this response.

I came to the boards asking for some show advise and now I am totally confused by all this. Now I am understanding why the show promoter asked for my list so he can put on his website and preview with a few of his key customers. My goodness.

Sorry if I can't respond to PM right now but here is what I'll do ..... I will sell what I can at the show (no clue if I can sell a little or a lot) and bring the rest to BST. At that point I'll respond to PMs (if my technological inefficiencies allow me to).

I have scoured ebay and BBCE websites to start gauging value so I still have some work to do before the March 22nd show.

QUESTION .... IF BBCE (for example) HAS A WAX PACK AT $25 AND MY BOX HAS 36 PACKS, IS IT FAIR TO ASSUME THE BOX SHOULD SELL FOR $900 ($25 X 36)? OR IS THERE A PREMIUM WITH SELLING A FULL BOX?

Thanks ya'll ... at 51 years old I have few surprises left in life. I think the experts reaction here has very much surprised me ....... >>

No, when you buy in bulk there's a discount usually but it depends on the scarcity of the product you have.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    I would think a full box unopened would command more than if broken down pack by pack, seems illogical with most card/lot sales but this would assure that certain "hot" packs were not cherry picked
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to compare your selling prices by adding about 20%+/- to BBCE's Buy Prices. Unopened 70's and early 80's stuff has increased at an alarming rate lately. Don't get taken.
  • Options
    For at least the 70's stuff, you could get a premium for the box vs the pack price. Condition should or could play a part in the pricing.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>Be sure to compare your selling prices by adding about 20%+/- to BBCE's Buy Prices. Unopened 70's and early 80's stuff has increased at an alarming rate lately. Don't get taken. >>

Yes!

aconte
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    SHARKS.... "We're gonna need a bigger boat"image
  • Options
    Take your time!! A lot of sharks out there thinking of ways to take advantage of you right now as you read his.

You have a quality collection which should command premium value/dollars. Do your research. You can get top dollar form what you have.

A lot of what you have...the 70s early 80s you could probably hold out for above what you've found as the highest price they've gone for.
  • Options
    custom352custom352 Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Great information GURU, thanks!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely(GURU) nailed just about all of it.....don't be a slob and eat a buffet at your table. That always looks so unprofessional. Be polite and act like you want to sell things. Some dealers look like they already hate being there and it's only 10 am on the 1st day. And the #1 "DONT"....If you're going to be on your cell phone or computer non stop=== just stay home.imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Take your time!! A lot of sharks out there thinking of ways to take advantage of you right now as you read his.

You have a quality collection which should command premium value/dollars. Do your research. You can get top dollar form what you have.

A lot of what you have...the 70s early 80s you could probably hold out for above what you've found as the highest price they've gone for. >>

This.

• Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    It's been awhile since I've done a show (23 yrs ago was my last).
    Don't they still require a resale #?