Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone bidding on Memory Lane's Auction?

I was in on some early 70s baseball unopened but prices have gone too high now with buyer's premium.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Im bidding....
  • Options
    The 1958 Jim Brown is awful high, with the 19% buyers premium!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the thread I was able to track down the auction. It is in overtime!

Memory Lane

Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out.

• Options
    I made some early bids on about 10 really nice HOF Rookies so that I could bid in overtime. I am absolutely flabergasted at what the bids are up to, especially when you add the 19% buyer's premium:

1962 Perry PSA 8= $607 + 115 = $722
    1962 Brock PSA 8= $735 + 139 = $874
    1951 Fox PSA 8 = $502 + 95 = $597

Just to name a couple,

No thank you!

• Options

<< <i>I made some early bids on about 10 really nice HOF Rookies so that I could bid in overtime. I am absolutely flabergasted at what the bids are up to, especially when you add the 19% buyer's premium:

1962 Perry PSA 8= $607 + 115 = $722
    1962 Brock PSA 8= $735 + 139 = $874
    1951 Fox PSA 8 = $502 + 95 = $597

Just to name a couple,

No thank you! >>

Maybe dealers saw them in person and their gonna be PSA 9 soon
  • Options
    I suggest everyone take a look at the 1956 Ted Williams PSA 8 card. The VCP average for the card is $882.09. The bidding WITH the buyers premium....you ready for this??....$3,117.80. It IS a good looking '8'.....could this possible work its' way into a '9' holder???

• Options

<< <i>I suggest everyone take a look at the 1956 Ted Williams PSA 8 card. The VCP average for the card is $882.09. The bidding WITH the buyers premium....you ready for this??....$3,117.80. It IS a good looking '8'.....could this possible work its' way into a '9' holder???

image >>

hard to tell difference between 8-10 grades so maybe its a 10
  • Options
    ...it makes me not want to cosign any high grade cards.......ever.....again. Although I am sure the consignor of the Ted Williams card is gonna be thrilled at getting $3,000 for the '8'. Until he sees the winning bidder got it into a '9' or '10', and makes enough to buy a small car or a nice down payment on a house....
  • Options
    It's just so hard to say without the card in your hand & without a loupe.

In the past month I have received a Carter rookie PSA 9 & a Rice rookie PSA 8.5.
    With the naked eye, I think the 8.5 Rice is nicer with perfect centering. When I looked at the corners with my loupe, I could see a small amount of white on one corner. The PSA 9 Carter has NO white showing on any corners.

So, I would agree with their grades only after looking through a loupe.
  • Options
    True....I just think it odd that a card that averages between $800-$1,000 is all of the sudden selling for over $3,000+.........
  • Options

<< <i>True....I just think it odd that a card that averages between $800-$1,000 is all of the sudden selling for over $3,000+......... >>

Yes, your right! In this case I really think somebody has really looked this card over during the on site viewing & beleives they can get an upgrade to at least a 9.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>True....I just think it odd that a card that averages between $800-$1,000 is all of the sudden selling for over $3,000+......... >>

Yes, your right! In this case I really think somebody has really looked this card over during the on site viewing & beleives they can get an upgrade to at least a 9. >>

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    looks like a 9 to me...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I missed on the McCovey RC and the 48 Leaf Kiner. Oh well, quest continues........
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this 1929 Kashin Foxx psa 8 on last night's auction. This has always been my favorite Foxx card as it reflects the same pose that was later used on his 1933 and 1934 Goudey cards.

Phil

• Options
    Congrats, that is an absolute beauty.

They deffinately had some great looking cards last night.
  • Options
    Hey - let's not lose focus....let's watch a $3,500 Ted Williams #5 PSA 8 card somehow work it's way into a PSA 10 holder!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    back to the OP...yes I did, but did not win. Great '59 cello box !!

nice price on that beautiful Yaz rack too.

Stay happy!!

PS--what's a Code Red??? image
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭

I don't think it too odd, because so many guys speculate when it comes to bumps. That can be as addictive as any form of gambling. It is highly possible someone viewed this card with a loupe and is willing to bet the value difference between a high end PSA 8 and the hammer price that he gets a bump. We've all seen outstanding examples of a card in GRADE X sell for anomalous prices when it seems the card is woefully undergraded. PWCC had a PSA 8 Jackson RC a few months back that I bid into 8.5 range confidently, because I knew the card was a stellar 8-- but it sailed even over that. I guess someone wanted one of the best 8s around or was speculating for a bump.

Regarding that Ted Williams card, a scan can't tell the same story that an in-hand examination can, but damn that is a strong looking 8.

I am expecting to see the same auction performance of a HOFer on ebay right now, where the card is standout for its grade and I'm sure the bidding competition will be stiff, between collectors like myself, who will pay a premium for the strongest example of the given grade, and speculators looking for immediate bumps to flip for profit.

PSA was very smart business-wise when they instituted reviews and half point bumps, because they opened a whole new revenue stream and niche in the hobby. Bumping a whole grade seemed a tougher gamble and longer stretch than a half point, which could still be profitable. Couple that with the highly subjective nature of grading, wherein one grader's 8 is another's 9, etc, and anything can happen.