Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1966 PSA 8 #591-Why so Expensive?

The VCP average is $315. VCP has recorded about 25 sales over the past three years. It is the 175th (by my quick count) most difficult card. What is driving the price? It is a rookie card of Grant Jackson (nice career, but not close to the HOF), and Bart Shirley.

Comments

• same reason that damn '66 Choo Choo Coleman is so much! supply and demand
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • the 8 is so expensive because is the 9 is impossible...
    only 1 has sold in the last 6 years....( sold be me )

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 9 - Average Price: $1,076.00
    Listing Type: Show:
    Date Auction Link Seller Buyer Bids Price Extra
    6/23/10 eBay probstein123 2***9 19 $1,076.00
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • That card in any condition goes for a premium. I paid $50 for a VG raw card just so I could complete my set.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That card in any condition goes for a premium. I paid $50 for a VG raw card just so I could complete my set. >>

+1

I did the same thing about 4 years ago. It was the last card I needed to complete my 1958 - 1980 Dodgers team set run.

I saw maybe 5 of them over a several year span, and the one I bought was the only one that had decent centering.

Steve
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think it might also be a single print.

yeah I ponied up for mine too.

Good for you.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a tough 1966 high number. I'm sure there are lower pop cards from other sets in that era that sell for much less. I think it sells for more than those lower pop cards because it is a well recognized high number that is hard to find raw or graded. Others can sneak below the radar and go for a relative bargain.
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the forum when a seemingly common card is brought up that is hard to find in decent condition. Makes me run for my cards to take a look. I remember buying most of the '66 highs back in the late 80's and they cost much more than the others. I think I payed $10 to $15 a card for Hi's back then, sorry. The Mantilla and Mets Rookie Stars are in the best condition of this group. The Choo Choo however wouldn't make a 8 IMO and the N. League Rookie Stars might be OC.

• << <i>I love the forum when a seemingly common card is brought up that is hard to find in decent condition. Makes me run for my cards to take a look. I remember buying most of the '66 highs back in the late 80's and they cost much more than the others. I think I payed $10 to $15 a card for Hi's back then, sorry. The Mantilla and Mets Rookie Stars are in the best condition of this group. The Choo Choo however wouldn't make a 8 IMO and the N. League Rookie Stars might be OC.

image >>

VERY nice cards sir! The Klimchock is another Mets toughie!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that Willie Davis is sweet.

Nice run of cards.
    Good for you.
  • what are you waiting for, those need to be sent in asap..

Whats even more "amazing" is the difference in price between an 8.5 and 9 for the 66 highs.

I know we have talked about this, but the Snyder and Tebbits (sic) are impossible in 9 as well.

The semi highs and highs are what make this set special (IMO). Try finding a Bob Friend in PSA 9....

In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Do the other series in 66 also have short prints? Since the series are the same size I would think they would have the same type of breakdown on the sheet.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
    Hi Jim

Only the last series have the Sp's and IIRC there are 44 of them.

Also, the Cardinals rookies card #544 is very tough to find as well.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Do the other series in 66 also have short prints? Since the series are the same size I would think they would have the same type of breakdown on the sheet.

Jim >>

Yes, but couple that the the fact the Topps traditionally produced fewer cards in the later series' due to waning late-season interest, and you get a double-whammy on availablility for vintage years.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    King are you sure? I've always thought that the SP's are only in the last series.

Also, and I could be wrong, (someone like Moran would know for sure) the last series
    does not have the same amount of cards as the other ones. IIRC the first 6 series have 88 cards
    per series and the 7th has 70, 44 of which are SP's.

Good for you.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>King are you sure? I've always thought that the SP's are only in the last series.

Also, and I could be wrong, (someone like Moran would know for sure) the last series
    does not have the same amount of cards as the other ones. IIRC the first 6 series have 88 cards
    per series and the 7th has 70, 44 of which are SP's. >>

Not sure for 66, but I thought most sets at that time had more than one series with SPs due to the sheet size; I was just adding that the last series was traditionally printed at a much smaller rate than earlier series.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>544 the cards rookie is another tough one. >>

VCP in an "8" is over $300.00

Only one to sell in the past year in a "9" sold 11 months ago for $1,200.00
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Also, and I could be wrong, (someone like Moran would know for sure) the last series
    per series and the 7th has 70, 44 of which are SP's. >>

1st Series ... 1 - 88
    2nd Series ... 89-176
    3rd Series ... 177-264
    4th Series ... 265-352
    5th Series ... 353-429
    6th Series ... 430-506
    7th Series ... 507-598

Looks like the Last Series has the MOST cards.

Edited to add: Looks like all the SPs are in the last series and it seems like there are 39 of them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Doug

The cards overlap, I think the last series actually starts at 522 or something like that.

Edited to add: I mean what is on the actual sheet. Moran would know for sure.

I saw that too when I was looking at my set earlier.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Doug
    The cards overlap, I think the last series actually starts at 522 or something like that.
    Edited to add: I mean what is on the actual sheet. Moran would know for sure.
    I saw that too when I was looking at my set earlier.
    Steve >>

AH, OK Steve. I was just going off the checklists.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Doug

For these earlier topps sets, previous series cards were placed on the next series
    CL. I have a PM in with David Hornich about this, he is an expert on this chit. That way
    we can know for sure. About 6 or 7 years ago there was a thread regarding this very topic.

Some earlier sets, notably 53 Topps have SP sprinkled throughout.

1957 tuffies are the 4th series cards simply because they were not on the shelves that long.

Good for you.
    While we are talking about 66 Topps below are the 3 different variations
    of card 43. From left C, B, A versions.

Good for you.

<< <i>Doug
    For these earlier topps sets, previous series cards were placed on the next series
    CL. >>

Yes Steve, I am aware of that.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Is this a color variation?

Jim

<< <i>While we are talking about 66 Topps below are the 3 different variations
    of card 43. From left C, B, A versions.

image >>

60's OPC packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
    Not to try and get off the thread subject, but are there any similar high priced high number commons in 64 or 65? I know their high numbers were much more common and they do not have the SPs but I bought a large lot of high number commons many a year ago and was wondering if there were any to look for specifically. Thanks for the hlep and enjoy picking up all this new information.

Jim
    60's OPC packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
    Notice the buttons on the trousers.

A is the original version, B Topps attempted to clean it up, C cleaned up.

I have them in the wrong order.

Good for you.

<< <i>Not to try and get off the thread subject, but are there any similar high priced high number commons in 64 or 65? Jim >>

Jim ... looks like the following cards from the '64 set go for $300.00+ in "PSA 9".
    528 - As Rookies
    538 Minoso
    540 Aparicio
    543 Ueker
    579 Red Sox Team
    581 Yankees Rookies

EDITED to add the same for the '65 set:
    550 Stottlemyre
    555 Baldshun
    568 Taylor
    Red Sox Rookies
    598 Downing
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

1965 topps do have some SP's Brock if I recall was one Claude Osteen another.

With that said even they are abundant, or at least when I was building my 65 Topps set in 8 they were.

I found the (I think) 4th series cards to be tuff. (It may have been 3rd)

Also, and I'm not sure what the difference is but SP can mean short printed or single printed.

here is an interesting article by OBC's George Vrecheck

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/5253printing.htmlText
    Good for you.