Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Kyle Carpenter is in Brain surgery today - Please say a prayer.25% chance is IN his favor.

His Family asked me if I could find a Derek Jeter Autograph which I'm in progress of looking for.This kid has no shot in making it through but he's in good spirits and all he talks about is the Yankees and Jeter.

Does anybody know a way that I can possibly write to Jeter or something?

Or does anybody have an autograph something of Jeter they are willing to sell that I could buy if my friends already have not?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry to have this news but it's one of those things I just can't keep inside.

Comments

• Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    I would assume you can contact the Yankees orgs PR department, or try contacting Make a Wish foundation. Even maybe contacting Jeters PR/Agent.

I would do it in writing and ALSO a phone call. When making the call inquire if sending a letter from the hospital/doctor would/could expidite things.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'll check with the guys on the Beckett boards (I'm sure someone there has one they could donate).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob
    Let me know if you got my PM. Edit: I have an auto card to donate if no one has a ball or pic.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    this one looks pretty neat, his feedback kinda sucks, but maybe if we explain the situation he'll be O.K. I'd be willing to pitch in a few bucks for it, anybody else?
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    Try emailing Steiner Sports. Perhaps they could help you out.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'll throw in 10 bucks, which I know isn't much but I hope will help. If you get some time, Rob, send my your paypal address to boopotts@yahoo.com. If the kid's basball card savy I'd be willing to chip in some more to get him a 'good one'.

This is just horrible news. It's one of those deals where you'd just do anything in the world to cure him.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Hey Guys,thanks for the quick replies.I'm not home right now but will get back to everyone later on.

I got the kids Aunt trying to contact make a wish and see if she can get in touch with any of the other suggestions.

The problem is nobody knows how long he's going to be around.

I will get back to everyone tonight!

Thank you for your unseflish efforts and ideas.

• Options
    Count me in for ten if we do it through ebay, I'll have to mail somebody the cash though cause' I don't have paypal! Will get it out right away though.image
  • Options
    Hey guys!My sister is going to give me the address and if anyone wants to do anything they can send a letter a card or whatever to the kid's aunt directly.Would that be okay?I'll get it later tonight and post it on this thread.

Also,My sister found all the websites to Make a wish and I think the Yankees websites so I guess they are trying to see who they can get in contact with.Thanks Aknot - great idea

Boopotts,I wish there was a way to reverse the kids condition but from what I understand there isn't.However,surprisingly he's in good spirits and his friends and family are just trying to keep him happy until God takes him to a better place.

• Options
    Got the address.

Cynthia Jackson
    72 Brookdale Rd
    Seymour, CT 06483

The boys name is Kyle Carpenter
    He's in New Haven at Yale Childrens Hospital on the7th floor.
  • Options
    Hey Guys thanks so much for the ideas and to whom that put togethor a little care package for Kyle.I have some Jeter cards that are going to him tomorrow too.

My sister and sister in law(Address above) are the ones who are making sure these things will be getting to him.

Ultimately they want an autograph of some kind so I'm hoping to maybe go to a good dealer or even Steiner and find a baseball.I'm in you $20 on it too.

Thanks so much for all the kindiness around here.It certainly says a great deal about what makes this board such a great place.

You're all doing a nice thing for this kid and if all we can do is bring him a little smile then it's the best that could be done.Espically since Jeter has been the only thing he's been talking about to his parents when they ask him if there is anything that could be done for him.Hopefully the Make a wish foundation can do the ultimate thing and get Jeter down to New Haven one day but that's a long shot and the clock is ticking for Kyle.

I've been torn up over this all day and too busy and too p!ssed off to break down over it.

Life's too short,folks.

Got children?

Hug em.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Such a shame... really puts things into perspective.
    I should have some Jeter cards from the past few years
    to mail out. This thread deserves to be at the top.

In fact, ya know what... I'm sure everyone around here trusts
    you, Rob, so why don't you do this: post your email address
    that you use for Paypal. If a bunch of us chips in a mere $5
    to $10 each, like a few already have, maybe we could build up
    a nice fund. With a few hundred bucks, I'm sure we could probably
    find some really sweet items with authentic Jeter sigs. We could
    really make this kid's day, and with not many days left this could
    really make a difference. Maybe we won't collect that much, but let's
    put it out there and ask. It might actually be fun shopping around
    for the item if people here contribute, and I don't see why they won't.

Let's give it a shot. Count me in for $10. LET'S DO IT!!!
    One suggestion: maybe change the subject line or start a new
    thread to better represent what we're trying to accomplish here.
    I'll admit, I hesitated opening this thread because I had a bad day
    and didn't really feel like hearing bad news. I'm glad I did, though...

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    All,

We can discuss, applaud, entertain, be jovial, be angry, be envious, bla-bla-bla towards others over our cards and our hobbies, but what Rob brings to these boards in the way of life's realities is caring and unselfish. He knows what's REALLY important and isn't afraid to say so.

I'm in for the cause and I hope you can be to. I wish more people viewed life as Rob does, as we'd be all be much better off.

I'm now going to shut down the computer and give an extra special hug to my little daugher.

Thank you Rob.
    Bill
  • Options
    I don't have paypal, but I'll send a $10 bill out tomorrow, where can I send it too? It's not the address above is it?
  • Options
    This is the kind of spirit that I like to see - everyone pooling together - I spoke with Rob and there are people who are sending stuff directly. I have a package going out to his aunt tomorrow with a Beckett WS Yankee cover, a Tuff Stuff Jeter cover, a Mickey Mantle picture, a Jeter 03 Heritage card and a Fleer Hardball AUTO card of Derek Jeter. I think if we put a few bucks in to help Rob, we can also get an autographed ball from Steiner. I am very impressed with the outpouring of feelings and will go to bed tonight with a really good feeling.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    Jesus!Be assured it will be know to the people it matters most to this kid's life what went on here today.

For those of you who asked,Kyle is NOT my nephew.He is my sister's sister in law's daugher's best friend.(In the 11 to 12 range).I will spare you the remainder of details.,(sorry for lack of response - at work where time is short for thinking about everything but work.)

Thanks so much!You don't know how thankful I am!All I wanted to do was find a good ball but there's a whole lot more good that came from it.Mike - you don't know how shocked my sister was when I noted that.Griffins,I'd love to read any book you write.In fact you have something in common with someone in the subject content. image

I'm gonna try to loacte a ball tomorrow.Someone said Steiner is a little expensive but we'll find one that's (Only reason I choose Steiner) "real" for the kid and Hopefully one will be nailed down by tomorow.The clock is ticking for this kid so I'll try my best to get this if it's the last thing this kid will be happy to see in his cut short lfe.

So far from what little they do know about us locating a ball they were overjoyed despite the circumstances and they will not forget you nor will I.

• Options
    WOW!!..I was going to stay away from this..but here I am.

My heart goes out to that young man..and to his parents. As one who has lost a son, there is nothing in this world as devastating. No one, and I mean no one, can fathom or understand the pain except another parent who has suffered the loss of a child.

Rob, once you determine what you are going to do, let us know and count me in!!

YES..HUG YOUR KIDS!!..but not just tonight or tomorrow because you read this..but all the time. When it comes to your children, it really is a case of "Don't sweat the small stuff".

Jeez!..gotta go..getting teary eyed and sniffling.

Best to all.

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Skip,thanks for the PM.

Skip I've been up all night after getting home from work latenight and have been teary eyed and cracked since getting the call to do this.I'm really,really sorry for making anyone feel sad by inviting everyone into my personal business.It was just hard not to bring up the why I'm looking for a piece of sports memorabilia.Unlike the usual"Hey! My kids birthday is next week and he's a Jeter fan,think can you get me an autograph?"

Here is my plan...I'm going to call Steiner and an authorized reputable Steiner dealer down in NY this morning as soon as they open.If I can get the baseball from out there today I'm going to take a little trip out to NY this morning to get it and make sure Kyle gets it before it's too late.

As soon as it's nailed down you'll know about it.

My Paypal address is right here or just click on my profile here

Please be sure to include your address so the family can write back to everyone involved.

Thank you
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Rob make sure you post the final outcome of what you plan to do. i don't have anything modern or anything jeter but I would love to pitch in.

I didn't open this yesterday as I wasn't in the mood for sad news but now regret I waited so long to reply. Having a 2 1/2 year old daughter, I can't even imagine what is going through this families mind. I am not religious but god bless as these are the things you can never understand in life and can only hope he is going to a better place
  • Options
    What a sad story... good luck getting the ball! My small paypal contribution has been sent. I didn't include my address, because the family has bigger issues than to worry about responding to me. As a father of 3, I would be devastated if any of them got sick.

It's great that you are helping support them. God bless you!

• Options
    Here (little late but....)

New York Yankees
    Yankee Stadium
    E. 161 St. and River Ave.
    Bronx, NY 10451
    718-293-4300

"ALSO" Please remember to not only Hug your child but to correct them "properly" when necessary.

Put me down for $10.00 will PP in about 5 mins.
  • Options
    I did a search on Ebay and found a good deal. Item # 4120781666 is a 2003 Jeter Authentix Jersey/Auto with a Buy It Now of $75. I would be willing to split this one with somebody if they are interested. It books for $150. Let me know.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I got the ball from a steiner dealer close by and it came to $300 out the door.The guy even gave me a couple packs of 2004 Topps.

Everyone who contributed I will make it known that you helped and someone will be sending you their thanks as I am going to gather everyone's addresses.My cousin in law is going to want to presonally thank each and every one for their helping her friend Kyle smile so please let her do that at the very least.

So far you've contributed $120 and if it goes over I will ask you to stop.If you don't want to to stop I'm going to go back to the store I got it from and get some other odds and ends for the kid.But really everyone's been too kind and from myself to the family are in complete awe.

• Options
    Glad we could help. My god thats a big ball. What did he do use two hands to sign it? And its nice to know that the Kraft products are still on sale.

• Options
    Rob,
    Paypal sent. Great job in getting the ball.
    Let me know if you fall short of the $300 needed.
    Bill
  • Options
    Rob,

You have mail! God bless!

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    Thats a nice ball. I'm very happy to be a part of this. image
  • Options
    Aknot image

Thanks for the comic relief!

Without the help of everyone I would have this great feeling right now.

I'm so glad I didn't have to drive 67 to 100 miles to NY to locate this ball.Steiner told me this morning that if I wanted to pick it up today it would be a $20 Rush and a $15 pickup fee on top of $349.

The store owner I got it from I thought was going to charge me the $349 which I was expecting to pay but he said $300 and gave me 2 packs of 2004 Topps to boot.

As for everyone here,I wasn't expecting anything more than to find a real baseball and quick.Without all of you I wouldn't have the chance to get this ball to Kyle today.

I will NOT forget anybody for this and please don't hesitate to ever call on me in a time of need if you ever need help,I will do whatever I can.

Thank you!

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    this shows the true character of this board . I almost stopped reading a few weeks ago but glad I didn't . rob you've got mail!
  • Options
    We're at $201.

• Options
    PP sent.

<< <i>I didn't include my address, because the family has bigger issues than to worry about responding to me. >>

I agree with redsfan..Rob, why don't you have them do one note to all, and you scan & post on the board?

<< <i>The store owner I got it from I thought was going to charge me the $349 which I was expecting to pay but he said $300 and gave me 2 packs of 2004 Topps to boot. >>

Rob, post the name and location of the store..sounds like the kind of fellow I would do business with.

<< <i>this shows the true character of this board . I almost stopped reading a few weeks ago but glad I didn't . >>

packCollector: same here....board was fast turning into the B/S/T board

Regards to all,
    Skip

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    PP sent...send all of our wishes along with the ball.

Mark
  • Options
    Hi guys
    Roach
    So we don't overlap too much - I sent out priority today my package which included a Fleer hardball AUTO card of Jeter and other Jeter stuff - at this point with the ball, if anyone has any neat Jeter or Yankee stuff, I think that would give Kyle a nice variety of things. I am so impressed and pleased with the outpouring of generosity from people who only know each other in most cases from the printed word - but now I call you my friends! God bless.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>but now I call you my friends!
    Mikeimage >>

Can I call you the uncle that no one wants to have over for the Holidays? Frank I think his name was........

Yup one big "Thanks" is better then a lot of little ones.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi guys
    Roach
    So we don't overlap too much - I sent out priority today my package which included a Fleer hardball AUTO card of Jeter and other Jeter stuff - at this point with the ball, if anyone has any neat Jeter or Yankee stuff, I think that would give Kyle a nice variety of things. I am so impressed and pleased with the outpouring of generosity from people who only know each other in most cases from the printed word - but now I call you my friends! God bless.
    Mikeimage >>

Thanks Stone! I didn't get any offers, so I just sent a little extra via Paypal. This kid should be very excited with everything he gets. It makes me feel really good inside to know that I may be part responsible for at least one of this kid's smiles. We are all doing a VERY good thing here. There is definitely some great people on these boards.

TheRoach

• Options
    Folks.You did it!

We don't have to go any further from here.THE BALL IS PAID FOR!!!!!!....I repeat.....THE BALL IS PAID FOR!!!!!

Everyone pat yourselves on the back and then pat eachother on the back.You all are going to make a kid smile in his final days.Sad to say but you've done far more than you needed to for a total stranger and it says a lot about what kind of people are inside this community.I can't wait to tell my sister and sister in law the ball is all set thanks to all of you.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers too,I will forward them to the family and Kyle later today when I give him the baseball all of you bought for him.

As of the last dontation we are a few bucks over and need to go no further.I'll stop in the store I got the ball from and get some packs for the kid or maybe a box.

Go no further from here and let's call it a chain of good will.

Skip,I just might have Elaina come on the board under my ID and thank you herself.Also Skip,the shop I got the baseball from is First base sports cards.I don't think they do shows but they do a good business in the store.I'll post their contact information or ebay ID if they even have an ebay ID.

Another dealer who needs no introduction I'd like to really say thanks to is Steve Hart.If there is a person on ebay that I know everyone here should do business with it's surely him.For those of you who are unfamilliar with bbcexhange on ebay I think plenty of folks here can tell you he's a top notch dealer besides a great guy.

Another cat is the owner of Hartlands (our very own Mr.Baseball "HartlandMan")

Well,I don't know what else to say.... thanks to everyone just can't be said enough.

God bless all of you,your families and friends.

You are all a great bunch of people and much too kind to help out here.

Despite the circumstances,you've done a great thing individually & collectively.

I think I'm gonna go cry on my way to the store.

• Options
    Thanks Rob for the nice note to everybody concerned.................

But I think what REALLY shines the brightest is your understanding, compassion, willingness, and sincerity in helping someone in need. You took the ball and ran with it. I admire your caring and resolve.

I'd absolutely love to be a fly-on-the-wall when Kyle first see's these gifts.

Keep us posted,
    Bill
  • Options

<< <i>You took the ball and ran with it. >>

OK..... I wont make the joke but it is SOOOOOOO easy..... image
  • Options
    hey RobE, i would like to thank u for what u r doing. i just read this and would like to help someway possible. could i throw in some paypal (even though we're at $300)? i would like to throw in some cash (paypal). let me know. i myself am a big jeter fan (u guys probably know that already). i would like to help.
    "Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But I think what REALLY shines the brightest is your understanding, compassion, willingness, and sincerity in helping someone in need. You took the ball and ran with it. I admire your caring and resolve. >>

Bill said it better than I could, God bless ya Rob.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>This thread deserves to be at the top. >>

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Well from here on in there isn't much more that can be done but it seems that this vehicle just has not stopped for Kyle.

Earlier today I finally went to sleep knowing I wasn't going to make it home after being up since I got the news on Monday.I delivered the ball to my sister's house where her sister in law and niece came to pick it up.

They can't believe what went on and are very thankful.Unfortunately today Kyle was not allowed visitors but be assured that on Wed he will enjoy the fruits of our combined labor and you'll be the first to know about it.

I don't want to get into the detail of it all but it's really hard to say this....All the donations from here on in I can't see doing anyrhing more than just collecting it for the family.It's not that it's un appreciated but 1) I can't stop anyone as I'd probably do the same thing and 2) Nobody around here wants to offend anyone by not accepting anything.Therefore,all I'm going to do is take that money and give it to Mr.and Mrs Carpenter.Apraently I can't stop it and don't know what to say.

Also,when I left to go drop the ball off I used the extra $15 for a McFarland's Jeter in a dirty home uniform.The Store owner from First Base gave me a stack of flyers that everyone will be receiving and he wants to offer something to the family with his idea using the store he has and the flyers he gave me.You'll see,something like for every $20 spent in his store he want's to donate $10 to the Family.

I'll have to get the flyers back because I don't recall exactly what he wanted to do and My sister in law took them while I was passed out before I could explain.

I'll fill you guys in when the time comes.

Thanks!

Going back to sleep or home!

Rob

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob,

Take care and hang in there. You've done a Great Job so far and I for one, Salute Youimage

Please pass on my best wishes and prayers to Kyle and his family, and to you and yours also.

Steve Dawson
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ROB - I would like to send you a PSA Jeter rookie plus other cards for the youngster. Email, PM or call w/ your address...jay
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob,

I applaud you for helping those who can no longer help themselves, or be helped for that matter. I was later than most in receiving news about a collection for the ball to give to Kyle. I was amazed how fast people contributed, most not even posting here, but directly sending their contribution to you. No time was wasted and most did it without drawing a stir. Truely amazing!
    My thoughts are with Mr and Mrs Carpenter and wish for Kyle's days to be filled with joy and the people he loves.

Best

Andre
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    hey RobE, i would like to thank u for what u r doing. i just read this and would like to help someway possible. could i throw in some paypal (even though we're at $300)? i would like to throw in some cash (paypal). let me know. i myself am a big jeter fan (u guys probably know that already). i would like to help. pm me back. thanks.
    "Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
  • Options
    I have just delivered the Baseball to Kyle and have some news for everyone too.When I finish the document I think we can pray that Kyle's 25% chance to make it out of Brain surgery this Friday will save his life.The problem is they don't know if he's even going to make it to Friday.

If anyone feels like writing a letter to Kyle or doing anything that will make you feel good including a prayer or whatever - I'm to understand that if he survives the brain surgery it's a year of rehab and he might survive.

I'll be back with a response shortly and tell you what happened!

Edited because I made a mistake of his chances.Sorry

• Options
    Rob
    I hope Kyle gets my letter and package real soon. My prayers are with him as I have suffered similar pain in my life - there's nothing like support at this time. My son is in school in NY and I called him just to say I love him - no why did this cost......no what about these xtra cell phone minutes.....just a call.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Why brain surgery?
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    RobE...I have a GAI graded 1995 signature rookies autograph rookie card of Jeter...if you can contact the family, provide an address, I can express mail it to them first thing tomorrow morning (i'm at work now). It will get there Friday AM...please let me know if this is enough time.

E-mail me at johngrillo@sbcglobal.net immediately....thanks, Grillo
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com