Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Numismatic Gladiator" III (Andres vs. dadams)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
WELCOME TO NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR III!

To see how the games began, refer to the earlier competitions.

imageNumismatic Gladiator I (Aethelred vs. lordmarcovan: Roman Imperial coins under $20.00- Aethelred won)

imageNumismatic Gladiator II (Stork vs. Swampboy: Pre-1800 dated world coins under $20.00- Swampboy won)

imageNumismatic Gladiator III (Andres vs. dadams: Pre-1964 United States coins under $25.00) *** THIS COMPETITION ***

1. Both contestants agreed to purchase a single coin from the assigned category.

2. The coin had to cost no more than $25.00 US.

3. In order to avoid either contestant having an advantage, contestants agreed to buy their coins from the same venue at a fixed price.

4. Shipping was not included in the $25.00 limit.

5. You can now vote on which coin you like best without knowing which coin belongs to whom. That will be revealed at the end.

6. The person whose coin receives the most votes gets bragging rights and a sigline trophy.

(And the cool coin they purchased, obviously.)

This cointest will run until midnight Eastern on Monday, June 13, 2016.

Vote for whichever coin appeals to you most.

This need not be the one that is more monetarily valuable. Catalog and/or retail value should be weighed into the decision, of course, but this cointest is about overall desirability - eye appeal, history, design, etc. It is much more about collecting fun than "investment" value.

The coins are presented here in chronological order, in similar sized images (though note that the actual coins themselves may differ widely in physical size).

Which do you like better?

COIN A: 1851 N-7 Braided Hair large cent, @ $25.00 from eBay.

Numismedia FMV trends

COIN B: 1937 Buffalo nickel, @ $12.42 from eBay.

Numismedia FMV trends

Hats off to our cointestants! May the "best" coin win! imageimage

FINAL RESULTS- a victory for dadams

Which coin do you like better, for the money? (Total Votes: 75)

A- the 1851 large cent, @ $25.00

38 votes 50.67 (%)

B- the 1937 Buffalo nickel, @ $12.42

26 votes 34.67 (%)

C- I can't decide- they're both great for the money

0 votes 0.00 (%)

D- Neither- they both suck

9 votes 12.00 (%)

E- I'm totally neutral

2 votes 2.67 (%)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    We had a much wider discrepancy in price paid for the two coins this time around.

In fact, one of our gladiators actually spent less than half his allotted budget!

This should make the poll interesting to watch.

Anyway, the price our contestants paid may not enter into some people's voting considerations at all, while for others it will be the primary consideration.

We'll likely have fans of early copper and Buffalo nickel enthusiasts both.

(Hey, what's not to like about either? Both are appealing in different ways.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Great choices from both!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They both have done well....this will be a fun contest. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to the gladiators! Went with the cent, personally.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote for the buff just knotted it up at 8-all image

Cool contest and both are nice coins!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buff, for the price and the meat on it, is a good value.

However, I'm not really a buff nickel fan.

Looking at the large cent, I see some things that I don't like, but I also see a very old coin, that has no peer today (sure, there are cents but none that size), is super old, and was around when it was actually worth something. Most of what I see in the large cent category, for the $25, would have more scratches or other things to degrade the view of the coin...this one looks pretty nice for the price.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

The buff, for the price and the meat on it, is a good value.

However, I'm not really a buff nickel fan.

Looking at the large cent, I see some things that I don't like, but I also see a very old coin, that has no peer today (sure, there are cents but none that size), is super old, and was around when it was actually worth something. Most of what I see in the large cent category, for the $25, would have more scratches or other things to degrade the view of the coin...this one looks pretty nice for the price.

I pretty much agree with everything Bochiman said here, except that I have no particular aversion to Buffalo nickels.

I do tend to gravitate more towards 19th century type coins (and half hoped and/or expected to see somebody buy a piece of Seated silver), but I think both of these were OK picks for the money.

PS- for the record, I'm not in the tiny "neutral" camp this time around. I did make a choice this time, and voted for the large cent, though again, both coins have their merits for the prices paid.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow

Tough choice

Gotta get back to you on this one
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the cent, and give it a little bonus for the 2x2 that it came in.

FWIW, I looked at large cents too, but decided on This coin if I was participating. Maybe a decent three cent nickel could be had for that amount too.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted for the Large Cent.
  • Options
    DNADave- that 1861 quarter is kinda-sorta the type of thing I half expected to see in play here. I like it, except for the spot at 9:00 on the reverse. Sure, it's low grade, but for less than 25 bucks for a quarter from the first year of the Civil War, well... yeah. Bang for the buck. Which is what these contests are all about, in my opinion.

One could probably get an even "meatier" dime or half dime for the money, too. And you're right about 3cNs.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Buff, b/c it is part of the U.S. coinage 'Renaissance Era' and it is in better condition. Just my 2 cents.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    The Buffalo is nice, but I prefer the large cent.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo 5c

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both appear to be excellent values and great low budget examples.

In the end I chose the cent.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the large cent, and I'm sure Greg would, too.
    (He likes copper) image
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    So I cast my vote -- E- I'm totally neutral image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Buff...nice coin for the money.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to both, nice coins for the price no question. But I could vote for only one.............

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    DNADave- that 1861 quarter is kinda-sorta the type of thing I half expected to see in play here. I like it, except for the spot at 9:00 on the reverse. Sure, it's low grade, but for less than 25 bucks for a quarter from the first year of the Civil War, well... yeah. Bang for the buck. Which is what these contests are all about, in my opinion.

One could probably get an even "meatier" dime or half dime for the money, too. And you're right about 3cNs.

...1851 right???
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

...1851 right???

...cent right???
    Paul
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pmac
    Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

...1851 right???

...cent right???

...large right???
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    TTT
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Walkerfan

I like the Buff, b/c it is part of the U.S. coinage 'Renaissance Era' and it is in better condition. Just my 2 cents.

The buyer of that coin expressed similar sentiments when he told me his rationale. He found it to be the quintessentially American design (though he is not necessarily an American himself), and he liked its association with Teddy Roosevelt.

• Options
    Oh, BTW, after we wrap this up on Monday, we'll go straight into "Numismatic Gladiator IV", which will be a cheap ($20 limit) Exonumia contest.

Me versus savoyspecial. Our items have already been purchased, so stay tuned for that. (Both pieces ended up being World exonumia, so that round will likely be posted on the Darkside.)

"Numismatic Gladiator V" will almost certainly be Greyside (Canadian coins), and ajaan will be one of the gladiators. We don't know who he'll be facing off against yet. Might let him challenge his own opponent.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bumpity bump bump.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I could be challenger
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    And now...

The winner is...

Coin A- the the 1851 large cent!

And that coin was purchased by...

dadams!

Congratulations, dadams! Well chosen! Here is your trophy! image

Andres, who lives in the Netherlands, had the added challenge of crazy-high shipping costs added by the eBay Global Shipping Program, which limited his shopping somewhat. I think he still did pretty well, so hats off to him as well!

Now it's time for Numimsmatic Gladiator IV, which I'll be posting shortly. That is an exonumia challenge between savoyspecial and I. The category was World Exonumia, so that will be posted on the Darkside forum.

• Options

imageNumismatic Gladiator IV (lordmarcovan vs. savoyspecial: World exonumia under $20.00)

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Congrats dadams,

@Rob , This 1916 Buffalo was my first choice , great colours , goldtone on the obverse , pinkish on the reverse , and exactly 100 years old for $24 ,
    the Global *****ting Program from eBay added $ 27 for shipping, this system seems to be convenient for sellers , good for them, but I refuse to buy anything with this GSP system.

The 1937 Buffalo I bought had Free shipping + an unknown bonus coin (perhaps a Large Cent image )

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Doug!
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Well, it is a surprise as I certainly didn't think I would come out on top. Kudos to Andres as I think his selection was a great choice and also thanks to Aethelred and lordmarcovan for sponsoring the contest. I'll have more commentary this weekend after I return from vacation.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the nickel was a great buy. The large cent was a good buy. For the type collector in me it is the cent of course. But thinking about it I did change my mind to the nickel
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file