Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone remember "Hart to Hart" baseball card episode?

Anyone remember that episode from that corny show "Hart to Hart"?
I'm thinking mid 80s. This was where a little boy inherited a briefcase of baseball cards from his dad or grandfather (my gawd the cards were sweet!). Anyways, the briefcase was then stolen by these 2 crooks and they sold it to a vendor at a show and purchased by some millionaire old man who collects cards. Jonathan Hart was a friend of the boy's family, and offered to buy it back from this old man but he said he never sells his cards....he only flips for them. To make a long story short ( a bit too late ), J. Hart had to go out and purchase all these old vintage cards (Koufax, Mantles, you name it) and had to go to a flipping contest with this old man. It was awesome! I would somehow like to get a copy of this episode if anyone knows how or remembers that episode.

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    I do remember it, but the thrill of the story got lost in the lameness of the show. That Robert Wagner look just bugged me as a kid.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I never watched Hart To Hart, but while on a business trip in Venezuela 3 or 4 years ago, there was only one English speaking TV channel in that hotel and that episode came on. It was wild because it looked like they were using real star cards from the 50's like Musial and Clemente. They flipped cards by holding them against the wall about 5 ft, high, and letting them drop. I'd love to see that episode again. It may be on Direct TV. I'll check into it.
  • Options
    I didn't see that episode, but what about the episode of "Macgyver" they had the same storyline but there wasn't any flipping involved, they had a bunch of very old cracker jack cards I believe it was. Macgyver still airs on Nick at night everyday if you have cable and they are always doing reruns. If anyone wants to know.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    And don't forget the mid-80's episode of "Silver Spoons" where Ricky supposedly had some old, valuable cards. They didn't do any closeups of the cards, but a sharp-eyed glance reveals 1984 Topps, however.

And Al Bundy once coveted his 50's era Joe Nuxhall card. I don't recall getting a good enough glimpse to see what the card really was, though.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    They flipped cards by holding them against the wall about 5 ft, high, and letting them drop.

Yea, that was wild. Hart thought he had it aced cos he was flipping them in practice prior to the flip off, but when he got to the guy's hotel, the old man said he only flips them off the wall. Of course Hart lost every flip until he was down to like his last 10 cards and he finally got the hang it. It was corny and Hart got all of the boy's cards back. I think I remember them saying that the case was sold for $80,000 at the time in the mid 80s. Probably 20 folds now...but I'm just dreaming and considering if they were all real. My little fantasy.

My Auctions
  • Options
    I remember the Married With Children episode where Al and Steve get Bud into collecting and have a bunch of Ernie Banks 60's cards, etc. I think he sold them really cheap, forgot the storyline.
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I believe the episode in question may have aired in 1983. Mr. Hart remarks to the young owner, that the cards are 25 years old and thus are actually collectables or antiques. Most of the cards flipped were 1958 Topps.

In the hit movie Rainman, Dustin Hoffman admires his small collection of 1953 Topps with much zeal.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Remember "Mask" where Rocky had all those '55 Dodger cards tacked to his wall? Ouch!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the movie (I can't recall the name) with Brendan Frasier and Alicia Silverstone, where Frasier's character went into this card store with a bunch of old Goudeys and whatever else and tried to sell them to Silverstone to get cash.

The movie also starred Sissy Spacek and Christopher Walken? Basically, Frasier grew up in a bomb shelter for the first 20-odd years of his life, because his dad (Walken) thought the BOMB had hit their house, when it was actually an airplane.

Oh, and there was an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where some alien collector had the supposedly only "mint" copy of a 1962 Topps Roger Maris. The name of the episode was "The Most Toys".

Steve
  • Options
    it was BLAST FROM THE PAST with brendan fraser. pretty funny (in a corny) sort of way. his dad (walken) gives him a shoebox (?) or cigar box of cards to go 'up' with in case he runs out of cash. i remember seeing a 52 mantle and a shoeless joe jackson of somesort. how bout the GOONIES when they find the lou gehrig card in chester copperpots wallet.
  • Options

<< <i>it was BLAST FROM THE PAST with brendan fraser. pretty funny (in a corny) sort of way. his dad (walken) gives him a shoebox (?) or cigar box of cards to go 'up' with in case he runs out of cash. i remember seeing a 52 mantle and a shoeless joe jackson of somesort. how bout the GOONIES when they find the lou gehrig card in chester copperpots wallet. >>

The 1976 Topps Lou Gehrig?

From the first time I saw that movie, back when I was a kid, that scene p!ssed me off. How hard is it to get a Goudey and photocopy it? I still love the movie, all these years later - but that scene gives me the twitches. And when they released it on DVD, did they CGI out the '76 Topps and insert a Goudey? NO.

*grumble*

Morrie, who's going to have to start digging up these other baseball card shows and movies...
  • Options
    i never really payed attention to the back. i remember the front and him talking about lou gehrig. i'll have to pay more attention to the card next time, i always thought it was a GOUDEY.
  • Options
    What about the movie (I can't recall the name) with Brendan Frasier and Alicia Silverstone......

Mmmmm - Alicia Silverstone - uuuhhh, what was this thread about?
  • Options
    This thread has inspired me to re-read the Lawrence Block novel, "The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams." For anyone who is interested, it is a quick, easy read and it is very entertaining with a well scripted mystery featuring a missing collection of baseball cards.
  • Options
    what exactly is FLIPPING and how do you Play or Win it?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm - Alicia Silverstone - uuuhhh, what was this thread about?

My thoughts exactly (why do you think I watched the movie in the first place?)image

I did like her better in Batman though...must be that black spandex she was wearingimage

Steve

PS...Thanks Cadillac for the titleimage
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I saw the McGyver episode not long ago. It has Reggie Jackso in it. Super cheesy episode, envolves a counterfeiting print company. They must have had a baseball guy on the props team because they did pretty good. The episode has the theft of the Reggie 3 HR balls and jersey. Funny because in the movie BASEketball Coop catche the third Reggie ball.

On a side note anyone ever read the book "The Trading Game"? I read it in like 5th grade and it was pretty good. Envolves a buy with a great collection he got from his dad and grandad thats goal is to get the rare vintage card of his grandfather when he played pro. One of his friends finds the card of his grandpa somewhere and makes the boy give his 52T Mantle (I think that what it was).
  • Options
    I have the MacGyver episode on tape (I taped it as a kid, thinking to myself, "this is so cool").

The plot was about McGyver meeting the daughter of a former baseball player. The player had ties to some crooked sports card counterfeiter.

They showed all kinds of cards. Mantle, Mays, '33 Goudey Gehrigs being cut up in a warehouse. Mac did some undercover work, using a whole shoe box of cards as bait. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of cards.

I think the episode aired at the height of the baseball card bonanza in the late 80's/early 90's.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone recall a 1967 cello pack being auctioned on eBay from a seller who deals in movie props? It was to be used in the movie "Bruester's Millions" but they instead used the upside down stamp in the movie. It had the movie studio stamped on the pack. The pack wasn't original but I think it had a Seaver rookie on the front and ended up selling for several hundred dollars.