Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show me your PCGS version 1 rattlers...

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have a version 1 rattler with the non-green labels and the dark type? I am not talking the usual version 2 rattlers with green insert and faded type. Show us!
Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image removed due to incompatibility of the OP request for Version 1 holders...not 2. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    That's what I'm looking for. Anyone else?
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭
    There's a member here who has a toned Mercury Dime proof in what is the only true "Version 1 Rattler" I've ever seen.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭
    These are true version 1 rattlers. Arguably the Morgan is a version "1.1". The San Diego rattler is neither the 1 nor the 1.1.

imageimage
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind, I only have one like the San Diego posted. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    My bad. Stealer is correct. The San Diego is a version 2. The version 1 has no color or lines to the insert and the type is more defined. In stealer's photos the angle of the "/" differentiates between version 1.0 and 1.1.
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I've got 4 now, I'll put this as a placeholder until I can load photos. I have a walker, a morgan, a proof merc and a commem. Actively searching, though the premiums on these are getting quite crazy, even in auctions where there is no mention besides a regular holder. Ive know of maybe a dozen or so more in addition to mine and Stealers. These are rarer than regencies from what I've seen, and may even give ngc blacks a run for their money.
  • Options
    Regarding 1 and 1.1, I think that it just comes down to having two dot printers going at the same time, I'm not convinced that they were intentional differences. You will find that all 1080XXX share the same type print and 1081xxx and 1082xxx share the same. I am not aware of any white labels with 1083xxx or higher. In addition to the difference in type, label (white and no creases), these all have a clearer plastic than the later rattlers, most notable when you compare side by side.
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding 1 and 1.1, I think that it just comes down to having two dot printers going at the same time, I'm not convinced that they were intentional differences. You will find that all 1080XXX share the same type print and 1081xxx and 1082xxx share the same. I am not aware of any white labels with 1083xxx or higher. In addition to the difference in type, label (white and no creases), these all have a clearer plastic than the later rattlers, most notable when you compare side by side. >>

They also crack more easily. Upgrading mine was a breeze.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They also crack more easily. Upgrading mine was a breeze.

NNNNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TextThey also crack more easily. Upgrading mine was a breeze. >>

OMG!!!!!!!!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They also crack more easily. Upgrading mine was a breeze. >>

Oh the Humanity!
    Vplite99
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Oh the Humanity! >>

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :-(
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh the Humanity! >>

image >>

imageimageimageimageimage

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh the Humanity! >>

image >>

imageimageimageimageimage >>

What can I say, the plastic and paper gods were calling them home...they're in a better place now.
  • Options
    Snapped a photo of the four whities today. The walked was kicked back by CAC for PVC.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing my best to rid the planet of these horrible holders. Probably have done close to a 100 or so.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    finally got one.

bought from stealer.

paid too much.

but hadn't been able to find one in the wild

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I take it the version 2 was the perforated edge and the shamrock shake green?

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack....Crack.....Crack!!!! Just got rid of another one last week.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Dimeman, you seem to be instigating...image

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Who else thinks that the 1884-O is closer to MS-64 than MS-62?
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    What do the white rattlers go for these days?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which version would this be image

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    I think this is V1.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Swampboy
    Which version would this be image

Not the white label
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Mesquite
    I think this is V1.

Nope
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    These are rare indeed to find. I have been collecting rattlers now for 10 years and I still don't have one. But people have just started in the last years or so looking for them and posting info about them.

I know what to look for now but I have not found one.

Here is my set that has 272 rattlers in it and on the registry set in the collector showcases other category.

I found rattlers with labeling error, reverse label is in upside down and other items.

But not a single version 1 rattler.

RJP Rattler Set
    Bob

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious as to what version this one would be?

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    The 1926-S Oregon is a type (Version) 2

It has a green label.
    Bob

• Options
    I have maybe 12 or so, sold 2 recently, still avidly looking for them! image

Neat story behind them - wrong stationary delivered to PCGS by the printer - PCGS was ready to go so they used the labels until the correct paper arrived.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: stealer
    These are true version 1 rattlers. Arguably the Morgan is a version "1.1". The San Diego rattler is neither the 1 nor the 1.1.

imageimage

I LOVE that Trime! image
  • Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    This one was graded right after valente151's 1936-S Oregon that was posted in this thread image

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be helping you out soon...

(confession time)

Long ago, I picked up an MS-64 walker, (common late date), in a rattler...(which I believe to NOT be a type 1).

But it had some sticker glue on it. In my youthful exuberance, I liberally dabbed some acetone on it to clean it off.

Turns out, acetone eats into the plastic, (as most of you more, shall we say, intelligent folks probably already know).

The dang thing looks like hell. image I did some polishing on the "lens" portion so the coin is visible quite well. But the textured portion of the slab is a wreck.

Time for a re-holder/re-submission. :/
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the legit white label (v1) begin 108xxxx
    Labels with higher numbers, e.g. the 8xxxxxx shown above are just faded.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: IrishMikey
    Who else thinks that the 1884-O is closer to MS-64 than MS-62?

• Options
    MShermanMSherman Posts: 86 mod
    edited March 4, 2019 4:11PM
    There is a related thread on the forum - The Evolution of the PCGS holder. On July 31 I believe, I posted a comment regarding the white label holders. I'll repeat it below with a few enhancements:

White label holders were used less than a month. It was actually unplanned, as the vendor shipped the wrong color and type of labels. They were supposed to be ribbed, light green paper, but we got white, unribbed paper, so we used those till the correct labels arrived. This was in early February, 1986.

There are two varieties of white labels. Gen 1.0 used a crude, dot matrix printer. Note the shape of the "5". That was used only a few days, and I doubt more than a handful exist today. It appears the first 900 or 1000 coins used this style. Cert numbers are roughly 1080000 through 1081000.

Gen 1.1 used the newer, improved printer. Possibly around 1400 or so of these were issued. I would imagine there may be a few hundred of those around still, but that may be a high estimate. Cert numbers of these should be in the 1081000 to 1082380 range. (These are simply estimates from those I have seen.)

Note that the light green label (Gen 1.2) used from March 1986 through Sept 1989 tends to fade with time, so the real test for a true white label is the insert stock. It should be unribbed. If you see horizontal ribbing, it's a generation 1.2 even if it has faded to white.

Shortly, we will be announcing a website that will detail all of the PCGS holder generations.

Attached are a couple photos of Gen 1.0 and Gen 1.1.

I'll be happy to answer any questions or comments.

Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    Mike:

How much for the Merc?? image

Looking forward to seeing the website/page you mentioned. Thanks for the obvious time and effort you've put into this project!
  • Options
    You'd have to ask the owner... which ain't me.
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman
    Mike:

How much for the Merc?? image

Looking forward to seeing the website/page you mentioned. Thanks for the obvious time and effort you've put into this project!

NFS image

• Options
    Dang - I don't know how to price plastic that has a nice coin in it as well! image

• Options
    I'd love to have that one myself. image
  • Options
    I realize most of these have been seen before, but this is my current photo inventory of PCGS's Gen 1.0 holders. Any more out there?

Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing my best to rid the planet of these horrible holders. Probably have done close to a 100 or so.

You see dime man this is why we can't have nice things LOL
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    I attended a small coin show in Collinsville, IL today.
    I got a PCGS white rattler -- an MS62 1900-P Morgan -- number 07264.62/1081408. From the discussion above I concluded it is a version 1.1.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lew
    I attended a small coin show in Collinsville, IL today.
    I got a PCGS white rattler -- an MS62 1900-P Morgan -- number 07264.62/1081408. From the discussion above I concluded it is a version 1.1.

Nicely done!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file