Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps MLB Wacky Packages

A couple of the guys on the Wacky Packages forum believe this new Topps release combining baseball teams with the Wacky Packs concept will be a hit with baseball collectors. Just curious whether collectors here a.) find them appealing and b.) plan to purchase them.

Note that the cards do feature MLB team logos.

Topps MLB Wacky Packs

Comments

• Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    A) no

B) no - if the autographs were on card and not stickers, maybe
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    hey paulmaul, you know that i really enjoy your thread and posts....but as a bball collector i doubt if i buy any of these stickers just because they're related to mlb...id prob buy some wacky pack stickers that u post ....which are cool and remind me of childhood....
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool seebelow! I'm just interested in seeing people's responses so that those on the wacky forum can better understand the likely market for these.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't buy. The old wacky packs are interesting to me though.

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@magellan said:

+1

• Options

I personally had no interest in them. I posed the question to try to convince my fellow wacky collectors that sports card fans wouldn't care about these. Sure enough, they didn't.

• Options
    BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2017 3:53PM

@magellan said:

Man I just saw your avatar and my eyes lit up .
    True story :smile: in 1969 I was 8-10 years old and my Dad owned a hardware store in Philadelphia. Being a retailer he encouraged me from a young age to buy and sell . So he used to get me boxes of candy and baseball cards from his distributor and I would sell the packs to kids in the neighborhood and school and pay him for the next box .
    For whatever reason I must have been on fire in 1969 and two of my favorite players were Yaz and Clemente .
    I. Ever really liked chewing gum believe it or not, so I easily could trade my gum for Yaz and Clemente cards . Mays and Aaron were a different story .

I'm one of the few from that era that actually still had their childhood cards from that era of flipping and bike spokes .
    I came back from college one year and sorted them all into years and guess what I had ???
    1969 Carl Yaz - 21 cards
    1969 Roberto Clemente 14 cards

Shame I wasn't trading for Reggie J , but when your 9-10 you trade for your heroes :)

Anyways thanks fir the memories !! ;):)

CHEERS !!!

PS... my entire bedroom door as a kid was covered with the original Wacky Package stickers .
    Every time I see a box related to them at Target I want to buy them and my wife and kids just shake their heads at me in disgust .
    Some people just don't get it ;)

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

i buy these folders for my kids and i put wacky packages stickers on front and back....9 in front and 9 in back....i also use clear packing tape to reinforce the spine of the folder so it doesnt tear mid-school year.

so far my kids like it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IESK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

@magellan said:

Man I just saw your avatar and my eyes lit up .
    True story :smile: in 1969 I was 8-10 years old and my Dad owned a hardware store in Philadelphia. Being a retailer he encouraged me from a young age to buy and sell . So he used to get me boxes of candy and baseball cards from his distributor and I would sell the packs to kids in the neighborhood and school and pay him for the next box .
    For whatever reason I must have been on fire in 1969 and two of my favorite players were Yaz and Clemente .
    I. Ever really liked chewing gum believe it or not, so I easily could trade my gum for Yaz and Clemente cards . Mays and Aaron were a different story .

I'm one of the few from that era that actually still had their childhood cards from that era of flipping and bike spokes .
    I came back from college one year and sorted them all into years and guess what I had ???
    1969 Carl Yaz - 21 cards
    1969 Roberto Clemente 14 cards

Shame I wasn't trading for Reggie J , but when your 9-10 you trade for your heroes :)

Anyways thanks fir the memories !! ;):)

CHEERS !!!

PS... my entire bedroom door as a kid was covered with the original Wacky Package stickers .
    Every time I see a box related to them at Target I want to buy them and my wife and kids just shake their heads at me in disgust .
    Some people just don't get it ;)

Yaz was always my favorite player, had a poster of him on my wall. 1969 was the last year I collected as a teen & I did keep some cards of favorite players. The 69 yaz was one . The avatar pic is of a PSA 7 which I had but have now upgraded to an 8.

Good memories !

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    David, is this wacky pack as rare as the price would indicate?

Tim,

It is the most desirable WP unopened pack, and she recently has sold other similar packs in the $2000-3500 range. However, there is no merit to the claims about the importance of the Pure Hex showing, any PSA 9 of this pack would bring a similar price.

• Options

Also, I don't think its necessarily the rarest pack, just the most desirable.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:
    David, is this wacky pack as rare as the price would indicate?

Tim,

It is the most desirable WP unopened pack, and she recently has sold other similar packs in the $2000-3500 range. However, there is no merit to the claims about the importance of the Pure Hex showing, any PSA 9 of this pack would bring a similar price.

Thanks, David. I knew if anyone could estimate value on a pack like this, it would be you, lol..

All we need is a 10% ebay bucks promo and you can add it to your collection!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Sounds good! I've already got this one, but a PSA 9 would be nice!