Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need some advice/tips on the 1986-87 Fleer Basketball set. NEWEST ADDITION ADDED 1/24

The set is iconic to me. I love the volume of HOF rookies, the design and having the rookie card of the greatest player of all time in it.

I bought my first PSA graded one last week from a board member. I bought a Clyde Drexler PSA 8.

I want to build an entire PSA set in one year from today. The first year I just want to build the set in grades ranging around PSA 7, 8 and a few 9's sprinkled in.

Then I just want to work on upgrading it the next year.

Do you have any advice you could share?

Do you know anywhere I could buy several at one time(for around ebay prices) instead of buying one at a time to save on shipping.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I've been working on the same set in PSA 8 for the last year myself. I just keep an eye on ebay PSA auctions and I've found some decent deals. Once in a while you'll find someone who is selling commons for 7-8 bucks each. At that price, I'll buy as many as I need. The tough part is finding the RC's and stars that sellers don't want too much for, but if you're patient, they do come up. I've been watching ebay closely on this one.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I would just spend the $1500 and buy a PSA 8 complete set, there are plenty that come up for sale.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The set seems to be extremely affordable in PSA 9 grades. Obviously the mega stars are gonna cost you though....
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    I am building this set in PSA 8/9 as well. My recommendation would be to set 8 as your minimum. 8s are affordable, easy to come by and usually present well, where a 7 may not (7s would also have much less resale value if you ever wanted to sell). Just my opinion. Also, be aware of the tougher cards. I believe all cards in multiples of 11 (ie, 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 111, 121, and 132 ), are tough in good condition, as they were at the end of the printing sheet and often cut with uneven borders. The Johnny Moore #78 card is also tough for some reason. It is a fun set to collect, good luck with the venture!
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Picked this one up for $17.00 shipped and makes it two down and 130 to go.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Nathan!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    I just started on this set as well. I prefer the BGS grades for post 1980 cards, no rhyme or reason, just a personal preference. Going after all the cards graded is a great chase but I have seen the registry turn into an addiction. Its like crack and you may find yourself spending more on Johnny Moore than Clyde Drexler.

Raw commons/semi stars are very affordable but centering is often a huge issue. I have been lucky enough to pick up a lot of 90 in really presentable shape for a little over $100. I would say most would be PSA 7s with some 8s. Also got an amazing Jordan 8.5 with few 9 subgrades for a good price. Currently at 100/132 and only been at it 2 weeks!

Ebay has tons of PSA cards up for auction. Just search for your grades and you will be buying non stop!

Anyone with BGS 8.5-9 stars for sale, send a PM.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    For that set, you can pick up PSA 9's aready graded for around $10. I would go that route, rather than buy cards raw not knowing what they will grade at. And you have to average $5 per card for the grading fee, so that is a savings right there, when you can get PSA 9's already graded......

This one I sold last night for $8.17

• Options
    Agree with above for sure, if you are looking to grade the whole set its best to buy them graded. I know there is a full set plus stickers, all PSA 9 on Mile High Auctions right now at about $3500 with maybe another day or 2 left. You might want to check it out.

• Options
    Thanks for the info guys.

I plan to buy any PSA 9(that I need) that presents decent for $8.00 $10.00 each. To me that is a bargain. I am really surprised because three or four years ago the commons were 30.00/40.00 per card. So if anybody has common 9's for $8.00- 10.00 each shipped I am up to buy several instead of selling them on ebay for a little less.

I have seen some PSA 9's NQ that seem worse than 65/35 IMHO, so I plan to stay away from those.

I really like the BGS holders. However, PSA just seems to have a lot more to choose from when I search.
  • Options

<< <i>I am building this set in PSA 8/9 as well. My recommendation would be to set 8 as your minimum. 8s are affordable, easy to come by and usually present well, where a 7 may not (7s would also have much less resale value if you ever wanted to sell). Just my opinion. Also, be aware of the tougher cards. I believe all cards in multiples of 11 (ie, 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 111, 121, and 132 ), are tough in good condition, as they were at the end of the printing sheet and often cut with uneven borders. The Johnny Moore #78 card is also tough for some reason. It is a fun set to collect, good luck with the venture! >>

This is good advice, I would stick with a minimum grade of 8 if you can. There's just not much demand for 7's in this series, especially considering how much of this product is still unopened.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am building this set in PSA 8/9 as well. My recommendation would be to set 8 as your minimum. 8s are affordable, easy to come by and usually present well, where a 7 may not (7s would also have much less resale value if you ever wanted to sell). Just my opinion. Also, be aware of the tougher cards. I believe all cards in multiples of 11 (ie, 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 111, 121, and 132 ), are tough in good condition, as they were at the end of the printing sheet and often cut with uneven borders. The Johnny Moore #78 card is also tough for some reason. It is a fun set to collect, good luck with the venture! >>

This is good advice, I would stick with a minimum grade of 8 if you can. There's just not much demand for 7's in this series, especially considering how much of this product is still unopened. >>

Yep, already decided to go with PSA 8/9 after he posted that information for me.