Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Charlotte Card Show Weekend...

Corvette and and Miconelegacy night out in Charlotte, 10am comes early if we shut the town down.

Hopefully we'll find some raw vintage, and I'm talking about the cards...
Miconelegacy Auctions
"Live everyday, don't throw it away"

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get after it tonight and have a blast!!
  • Options
    This is borderline internet dating. Just sayin.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    I am heading to the Charlotte show in the morning. If anyone from here is going I will be the big guy wearing a brown Aerosmith shirt. I hope to find some cool stuff.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Running bar tab count: mike $462
    Tommy $296

I can't keep up and I thought I bought people more shots than anyone. This is the first bar too, lol!!!
  • Options
    Holy mother Mary of Tequila!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    What happened to Porter and Matt?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you gus are having a good time. I almost made the trip from Nashville.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Ripping a case of national treasures while the cab waits : $3000
    Cab ride to downtown: $80
    Dinner and shots for the entire restaurant in downtown Charlotte : $800
    Making it rain dolla bills while Mike dances on stage at a dueling piano bar: priceless
  • Options

<< <i>What happened to Porter and Matt? >>

They are coming in today along with Samspop. Mike, Matt, and I played golf yesterday until we got rained out on the 12th hole
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What happened to Porter and Matt? >>

They are coming in today along with Samspop. Mike, Matt, and I played golf yesterday until we got rained out on the 12th hole >>

I would guess Mike was leading, you were in second Tommy, and Matt was bringing up the rear. Am I right??? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Ripping a case of national treasures while the cab waits : $3000
    Making it rain dolla bills while Mike dances on stage at a dueling piano bar: priceless >>

Was this NT basketball you ripped?
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    What, no update on the show or the case National Treasures?
    I'll buy you each a cup of coffee: Jeff $8 (Starbucks)
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ripping a case of national treasures while the cab waits : $3000
    Making it rain dolla bills while Mike dances on stage at a dueling piano bar: priceless >>

I loves me some baseball cards purchased with the broken dreams of the desperate.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I hooked up with Mike, Tommy, Matt, Bobby and Mike (SamsPop) at the show today. I actually got there at 9:00 am (left the house at 6:00). Mike and Tommy did show up although Mike was the last to arrive. Both guys had some good stories from last night but I will let them tell everyone. Let's just say Mike looked like he had been rode hard and put away wet.

It was great to meet Matt and Bobby as well as Tommy. I swear Tommy is going to end up with his own reality show at some point.

The show was really good. A good mixture of vintage and new shiney stuff. Bought some nice Reds cards for my collection and a bunch on un-opened. I will post some scans later tonight or in the morning......kinda tired after 6 hours of driving and 8 hours on my feet.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    It was great meeting everyone this weekend. Just got back from the sports bar where Matt, Bobby, both Mike's and myself have been hanging since the show ended at like 4:30. Mark, you missed out, next time get a hall pass, lol. Think I've met some lifelong friends this weekend and it was a blast. Show was pretty good. I bought a nice NM+ 1971 set, 2 wax boxes of '86 Topps Football, 3 Kobe auto cards, and a few dead wax packs of '80 Topps (thanks Mike B., Samspop), lol

Can't wait for the next get together. We've already scheduled like 4 of them, lol
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Mike, Tommy, Matt, Bobby, and Mark. Great time today. Sorry about the 1980 wax rip Tommy...I may get really drunk later and convince myself to submit some of the commons and pray for 10's (lol). Looking forward to seeing all of you guys again soon. Thanks for picking up the bulk of the tab tonight Matt!! image
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    What happens in Charlotte stays in Charlotte.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Remember, loose lips sink ships. And what Dan said. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Edit: for spelling on IPhone...

Great time this weekend, and was really a pleasure meeting Matt, Tommy, Bobby, and Mike.

Great golf course Matt lives next to, wind was moving, then came the rain. Can't wait to get back and play another round, just a gorgeous course. Thanks again Matt.

Tommy and I tore it up, hard, way to hard. But it was a blast! Tommy can put it down, and the Irish and German doesn't need a twisted arm. Charlotte is definitely full fun.

Yes I needed to recover, well severely recover, and didn't get to the show until 1:30. I first tried to pick up a lot of 14 Goldschmidt Auto's half raw, the others 9's and 10's. So the guy says $780 takes the lot. So I'm like $700 that's 10% off, he says no. So we chatted more about cards I said alright let's do the deal for $740, he says no. I'm like really? I flat out told him you do realize your only giving me 5% off your asking price, he says yeah I know. I said okay then. So I left. I couldn't believe it, an hour later after I'm sure he saw me dropping cash he came over and told me to see him before I left. Yeah right.

I was introduced to a great seller who sells at shows twice a month. Straight shooter and great to buy from. He had a blazer 1964 Topps AL Bombers PSA 9, he wanted $900. I looked at VCP which was $834. I said how's $800, he said great. Much refreshing after dealing with the no 5% tight wad!

This guy has Awesome raw cards, modern too. He loves his vintage as much as modern, and knows his stuff. We then combo dealed a Kevin Durant 2nd year Auto, Miguel Cabrera Superfractor 1/1, a Lebron jersey Auto, and a Blake Griffin RC Auto. I forget so
    E of the serial numbers. $1,000 deal. Great combo pricing. I'll get scans up.

Finally from the same guy I bought 100 PSA 7, and 7.5's for $10 card. A bunch of 62's, that are really nice looking, he did sell me 10 high numbers for $20.00 a card, some 63's, 64's, and a few 65's. Mostly commons, but there some $30/40 cards in there, maybe more! Rick their coming to you. He wrapped them all up for $1,100.

We all must have spent at least an hour plus there at his table, he met us out after the show for a couple drinks and some apps. We all hung out for awhile, Mike, Tommy and I chatted it up till like 9:30. Might Meet Mike out in Vegas in 3 weeks for some golf and NCAA betting!!

It was great meeting you all, you are a bunch of great people. Had a blast. Look forward to another Charlotte/Card show trip. image

Mike
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>What happens in Charlotte stays in Charlotte. >>

I'm sure someone should ask Charlotte and see how she feels about that! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wanted to go to this show as well....until I looked at the calendar and realized it was the same weekend as my anniversary! image The wife is still talking to me, so I think I made the right decision! imageimage Sounds like a blast. I hope to be able to get there next time. image
  • Options
    Here are the scans of the Reds cards I picked up at the show yesterday. I am very happy with the deal I got on these. I will post the un-opened items I got in the un-opened thread.

The Nuxhall is a POP 4 with (1) 9Q, (7) 9's and no 10's.

Also picked up some raw and graded 59 Topps for my set as well.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a pleasure to finally meet Mark, Mike and Tommy. I really had a great time spending the day with all of those guys and then after at the Brick. Matt and Mike (Samspop) your ok too. image

I agree with everyone that the show had a lot to offer with vintage as well a new modern stuff. I was very pleased with the amount of people who attended the show, that was good to see. Tommy bought a blazer of 71 Topps baseball set and Mike's 64 AL Bombers card is simple spectacular. It was nice to see Matt buy some modern stuff (Bryce Harper) Mark picked up a lot of nice unopened material. (Mark BTW I love the Ripken rack) Mike (Samspop) sorry about your luck on the 80's pack, but the 79 packs were even better. As a group we opened 5 packs of 1979 Topps baseball which we believed were resealed. The best card pulled was a Mike Schmidt by Matt, but the Schmidt was missing a corner.

Here's my highlights from the show.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Nice bunch of Reds cincy. I went to the show as well and had a pretty good time. Will go to the next one for sure.

I picked up an 89 Bowman Griffey Jr PSA 10, 84 Donruss Mattingly rookie PSA 9, PSA 8 80 Burger King Nolan Ryan and a PSA 2 t206 Otto Knabe. Also got several cards for my 76 Topps set which is almost complete.
  • Options

<< <i>I flat out told him you do realize your only giving me 5% off your asking price, he says yeah I know. >>

You wanted a 5% discount on a $780 purchase...... for a group of cards of a player where the pool of interested buyers would be pretty limited..... and he said no? image
    Is it safe to assume this guy would not haggle on anything?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree very nice bunch of Reds!

That 65 Keough at one time was a tuffy in PSA 8.

Too bad that 63 Brosnan got the PD qualifier, I've seen worse without the designation.

That lint mark probably is what done it.

Sounds like you'all had a nice time.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially the debaucherous ones. image

Good for you.
  • Options
    Just got home. I ended up going back to the show this morning to get a partial refund on one of the '86 Topps Football boxes I bought. It was packs inside of a different box. I didn't think anything of it and Mike B. (Samspop) said the box might be short some packs since the '86 box is taller than most. So when I started ripping last night, sure enough, it only had 28 packs in it. I ripped 21 and the cards were beautiful, got 2 minty Rice's and around 15 commons that have shots at 10. The seller refunded me for the shortage and was very nice about it. We talked for a good while this morning and on the way out I bought a sick Kevin Durant auto patch rookie. Only saw 2 Durant auto rookies yesterday and the same guy that wouldn't deal with Mike K. had them and he wanted almost twice what they were worth. Don't know how I overlooked this one yesterday. The '71 set is even better than I thought. Most of these are 7's and 8's and probably some 9's. The Munson is on the low end of the range of these cards, really nice set.

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Finally get a chance to sit down and reflect on this crazy weekend. Can't really put into words how much fun this weekend was! It was great meeting Tommy, Mike and Mark finally after spending alot of time talking through PM's all these years. The weekend kicked off on Friday when Tommy and Mike met me at my golf club and we enjoyed some very challenging golf. The course plays tough under normal conditions, but we braved a very overcast day with winds steadily in the 20-25 MPH range at times. I normally hit an 8 iron 150-155 yards. It was a trip to hit a 5 iron into the wind on a 153 yard par 3, and come up at least 1 club short. If the conditions weren't tough as it was, Tommy and Mike start by placing a bet on the first hole for a $750 box of cards. image We unfortunately were only able to get through 12 hoes before the skies just opened up and down poured. Oh well, we were able to get to the clubs bar and start drinking! After three or four beverages, I called it a night, and who knows what went on in downtown Charlotte with Tommy and Mike. I know Mike was struggling yesterday morning from what I was told.

Saturday was show day! Bobby came by my place and after grabbing a quick bite to eat, we made the show. Tommy was already there, and we met Mark and Mike there as well. As was said before me, we enjoyed a group rip on some 79 Topps that were clearly resealed, and watching Tommy and Mike go nuts with a dealer a the show. They both walked out of there with quite the hall. I myself picked up quite a mix of stuff, that I was hoping to make some future money on. As Bobby said, I picked up 8 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper's for $25, and a Refractor Chrome Harper for another $20. In addition, I was able to pick up a couple NASCAR legends auto's (Benny Parson and Cale Yarborough)for my Auto collection from another board member Val (Nascar360). I really enjoyed talking with Val and learning about some of the early NASCAR sets that have been produced over the years. From there, I found a nice deal on a 89 UD Low #'s that netted just about everyone I could hope to hit. Griffey is so NICE but there is a little green print dot on his face image Lastly, I made a good old fashioned trade with the same dealer that Tommy and Mike spent heavily with. I gave him my 64 Niekro PSA 8.5 for a 64 Pete Rose PSA 7.5. Took a hit on the grade, but Rose is much more marketable, and actually has a higher VCP than the Niekro card in 8.5.

Great times last night at the bar, talking about collecting and cards. Can't wait to do it again!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Matt .. glad to hear you guys had a lot of fun.

Mike ... your choice!
    image[img]http://s4.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/A5396C4C.jpg">
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Matt .. glad to hear you guys had a lot of fun.

Mike ... your choice!

This always does the trick, but really couldn't get out to my car to get it until 10am... image I feel great today! I'd do it again tonight, but would much rather play and hang out with my precious kids..
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    First off I saw this beauty, and after looking at it, the corners are just sharp as all can be. It's a Pop 39 in PSA 9, and only 1 higher. This will go into the PC.

Next up I was looking at the Tebow card, and we ended up bundling like on Pickers. $1,000 for all 4 of these! Great prices. The Tebow and Cabrera will be getting graded.

Miguel Carbrera 2010 Bowman Chrome Superfractor 1/1

Tim Tebow 2011 National Treasures 2 Color Patch on Card Auto 25/99

And Finally a couple of hot stars in the NBA Kevin Durant and Lebron James.

The Durant is #D 2/25, and the Lebron is his second year card 2 Color Jersey on card Auto 9/25

Finally at the show I purchased all of these cards from the same dealer. He had a bunch of PSA 7 61, 62, 63, 64, 65. There were a couple modern cards as well. I started looking through and asked him what he wanted for the whole box. He confidently said $10 a card, and $20 for the high number 62's. He threw in some extra 64's, and I ended up getting 110 of these for $1100. I am not very familiar with these years with commons and some of the tougher cards, but after looking through them today, I think I did quite well. Here is a sample of the cards I bought.

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    It was great meeting you all, you are a bunch of great people. Had a blast. Look forward to another Charlotte/Card show trip. image

Mike >>

If you do one during the summer months I would love to come over.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Mike, I still don't see what is keeping that PSA 9 Mantle out of a 10 holder.....just don't see it. Those PSA 7 commons are out of sight. I looked through the box of 8's he had and there was definitely some of those that could have bumped.

Tommy - that is really a nice looking 71 set. You really should do well on it.

Matt - I love the Rose. I was looking at that and the PSA 7 Perez rookie he had. Decided on the Reds commons instead. You can never go wrong with a high grade 2nd year Rose.

Bobby - Nice Jeter SP. You can never go wrong with that card and it is such a toughie in high grade. Did you get anything out of the Bowman Sterling?

Mike (SamsPop) - nice 79 and 80 cards image Did you get anything out of the 2 boxes you bought?

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524