Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thread of the Year Award

For most of the last 5 years, we have nominated and named a poster of the year, and given them the coverted and yet imaginary, Mike Stone Award, named from the first honory.

(Interestingly, there is a good chance you will get banned or just pretty much leave if you win it.)

I have no nomination for the Mike Stone Award, however I suggest we continue to this tradition, with a new Thread of the Year Award. I also nominate another Mike as the first recepiant, and suggest we present a thekid8 Thread of the Year Award.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to BunchOBulls, 1990 Topps NNOF Thread. Although technically, that should like be a 2009 nomination. (This is a write-in ballot).

Clear Skies,
Mark
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    i nominate mike navarro, not only his willingness to go that extra mile for his collection but his first rate post explaining the hunts on most, and his top dad awardness sharing the experience with his family,, always enjoy looking at his post,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i nominate mike navarro, not only his willingness to go that extra mile for his collection but his first rate post explaining the hunts on most, and his top dad awardness sharing the experience with his family,, always enjoy looking at his post,,, bj >>

+1
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I nominate Mike's "A year of Gary Carter" thread. Its a daily read for me.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I nominate Mike's "A year of Gary Carter" thread. Its a daily read for me. >>

I second this
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    i really appreciate it anytime a member of this community takes the time to post pictures for the board to enjoy. mike does this as often as anybody and his autographed rookie card thread is one i look at all the time. +1 for mike.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    I'd also like to cast my vote for Mike Navarro.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Someone should create a sigline award that all the past winners can show off.

BTW I'll give a +1 to Mike winning this year.
  • Options
    I'll change my name to Mike and get back to you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any DPeck wrestling thread.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I vote for Mike Navarro as well.

Carter thread is a close second. Also a fun thread to read.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'll vote for Mark (MeteoriteGuy) and his Yearbook thread. I think it is the most interesting and unique thread about collecting that's been posted in awhile. No disrespect to Navarro as his thread and pursuit is Hall of fame worthy, but Mark's is so different in scope that it should garner mention...
  • Options
    Hi image I'm Mike and you can find all of my Hall of Fame autographs on eBay right now... Click this link here ----->

JK. I always enjoy looking at his new additions and Marks additions in the yearbook thread.

2 Great members of this board!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I also vote for the Gary Carter thread. He hasn't missed a beat! Mike Navarro came in a very close second.

I think 'Rookie Member of the Year' should go to Muggyman!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    My vote goes toward the "1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan" thread. There are several smaller derivations of this thread, but the core thread is the one with 1000+ posts. This captivated the attention of all who followed for several months and was frequently dubbed the "dude's soap opera" thread.

75% drama + 15% Wrestling education + 10% altered facebook pics = thread of the year IMO..

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
    One more vote for the Mike and Maven show. Great thread not only for Mike's incredible autograph collection and his willingness to share it with us but also for his devotion to his family.

Second place to the collective DPeck wrestling threads (too closely related to separate) for the education and insight into what was before a little-known subgroup of collecting.
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Options

<< <i>I also vote for the Gary Carter thread. He hasn't missed a beat! Mike Navarro came in a very close second. >>

+1
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    The Gary Carter thread doesn't appeal to all collectors.

Mike's threads do.

Also, Mark's yearbook thread, even though it creeped the heck out of my girlfriend.

And, of course the thread Mcadams mentioned, "1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan" the original was great.

But IMO it should be the NNOF thread. In 2010 a lot happened. The cumulative efforts of the core posters in that thread for 2010 were able to get the theory published and the errors recognized by Beckett on their flips.

2010 was a rewarding year for those involved in the NNOF thread.

+1 for the NNOF thread.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I have a split vote.
    I get so much enjoyment watching the RIP's that I have to point to both Muggyman and fergie23 for their awesome adventures into the unopened packs!

You never know what you're gonna get, but it will be fun. Muggy has been the more prominent recently, but over the course of the year they both have
    had some really cool stuff.
    +1 Muggyman
    +1 fergie23

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

<< <i>I have a split vote.
    I get so much enjoyment watching the RIP's that I have to point to both Muggyman and fergie23 for their awesome adventures into the unopened packs!

You never know what you're gonna get, but it will be fun. Muggy has been the more prominent recently, but over the course of the year they both have
    +1 Muggyman
    +1 fergie23 >>

How could I forget Muggy and Fergie!

Mugg's videos are fun to watch and Fergie's rips have been a blast to see for years.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a split vote.

+1 Muggyman
    +1 fergie23 >>

These two members are why i came back to this place
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well, gotta throw one in the ring for the since defunct how do we get rid of corvette?? thread, since i'm the one who started it. imageimage

in spite of its ultimate trainwreckery, the replies and some of the good humor were worth it......and Tommy handled it well.

in all seriousness, the fact that not just one or two, but several lasting threads have been worth reading and preserving says a lot about this forum, and in spite of itself, it does give us a lot of memorable times.
  • Options
    Muggyman and his unopened pack videos.
  • Options
    As there is no clear voice of opinion. Tonight I will go through the thread and take the top three vote getters and place them in a poll listing.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Their two members are why i came back to this place >>

That's hawt!!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I thought the award was for the best "poster" of the year not the best single "thread!?"

If so, I think someone like thenavarro who provides a ton of information and enthusiasm would be a good winner.
  • Options
    up for the poll
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Ties go to anyone that also contributed by setting up one of the forum fantasy fb leagues?
  • Options
    Alright...final completely unofficial vote count. We had a split vote so I gave two vote points to each voter. See new post for poll.

Navarro: 14 (+2 for late vote below)
    Gary Carter Thread: 10
    Wrestling Thread: 4
    Muggyman: 3
    Getting Rid of Corvette: 2
    NNOF: 2
    Yearbook: 2
    Fergie23: 1
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'd have voted for the Kruk shill bidding threads, but they've been deleted. Instead, I'll vote for Mike's updated autographed card collection thread.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>i really appreciate it anytime a member of this community takes the time to post pictures for the board to enjoy. >>

I agree, except that I think Mike might be holding out the best pictures.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I vote for myself.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    was the work of summerof68 done this year...

if so, the year aint over...

belated honorable mention for him...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>was the work of summerof68 done this year...

if so, the year aint over...

belated honorable mention for him... >>

It was super rushed (don't know why) and given out before the year was over.

Nominations should have been discussed for a couple weeks with another week for voting.

And you're right, year isn't over with. Summerof68 did some fantastic detective work with pack selling fraud.

But, eh, it's all for fun right image and Mike's TTM thread does rock!