Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rare 1652 silver threepenny found in English field

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rare 17th century coin found in English field

<< <i>An extremely rare and well-preserved 17th century coin was found by an amateur treasure hunter last week in a field in Nottinghamshire, England, the Daily Mail reported.

John Stoner, 42, dug up a 1652 silver threepenny coin on Aug. 31, a piece that has been hailed as one of the finest examples of currency produced in the days of the Pilgrim Fathers,
as he ploughed the field in the village of King’s Clipstone.

On Monday, coin expert Peter Spencer confirmed it was a genuine threepenny piece, commissioned and struck in Boston, Mass.

“I handed it over to him and I think it’s fair to say he went white as a ghost,” Stoner said, according to the Daily Mail. “He said its condition was like the day it was struck.”

The single coin is not subject to treasure trove laws that require such finds be reported and handed to Crown officials. The coin is now reportedly in the United States and being
cleaned by an expert before it will be auctioned for sale in London in December.

In 2012, a silver Colonial Massachusetts coin from 1652 that was found in a potato field was auctioned for $430,000. Stoner’s coin could bring in $1.7 million, according to the Mail. >>

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me a minute to realize what this story is about. Odd to hear about it from that perspective. Kinda goes back to our conversation on the darkside forums about whether or not HI coinage is world coinage or US coinage.

If you haven't figured it out yet (or even if you have)...

Daily Mail article
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is strange to hear from Europe about coins made here. Thanks for posting a pic.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    While that is a really, really cool find for anyone to make. their estimate of value was -- let's say -- a little bit off.

That is an Oak Tree Threepence (Noe-23, Salmon 1-A), considered to be rarity-6.

A coin in that condition is worth maybe $10,000 to $20,000, depending on what it looks like after it is conserved.

Their estimate of $1,700,000 is a tad bit high, unfortunately.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thats an amazing find!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chain Cent that I recently discovered came to the States with a British family that had lived at least three generations in Canada. Among the many well worn British copper denominations in the descendants hands were the 1793 Chain, a Poor 1787 Massachusetts Cent and a counterstamped Good 1785 Nova Constellatio.
    Just goes to show that our Colonial and Post Colonial coinage did get around to other parts of the world.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While that is a really, really cool find for anyone to make. their estimate of value was -- let's say -- a little bit off.

A coin in that condition is worth maybe $10,000 to $20,000, depending on what it looks like after it is conserved.

Their estimate of $1,700,000 is a tad bit high, unfortunately. >>

Never let the facts interfere with a good story!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin and find!

The English article has a very interesting perspective image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but articles like this are suspect at best. Aside from the estimated value being a tad bit off, if the so called coin expert says "its condition was like the day it was struck", why is it "being cleaned by an expert"? And lets be real, does anyone honestly believe a coin would look like the day it was struck after being in the dirt for centuries?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " does anyone honestly believe a coin would look like the day it was struck after being in the dirt for centuries? "

Yes, there have been high grade coins recovered from sandy neutral soil, especially on the Mid-Atlantic seacoast. Several years ago, a metal detector recovered an almost uncirculated 1795 half dime from above a tidal river bank in South Carolina, at a site that had been previously hunted as a former C.S.A. army camp, but which also came to be recognized as the location of a post colonial settlement. L@@K !

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact, yes, as was just stated. Although gold (!), the Coenwulf coin found 10 years ago or so was/is absolutely mint and was over a 500k USD coin at the time & more now.
    Although reported in a newspaper, the Brits are quite famous for UNDERSTATING condition. My guess is that the coin was sent here for a more accurate assessment of value and to determine if any conservation might be required. Remember, even the Saddle Ridge gold coins were conserved.

If anything close in condition to as stated, I would be willing to bet this coin fetches substantially more than 20k USD....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A coin in that condition is worth maybe $10,000 to $20,000, depending on what it looks like after it is conserved.

Their estimate of $1,700,000 is a tad bit high, unfortunately. >>

Never let the facts interfere with a good story! >>

Never let a decimal point interfere with a good story
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a detectorist and a coin collector I'm kinda torn about the surfaces.

I see that as about as original though dug as you can get.

But I suspect in the hands of a skilled conservator, the devices and fields could be brought back to life.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While that is a really, really cool find for anyone to make. their estimate of value was -- let's say -- a little bit off.

A coin in that condition is worth maybe $10,000 to $20,000, depending on what it looks like after it is conserved. >>

I was in touch with the owner and told him what this was, and I know others did too, so surely he realizes its actual value by now.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since getting into ancients in 2009, I have learned to love coins with this kind of toning and dirt. I really like the look of this coin and actually think it looks better then if it was cleaned. It gives it some character.

Some ancient collectors would pay a premium for that kind of look over a cleaned one of the same grade.

Its not like this coin has bronze disease or something that it needs rescuing from.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, but articles like this are suspect at best. Aside from the estimated value being a tad bit off, if the so called coin expert says "its condition was like the day it was struck", why is it "being cleaned by an expert"? And lets be real, does anyone honestly believe a coin would look like the day it was struck after being in the dirt for centuries? >>

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my younger days, I did a ton of metal detecting. Silver comes out of the ground beautiful. Copper, not so much.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

A coin in that condition is worth maybe $10,000 to $20,000, depending on what it looks like after it is conserved. >>

I was in touch with the owner and told him what this was, and I know others did too, so surely he realizes its actual value by now. >>

I assume that both of you subscribe to the e-sylum. They ran the story this week and quoted the outrageous estimate. Could one or both of you please drop Wayne a polite letter giving the true value, as you are much more qualified to do so than I.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Will do.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a brief story on this on the local LA area news last night. Guess it was a slow news night?

Interesting thing is that I don't think THEY quoted a value number....and that's the kind of "wow" information that usually drives local news stories. Either they actually do fact checking, or it was just missing from the information they were given. (I'm not banking on the quality of their fact checking....)
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was on the CBS national news last night. Just a short, 30 second bit, with a couple of one second looks at each side of the coin, but they did quote the "$1.7 million" value figure. Of course, they had no idea what type of threepence it was, just a colonial "Massachusetts three penny". They used the $1.7 million figure early in the bit, so I thought to myself, "it must be a mint-state Willow Tree"...
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that a wicked cool find, wtg.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re the $1.7M - did they think it was Willow Tree instead Oak Tree image
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Re the $1.7M - did they think it was Willow Tree instead Oak Tree image >>

Yes.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I was in touch with the owner and told him what this was, and I know others did too, so surely he realizes its actual value by now. >>

You are a Coinhound like Mr Eureka.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file