Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can rack packs be resealed?

hoping for the answer of no but i'm prepared for the worst.
70's and 80's baseball cards

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, most definitely. There is a very prolific resealer of rack packs down in the Carolinas, and cpamike recently opened a 1970 baseball rack he was skeptical about only to find that it was indeed resealed. Star packs in particular should be scrutinized. A fake 78 rack with Murray on top sold not too long ago on ebay for over $200.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    I bought some 83 Topps baseball rack packs , from a great guy , at a great price , here on the boards. I was very dissappointed to be finding no stars then when looking at the remaining packs , to find that the rest appeared to have been resealed. Someone had used a clear glue in very small drops . When opening some , it wasn't a zipper pull , put an inconsistant pull. also the wrappers didn't quite line up in some.

I think the seller had probably purchased them as such , but I had done so much business , and got them at a great price , so I let it slide. I haven't bought anything unopened from him since but chalked up as a , hopefully , small lesson learned.

I still think the seller is a great guy.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, most definitely. There is a very prolific resealer of rack packs down in the Carolinas, and cpamike recently opened a 1970 baseball rack he was skeptical about only to find that it was indeed resealed. Star packs in particular should be scrutinized. A fake 78 rack with Murray on top sold not too long ago on ebay for over $200. >>

Grote15 is absolutely correct. On May 22, '09 Steve Hart wrote in his blog that many resealed vintage racks were coming into his store for sell. This included 1968, 1971 & 1975 Topps baseball racks. It also included 1971 Topps football racks. He also mentioned in another blog that resealed vintage racks was the biggest problem in the hobby today. He added that with '74 and earlier racks if a star is showing on top be very careful. And if two stars are on top be extremely careful. Just within the last two weeks I saw a counterfeit pre '75 Topps rack sell on ebay. The rack had the wrong header and just by coincidence it had not one but two Hall of Famers showing on top--it really is that big of a problem in our hobby!

Even wax trays can be resealed. If a machine can produce it then there will be someone out there who can reproduce it!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    sorry, but yes , there are large amounts of tampered raks on the market
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a guess but I wonder if a blacklight could expose a resealed pack?

I imagine that it probably could? Wouldn't it be able to spot that glue or perhaps other tampering? Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>It would probably be helpful to the OP (and everyone else) if those who have experience with resealed rack packs could either post scans or a description of what to look for. >>

Off the top of my head I could probably come with 20 or so critical points to look at on a rack in question. However there are rack counterfeiters who read our boards regularly so perhaps it is best I remain silent--for once.image
  • Options
    celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Does anyone happen to know the first year rack packs were produced? I'm not talking about xmas packs either but the real thing.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of rack packs, check out what this guy is selling:

Motherload of 77 racks
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone happen to know the first year rack packs were produced? I'm not talking about xmas packs either but the real thing. >>

The first year Topps produced rack packs was 1960. Topps did however produce a 1951 rack pack which contained 1951 Topps "game" cards commonly known as red backs.
    A few '58 Topps baseball racks have surfaced but they are counterfeits.
  • Options
    Summer is correct...1960 is the first legitimate date for Topps rack packs..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Grote is absolutely right, rack packs can most definitely be sealed. I unfortunately found out first hand by buying from one of the best counterfeiters in the business, letsgetitstarted1. The only way I could tell for sure was to open it up.image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Can anyone talk about the types of plastics used to make the racks. it appears that 77 and later have a clearer, thiner plastic and 76 and earlier have a thicker plastic. In fact, the ’77 racks have aged so well that it makes me worried that some of mine are modern fabrications. Without posting pics, can anyone talk about the ’77 plastic and comment on how well some of these racks look next to their one year older cousins, the 76’s.
  • Options
    Topps used thicker cello wrap prior to 1977 and that is why you will often see more discoloration in those racks and splits and cracks between the seams. They used even thinner cello wrap beginning in 1978 when Topps changed the header card and unit price to 59 cents so though 1977 racks hold up a lot better than racks produced prior to that you will still see splits between sections on some 77 racks that haven't been properly stored.

• Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    in this era, everything can be reproduced
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    How does this 84 Donruss Rack look?

84 donruss pack
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone happen to know the first year rack packs were produced? I'm not talking about xmas packs either but the real thing. >>

The 1st topps regular rack pack was produced in 1959 for football, the 1st baseball followed in 1960 using the same format as the 1959 FB, many times topps tested on FBall first
    and followed-up in the next baseball production like the seal in cello packs change in 1961 FBall 1se then 1962, Bball cello wrapper w/logo 1st 1972 Fball then 1973 Bbal,l super cello
    1978 FBall 1st then 1979 Bball followed, just a few examples,,,,,,,,,Jose
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    This might be the first rack pack- contained the '51 Red Back set, as a few team cards and Connie Mack All Stars.
    However, I've read credible reports by several that stated they were not a Topps product, so it may not prove anything.
    This sold for $15k in '09, and $7600 in '11.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Yes, most definitely. There is a very prolific resealer of rack packs down in the Carolinas, and cpamike recently opened a 1970 baseball rack he was skeptical about only to find that it was indeed resealed. Star packs in particular should be scrutinized. A fake 78 rack with Murray on top sold not too long ago on ebay for over $200. >>

I think the one Tim is talking about is in the pic below in both original form and tampered with.

• Options

<< <i>

I think the one Tim is talking about is in the pic below in both original form and tampered with.

image >>

That's it Jose! Thanks for posting it!

• Options
    Yes they can, sadly! Add to that people knowing the collation patterns and you have a real problem!
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Jose! That is incredible! Why aren't these people exposed????
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Can't these "prolific" crooks be turned into the Federal Authorities ?