Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are "clubhouse" autographed balls? SEE SCANS NOW

Are they balls signed in the clubhouse by trainers, etc., who have learned the players' signatures?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    exactly - or clubhouse attendants
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I've got 8 or so clubhouse balls from the Cubs from the late 1980s with players such as Dawson, Sandberg, Sutcliffe, Zimmer, Grace, and Maddox, as well as a Giants clubhouse ball with many signatures, including Mays and Bonds Sr. Do balls like this have any value at all?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Generally not every signature is 'clubhouse'.

Some on your balls could be legit.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭
    do you mean clubhouse balls as in "team signed" balls? where are you getting the "clubhouse" phrase from?

pictures?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Some on your balls could be legit.Steve >>

Steve ... I think you could have phrased this a little differently! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Batboys were also signers in some occasions but as others have stated, it's usually a select star or two that were signed by someone else and not all of them.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    We definitely need scans. In the late 80's there were a lot of pre-printed team balls that were sold. Are all of your signatures don in black ball point? Are all of the signatures the same size?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    generally, a clubhouse autographed ball is a team-signed ball with between 20-30 signatures, whereby ~20-25 of the signatures are real, authentic signatures and the balance were signed "in the clubhouse" by other persons. e.g. imagine a little kid with cancer wants a team-signed ball, but Babe Ruth is sitting on the can -- so someone in the clubhouse signs an autograph as if he were Babe Ruth (similar style -- but not same signature).

Typically, the clubhouse signatures are big name stars like Munson, Ruth, Gehrig, Connie Mack, etc. There are not too many team-signed Phillies balls out there with Rick Schu clubhouse signatures.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    My cousin used to sign a ton of Jerrry Remy's autos in the early 80s
  • Options

<< <i>generally, a clubhouse autographed ball is a team-signed ball with between 20-30 signatures, whereby ~20-25 of the signatures are real, authentic signatures and the balance were signed "in the clubhouse" by other persons. e.g. imagine a little kid with cancer wants a team-signed ball, but Babe Ruth is sitting on the can -- so someone in the clubhouse signs an autograph as if he were Babe Ruth (similar style -- but not same signature).

Typically, the clubhouse signatures are big name stars like Munson, Ruth, Gehrig, Connie Mack, etc. There are not too many team-signed Phillies balls out there with Rick Schu clubhouse signatures.

M >>

This is a great answer and it's why you need to be careful in buying team signed balls, esp from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I've seen a lot of Brooklyn Dodger team signed balls where Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, etc were clubhouse signatures. Both PSA/DNA and JSA list the clubhouse signatures (if any) on the LOA's for balls they authenticate.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    One more reason I think paying big money for autographs is a joke. I just do not get the thrill of autographs in particular where so often they are, or may be, FAKE.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Here are pictures of one of the balls that the "experts" say is a clubhouse ball. It is a late 1960s Giants team ball.

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I think the Mays, unfortunately is a clubhouse sig...the rest look good though.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭
    Bonds appears to be a clubhouse sig as well
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.