Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I sold a card to a soldier in Iraq. UPDATE: His address and want list posted

I sold a few things off my store this weekend, and when I went to check the addresses of the buyers, one of them is stationed in Iraq. Pretty cool that guys over there serving our country that are collectors too.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• scoutsout47scoutsout47 Posts: 520 ✭✭
    I purchased quite a few items while in the box, but I never changed my mailing address to an APO because mail can get shuffled around quite a bit while traveling aboard a C-130 or in somebody's HMMWV. Most soldiers have lots of free time to surf the Bay over there.
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    How much was the item that the person in iraq bought? If its soMething reasonable ill send you a paypal for that amount and refund his money.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How much was the item that the person in iraq bought? If its soMething reasonable ill send you a paypal for that amount and refund his money. >>

very nice gesture sir.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    That is a great gesture. It was a 71 Topps Frank Linzy PSA 7 purchased for $9.99.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    paypal sent. phew.. glad it wasn't a 52 mantle.. i would have had to start a collection.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
  • ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Good for you, eagles33. That was really nice.
    Brett
  • goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    proper..........
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • bowman54bowman54 Posts: 118 ✭✭
    A+ Eagles33, 5 STARS
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How much was the item that the person in iraq bought? If its soMething reasonable ill send you a paypal for that amount and refund his money. >>

Nice! Not too many "good eggs" left...
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    VERY nice of you
    HOPEFULLY someone pays it forward to you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • scooperqprscooperqpr Posts: 438 ✭✭
    very very nice of you.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

+ 10

for

eagles33

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Eagle.

My son is at Navy boot camp right now. He's in his 4th week and we got our first phone call yesterday. He sounded great, can't wait to head to Great Lakes for graduation.

"Molon Labe"

I refunded him this morning for the card. Again, mega-props to Eagle 33 for this terrific gesture. I'll let everyone know if he responds.
    Ron Burgundy

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    That was a great gesture and thread. Looking forward to seeing if he responds to the credit.

brian
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I love hearing stories like this. It's people like him that make soldiers feel good and as a former Marine who served 2 tours in hellish Iraq... I say thanks!
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Very nice gesture. Kudos to you, sir.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, a very nice gesture on Eagles part.

What do you collect Eagle?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    image Eagles!
    Thanks everyone for the kudos.. its no big deal.. its only 10 bucks. I just hope it lets him know that there are people over here that appreciate what he is doing for our country.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    invite him here Ron
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool gesture all the way around. Kudos to Ron and Eagles. I'm a soldier myself and that would make my day. It's a $9.99 card; but a 9 million dollar gesture of thoughtfulness.image
    I received a message from our soldier-collector over there:

"Hello sir, I just arrived back at my base here in southern Iraq and found your most generous message, while I am one to not take gratuity for just doing my job I sincerely appreciate your kindness and generosity..I am proud to wear the United States Army uniform and serve our country with integrity and honor..I am grateful and humbled for your gift to me... Thank You."

Good work, board members.

Ron Burgundy

• What does he collect? I'd like to add to his collection.

• KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    outstanding!! What a nice gesture!
    He bought a 71 Topps card in PSA 7 from me.
    Ron Burgundy

• the really really cool idea is to somehow put his address out and have everyone send him some cards, huh?,, how cool would that be, some what of a forum pet project,, cards for soldiers type of thing,,,bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    That's awesome! I agree with the others above, let's help add to his collection.

YUT!
  • Kudos to all involved and I am in on the sending him some cool cards. If we can get his address that would be great.

1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love hearing stories like this. It's people like him that make soldiers feel good and as a former Marine who served 2 tours in hellish Iraq... I say thanks! >>

I thought there was no such thing as a "former" Marine? image Once a Marine, always a Marine, right? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    LOL, that's very true. I would also love to add to his collection and want to thank everyone for helping out this guy!
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Great Thread, If we put a care package together for this guy, please let me know, as I have some stuff to add.
    Lets try to find a signed pic rick monday saving the flag and send it to him. I still get fired up when I see the clip on youtube. I think its fitting.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    VERY VERY cool!

Very cool gesture by Eagles33.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Three cheers for Eagles33!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Post his address. I am in for sending him some cards as well. Imagine his face when he gets all these cards from our board members. HE DESERVES IT!

EDITED TO ADD: For all those who may want to do a little more, sending him a care package would be welcomed as well. For you guys who have been there, what items did you enjoy receiving the most?????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Great idea from our great board members to send him a card care package. I heard back from him again last night, and he's working on a 71 set. So I'll get the list of cards he needs (he said he's down to 45 cards in PSA 7 and 8 and has most of the stars) and maybe we can send him some of those along with some other cool cards (I'll find out who his favorite team, player, etc.) I can coordinate sending it to him, or if individuals want to work on their own, ok with me.

Let me know your thoughts and we'll get a consensus on how to proceed. Great stuff guys!
    Ron Burgundy

• slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Awesome thread. I don't have any cards to throw in but would add a few bucks to the purchase pile if there is one.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    46 1 16880188 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 381 FRED GLADDING
    47 1 16880189 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 392 GRANT JACKSON

got these two.....plz lmk if they are on his list and i'll send 'em.

excellent gesture by all here, this IS a great forum.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got some PSA 7's. Once he sends his want list, I'll check it and see if I can help him out.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome thread. I don't have any cards to throw in but would add a few bucks to the purchase pile if there is one. >>

Same here
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Same here for me. Post the list and I'll try and find one on ebay and have the seller ship it to him directly.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    This is fantastic. I'm emailing him right now to get his list, and will post it as soon as I get it. I will also ask him what other cards, sets, etc. he's working on.

Makes me feel good about our country and what Americans will do for one another. Just awesome.
    Ron Burgundy

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I rarely find a thread here that interests me much anymore. This is a good one though. Thanks for the great work guys.
    Ron ... Please ask him what GOODIES he would prefer in a care package. I've sent a couple before, but it would be great to know beforehand what items (food, toiletries, etc...) he would enjoy most.

Please post his address, as it will be easier for me to ship it to him directly.

For all who send something to him directly, I think it would be great if you mentioned that you were a member of this board!

HEY JOE O. ... it would be nice if your employees and you joined in. I bet it would make this soldier real happy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• i dont want to sound mean but i think the soldiers earn brownie points with the kids over there i wonder if you sent a bunch of your 80's and 90's crap just for them to hand out,, heck, all countries shut down during the soccer matches they just had i wonder if the kids over there would like a handfull of players from a diff game,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • In January, a soldier stationed in Afghanistan won my ebay auction for a Bob Griese rookie card graded PSA 9.

When I saw his address, I figured I'd send him something in addition to the card. I emailed him and asked if there was something I could send him - basically what did he need or what would he like and he said they can't get peanut brittle there.

So, I figured gee peanut brittle. Well, the least I could do was send him some peanut brittle - so I went online found this company in California (See's Candies) that supposedly has some of the best anywhere.

We'll, I shipped him his card and sent a note to expect something later. I ordered 5 lbs. of Peanut Brittle from See's Candies and about 2 1/2 months later I got the nicest email from the soldier thanking me and telling me how much everyone enjoyed the peanut brittle.

Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any 71's, but would be happy to contribute some $ for him to finish his set.