Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~*~*~ LordM's OPERATION PAPERCLIP 2012 (all done, winner of final drawing announced) ~*~*~

Comments

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, but more important Have Fun!!

Ws
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Sounds AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, Rob. I'l already out of the trading...went above and beyond what I could offer pretty darn quick, lol.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, y'all.

<< <i>Good luck, Rob. I'l already out of the trading...went above and beyond what I could offer pretty darn quick, lol >>

Say, Billy, it sounds as though you could stand to do a little paperclippin' yourself.

I love swapping. It's how I came to be standing astride such a vast numismatic empire, like a mighty colossus, haha.

Seriously, though, in twenty years of trading, I've come to hold what little I do hold. It's the poor man's refuge, and I've done OK at it over the years, and had fun into the bargain. Some of you will recall my earlier tale about parlaying eight dollars into TWO genuine 1877 Indian cents. Even twenty years ago that was some good swappin'.

This "red paperclip" thing had my name on it even before the game had a name.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone tried to trade their way up to a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle on the sports card forum and the thread stayed alive for 4 years and took up 63 pages link

Good Luck, Rob!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck LordM... I will check in on the swap thread and see if I have anything that can work... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Someone tried to trade their way up to a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle on the sports card forum and the thread stayed alive for 4 years and took up 63 pages

Good Luck, Rob! >>

Thanks, Greg. Welcome back. Where the heck have you BEEN lately? Having a LIFE, spending time with FAMILY over the holidays, or something like that? It's high time you got back on the forums and set your priorities straight! image

Wow, that is indeed an epic thread you linked to.

So it is far from an original idea, as I suspected. I've just added some of my own tweaks like the kickback incentive.

I haven't set a specific end goal, either, like a house (the red paperclip guy), or a Mickey Mantle card, or a specific coin or value. Just a time limit.

I'm just gonna freestyle it and "go with the flow, like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream", to quote John Candy as Dell Griffith in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. See where the year's trading carries me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any new updates or trades?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Still waiting on the Franklin half (coin #3) to get here. When it does, I'll post pictures. In the meantime, I do have two preliminary offers on it.

• Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    Lord,

Seriously not trying to rattle your cage...but don't you think that by offering people who trade with you a "lottery" value associated with the trade that it skews the results? I mean, for example, you could leverage your relationship with your family or good friends to quickly move up to an item wort $20 or $30 or so...but that rate of ascent isn't sustainable. Shouldn't it be on the merits of the item itself?

Again, truly not trying to start an argument. These are issues I wrestled with in my own similar experiment and ultimately decided to utilize the merits of the item itself (only) as incentive. This explains why I'm stuck right now. image

Steve
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    You'll be caught up to me (monetarily speaking) by the time I finally find a coin! image
  • Options

<< <i>Seriously not trying to rattle your cage...but don't you think that by offering people who trade with you a "lottery" value associated with the trade that it skews the results? I mean, for example, you could leverage your relationship with your family or good friends to quickly move up to an item wort $20 or $30 or so...but that rate of ascent isn't sustainable. Shouldn't it be on the merits of the item itself? >>

Steve- yes, I suppose the "lottery" aspect of it can indeed skew the results. In fact, I planned it that way, to a certain extent. I thought it might help keep the thing going. People are gonna need a small incentive to give me a small trade advantage each time. Otherwise there's the danger of a stall. (I suppose that danger remains, in any event.)

If I had to rely on my wits alone in this thing, we might never get anywhere. image

Sure, it would be more impressive if I did this based on the merit of the coins alone. (I've got real-world trades that are so based, of course).

But it also would be slower moving and less interesting to watch, probably.

Whether any rate of ascent is sustainable or not remains to be seen. Actually, as long as the general trend is upwards, who cares? It doesn't have to be a sharp climb.

This is completely experimental. I'm sure there will be snags and snafus along the way. I've got no idea what lies on the road ahead, but most of it should be fun.

• Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching. If you get stuck, PM me...maybe you'll have something I need and we can trade.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    This is an interesting idea. Ive heard the story but never seen it done. Im gonna try this on my other forum. ( not to step on your feet) but this could be a fun time and see where it gets. Ill check back to see what i can offer in trades before the price gets too high.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    I got Trade #3 (the Franklin half). I've added some pictures of that now. (They stink- it's actually a decent looking coin, despite a tiny milk spot or two, which are exaggerated by my scanner.)

I have two pending offers and will likely accept one of them, but I'm gonna think about it for a day or so.

So it's movin' on up, with the help of my swap partners.

• Options
    Trade #4 is posted, now. Thank you, "jesbroken".

• Options
    Thanks to work keeping me SUPER busy, I haven't had a chance to look for <$100 coin(s), so I haven't even started yet!

Looks like you are off to a great start LM image
  • Options
    All items up to Swap #3 have been received by the right people, I'm told. Swap #4 will be shipped to the person who has offered me Swap #5.

Swap #5 has now been added.

• Options
    Swap #6 has been posted.

• Options
    Swap #7 has been posted.

• Options
    Swap #8 has been posted.

• Options
    Swap #9 has been posted.

A Trade dollar. It's getting more interesting by the day, wouldn't you say?

I'm not up into the higher grades with the 19th century Type like Trade dollars, but I'm now getting some interesting types in lower grade, anyway. And there was that slick CC Morgan dollar, which is actually the first Carson City Morgan I've owned (albeit briefly).

I've been having a blast with this so far.

• Options
    Swap #10, a Crusty Bustie, has been posted.

2/21 update- now Swap #11. I'll skip bumping this TTT just this once, in interest with keeping a lower profile on the USCF for the time being.

• Options
    Swap #12 has come and is going... going... soon to be gone.

It has taken a dozen trades, but it looks as though we're about to cross the $100 threshold at last.

Pretty good, if you consider we started with a $1.00 coin.

Nobody's gettin' rich here yet, but it's been a blast, and I've had some swappers come back a second time.

• Options
    Swap #13 was unlucky. I don't think it was a bogus trade- not at all- I think it was quite fair. But it was perhaps a bit esoteric for our players, and then I went AWOL from the forums for like four months, so I blame me and not the person who put up #13.

Anyway, guitarwes is going to prime the pump and take on Swap #13 and in return let me choose an appropriate amount from his inventory downtown, which happens to be in MY display cases (I let him take over my old antique mall business.)

Not even I know what Swap #14 will be, but we should know by the end of the day (today, Tuesday 7/17).

Will we get unstuck? Or will this whole project die on the vine?

Hey, our declared trade value has increased more than a hundredfold since the beginning, so even though there was that four- or five-month stall, it's still good. I'll just have to stay busy to show a brag-worthy return at the end of the year (which will of course then be split with one of the trade partners after we do a drawing).

• Options
    Swap # 14 is another Bust half.

• Options
    We finally crossed over into gold territory!

Gold AND silver for this one.

• Options
    We're winding down for the year, now.

I must say, despite several multi-month gaps, this little swap game has been a lot of fun and has done pretty well, considering I started the year with a $1.00 item. Now, with the year winding down, this could end up being the finale, or we might squeeze in one or two more swaps, who knows. (I will make an attempt to be around a little more in December than I have been these last few months.

The latest swap was two rolls of circ war nickels. Four and a half ounces of silver, in other words.

By the terms of the Paperclip game, when the year runs out, I will cash in the proceeds and split them with one of this year's swap partners (selected by a random drawing).

Note that I just used a stock image for the picture. The rolls remain unopened and unsearched by me.

• Options
    Great work LMC.

Grad school and international traveling for a couple months this year
    made it difficult to focus on this project.
  • Options
    We ended with the war nickels, so it was easy enough to split the proceeds at the end. TorinoCobra71 won the drawing, so he will get one of those rolls and I keep the other.

So he and I each netted sixty-something dollars worth of silver bullion for my initial one-dollar investment. Not exactly the way to get rich, and it took a lot of work, but hey, this was a blast. And how many investments net sixty times their initial outlay, right?

I will start Operation Paperclip 2013 soon, along similar lines. Start from basically nothing, and see where it ends up after a year.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, TC!

It was fun... will be keeping an eye on the 2013 thread too image

• Options

<< <i>Congrats, TC!

It was fun... will be keeping an eye on the 2013 thread too image >>

Indeed it was, and many thanks to you, illini420, and to all the others who participated.

The 2013 version is now up, right here.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that was a fun time...I believe I still have a coin or two from the swaps lurking around. Ready to go again !
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the winner, and fun concept Lord M.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome result Rob !!! I will join in for 2013 at some point.
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file