Home Sports Talk
Options

Johnny Football

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's becoming fairly obvious that this guy is a product of media hype and little else. Now, he's bringing other guys down around him with more off the field nonsense. Any Cowboy fans still wish they drafted this clown? He may be out of football quicker than Tebow, but at least Tebow worked hard and won an NFL playoff game.

Link

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although Manziel hasn't had a fair shot yet it looks like he will end up being another huge mistake for the pathetic Cleveland Browns franchise, their best playmaker Josh Gordon tenure with them will be coming to a close too so back to the drawing board again for these clowns image
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland is crazy if they don't pick a QB with their first round pick next year. Throw Manziel on the scrap heap of great college players that aren't NFL material.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although Manziel hasn't had a fair shot yet >>

Yep.

Although, even with that shot, I don't expect much out of him.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Throw Manziel on the scrap heap of great college players that aren't NFL material. <<<

I concur totally.

I will be the first to admit it......I bought into the hype about how good he was. I didn't realize how small he was until I saw him on the field with "MEN"!

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad we didn't take him.

I apologize to Jerry here and now for my rant when he didn't take Manziel.

Manziel makes Tebow look like a HOF QB!!!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but at least Tebow worked hard and won an NFL playoff game. >>

....and was a stand up guy.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manziel's issues were there for everyone to see.

Might be just a bit early to make a decision on his career just yet.

I NEVER wanted the Vikings to pick him, much happier with Bridgewater. I'll take boring over crazy any day.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will self-implode, fade away and get a token job at his family's petroleum biz. At just under 6' and 190 lbs, it's just a matter of time before injuries remove him from the NFL. His scrambling ability and incredible hubris will not overcome his stupidity.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    He really makes it hard to defend him or continue to root for him.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    ...has apparently learned absolutely nothing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually looking forward to watching him on Monday Night Football.

COME ON MAN!!!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JF has his problems, to be sure, but he has improved in over the course of one season to a very noticeable degree. One thing that sticks in my mind is that I believe he was poorly advised when the decision was made to come out early. That may work in other sports and even at other positions in Football, but not at QB. Last year the game was just too fast for him, this year he better understands things. On top of that, the biggest problem with his play has been the Browns GM who openly admits that skill players such as receivers aren't that important, and a rookie Head Coach. In a nutshell, with an extra two years of College playing time and drafted by a Team which surrounded him with the talent to succeed Manziel would be a different player. His size is knocked all the time but he isn't much different in that respect than Drew Brees.

To his most recent problem, I know I'll be hammered for saying this, but it is sort of despicable when an industry has built up with media outlets such as TMZ which profit on this sort of BS. To think that someone knew they could turn a quick buck because they had some cell phone video of JF is sickening to me. If it had been Browns security that was watching him and did the filming, well, that's different. But some schmuck who was at the bar knew it was Johnny, filmed him and got the idea that he could sell the video. Sorry, but that pretty low class. I know some will say that celebrity has its price but the world is pretty screwed up in that regard.

JMHO, so swing away if you feel so inclined.
  • Options
    He's got the talent but is undersized and his style of play will lead him to get injured (see the bigger, and more talented, imo, RGIII). More importantly, he doesn't possess the requisite intellect between the ears to be successful in this league. He's a total bust to this point until he proves otherwise. I don't buy the excuses, either, about his poor behavior~you are an NFL QB and you have already stated multiple times that you have made poor decisions and vowed to be better and yet you still keep winding up on the police blotter or on TMZ. A guy his age should know full well that EVERYONE is carrying a video recorder these days. To me, that just illustrates that you either just don't care or you are a moron. And rumors are the Browns may be ready to cut bait on him this off season, too.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15

He's got the talent but is undersized and his style of play will lead him to get injured (see the bigger, and more talented, imo, RGIII).

Agree wholeheartedly. Back at A&M he could improvise for half a minute because he was like a jackrabbit against collegiate competition. Unfortunately for him, that rarely translates to the National Football League nowadays. Linebackers weigh 40-50 lbs more and are just as fast as he is, so if he doesn't learn how to spin the pigskin on a consistent basis the way a Drew Breeze does (sorry, couldn't resist), he's going to get murdered. As Tim stated, he's an undersized, slower, less athletic version of Robert Griffin III, and we all know how he turned out.

As for him acting like an assclown off the field, the dude has a real sickness. It's clear that he simply doesn't care, because the guy continues to run TO trouble instead of away from it. Seriously, go watch the cell phone vid and see if that's the look of a man who has learned his lesson and is trying to rectify the situation. The guy grew up in an affluent family and has been prancing around with a silver spoon in his mouth his entire life. You could probably count on one hand the number of times he has been told 'no' since he's been alive, but my gut says the Cleveland Browns are going to increase that number by one.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't argue about his size, but he isn't really that much smaller than Drew Brees. As for his intelligence and skill I believe you underestimate him. He has improved to very, very noticeable degree this year from last. With a better supporting cast he will be OK. Remember, it is a Team sport and none of these elite QB's can carry the load without help.
  • Options
    keets, I wouldn't expect any other assessment from an Ohioan. Time will tell, but he's been little more than an embarrassment thus far.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manziel needs to be given the keys right on game 1 and told that the QB position is his and thats that, the Browns have no idea who their starter is going to be let alone Manziel. Sure he needs to be prepared regardless but spot starting him is not the answer, they drafted him so they should put him in play full time and let him get the experience he needs to develop.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Manziel has talent, but his mouth and off-field antics keep him in the dog house. He got benched for lying about partying in Texas...lying is not a good trait to have.

At best I think he's a marginal QB, is often times childish and is wasting an opportunity that most can only dream of...I suspect he'll flame out soon. He's just too stupid to see the hand writing on the wall and realize he's not focused on the task at hand.

I see no upside to Manziel and his future in the NFL. But, miracles do happen and he'll need a BIG one to smarten up.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one don't consider Manziel an "elite" QB by any stretch of the imagination. He hasn't been in the league long enough nor played enough games to even come close to earning that distinction. As Topps stated so well, "marginal at best" describes him fairly accurately at this stage of his career. jmho

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Manziel ruled out again with yet another concussion. Has he played his last game in a Browns uniform?

In any event, at the rate the concussions are piling up, his future looks a bit foreboding at this point.

• Options
    He will look great in a Cowboys uniform next season!