Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"The Quarrelsome Dr. Prince"

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
"The Quarrelsome Dr. Prince"

"Dr. Will J. Prince" engraving on 1883 Liberty nickel

Larger obverse picture

Larger reverse picture

Obverse: original Liberty head design, unaltered. Reverse: "Dr. Will J. Prince" in script lettering arranged in circular array. Ex- "acsb-rich", eBay, 11/25/2015.

While the lettering on this piece was done well enough, the engraving lacks any pictorial elements or particular pizzazz otherwise. Though a Liberty nickel host coin is slightly less common, they're not terribly difficult to find. Coupled with the rather stiff pricetag this had when I saw it, those factors would have normally made me move on and not buy this.

However, it had a mostly full name on it, so I thought I would see if I could track down this Dr. Will J. Prince. And I did! So I made a counteroffer, negotiated a bit with the seller , and ended up happily buying it.

My initial web searching brought up the obituary of a Dr. William J. Prince from Oklahoma (1930-2012), and others, but they were all too modern to have been the onetime owner of this coin.

Searching "Dr. Will J. Prince", however (with the abbreviated first name), I found a Dr. Will(iam) J. Prince of Piqua, Ohio (1861-1919), who was the son of another doctor by the same name. He seems to fit the time period of this love token. Is he really our man? We'll never know for sure, but I'd say there's a pretty good chance he is.

The most interesting thing about Dr. William J. Prince (II) were some of the old newspaper articles I found. He was obviously a prominent man in his community and perhaps known on the state and national level as well.

But by far the most colorful article I found was a 1904 newspaper account of a physical altercation he engaged in at City Hall with a councilman, while he was serving as president of the Board of Public Safety. (Public? Yes. Safety? Maybe not so much!) But he does seem to have come out on top in the fisticuffs!

Source link

Here is another article, this time from 1913.

It seems our good doctor had his share of friction, but perhaps that was inevitable in politics. The article linked to above is also from the Piqua, Ohio Daily Call, but the Cincinnati papers ran some articles at the time, too.

Then again, I'm not so sure the 1913 article isn't about his son, William J. Prince III. I think he (III) was a doctor as well, and the subject of this article was a nominee for Postmaster. I think I saw somewhere in W.J.P. III's obituary that he had served as a postmaster. So the 1913 article could be about the son (III) rather than the father (II). I think the father is the man who owned the love token coin above, though.

Here is Dr. Prince (II)'s 1909 biographical entry, transcribed on an Ohio historical society website.

Here is his memorial on findagrave.com, which has more family information.

Lastly, his grave marker, courtesy of researcher Jenny Brown on findagrave.com.

Engraved/Counterstamped/Oddball Type Set

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Piqua. Just south of Sidney, O., where I worked for Coin World. Used to own a soda pop bottle from the Piquality Bottling Works!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. I love how you are finding these with the history!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really great..being able to attach a history to the token is cool. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks.

This is the third US piece I've tracked down the original owner for.

I have a British piece I'll be posting on the Darkside later this morning. It's one of those Word War I identification badges, but done on a British halfcrown instead of the usual French franc. It's also early-aviation related, which is cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed reading this! Thanks, Lord M.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, the Gehle Speelman affair! Of Course, why didnt I think of that! :-)
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Piqua, Ohio "Gehle-Speelman affair" occurred in 1904.

Apparently Speelman ran an illegal saloon on Sundays and may have paid police chief Gehle a bribe to stay open.

Newspapers described the place then as a "speak easy", a term more associated with Prohibition.

Dr. Prince was one of the customers and was called as a witness during the investigation.

Another vignette from small-town America.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2

The Piqua, Ohio "Gehle-Speelman affair" occurred in 1904.

Apparently Speelman ran an illegal saloon on Sundays and may have paid police chief Gehle a bribe to stay open.

Newspapers described the place then as a "speak easy", a term more *****ociated with Prohibition.

Dr. Prince was one of the customers and was called as a witness during the investigation.

Another vignette from small-town America.

Thanks for the synopsis, WB2. I didn't dig that deep.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term "speakeasy" was around long before Prohibition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakeasy
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file