Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CWT - struck on larger planchets using uncollared dies

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
A number of Civil War Tokens are struck on larger than normal planchets. Is this common due to the use of uncollared dies? And for uncollared dies, how did they get the edges to be perfect? Were the planchets the perfect size and just positioned perfectly beforehand?

Examples:

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not familiar with the pieces in question. Just a WAG...could it be that the coiner did not have a collar of the right size for the dies being used and he used one with a larger diameter, which the planchet then expanded out into during the strike?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the dies could be like this one. From looking at the die, I'm not sure how a collar could be used so I'm interested in learning how tokens were struck from dies like these.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with this type of die face. Obviously it could not have been used with a collar.

However, other tokens were presumably struck from a more typical tapered die, and in that case my suggestion of an oversized collar might have left the effect you ask about.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are many times considered broadstruck... However as you stated it's a oversize planchet and not expansion.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file