Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow, I just cost someone some serious coin, 63 Stargell autographed

Well, it hasn't been my weekend for auctions. Two of my so called "white whales" were available and I could only afford one, so I let a Hoyt Wilhelm signed rookie go last night at Memory Lane, and then tonight, I was going to buy a 63 Willie Stargell (or so I thought, LOL)

I was the underbidder at $1034.00. Winning bidder got it for $1059.00 for a card that has a pinhole and writing on it, in addition to the autograph. The 3rd highest bidder bid $275.25.

I may not have won, but at least I got the satisfaction of costing someone almost $800 extra dollars.

I'm sure they are excited about it though. It's a VERY tough card to find for sale. I know of a few, but none of them are for sale.

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Mike:

Keep in mind that a lot of snipes probably didn't get executed. I know I had one set at $600 and it didn't go off as the price had been eclipsed before the snipe was to execute with about 5 seconds left.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike:

Keep in mind that a lot of snipes probably didn't get executed. I know I had one set at $600 and it didn't go off as the price had been eclipsed before the snipe was to execute with about 5 seconds left. >>

Gotcha, I like thinking I cost them money though image Doesn't make me feel so bad for being the LOSER!!!
  • Options
    BTW, I don't think there's a pinhole. I think that is either wax or some other spluge that appears top center and in Gosgar's red circle.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    LOL Mike...I just made a thread regarding the same card. I was sniped at 388...I didnt think I would win at that but you never know. I figured it was going to go 600-700. I was shocked at the high bid! Did you have your snipe set at 10 seconds? Because your bid seemed to go off before my snipe even had a chance.
  • Options
    I was in the same boat as you as far as this being the biggest weekend of the year for HOF RC Auto's. I also thought I was gonna win a Stargell, but anything over $500 for it is insane and yes the winner overpaid but if his bid was only $50 less then it would have been you who would've overpaid and gotten a card that has a pinhole and writing on it and it would have been you who almost paid an extra $800. This was only the 2nd Stargell I have seen for sale since I started collecting signed HOF RC's back in 07' and that one went for $250 so the 3rd highest bidder had it right with his bid. HOPEFULLY some of those owners of signed 63' Stargell's will see this sale and lists theirs and maybe we will have a influx of them for sale so in turn we can get them for cheap LOL!

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I don't think there's a pinhole. I think that is either wax or some other spluge that appears top center and in Gosgar's red circle. >>

You're killin' me Scott. Let me have my pity party image Come on down to Texas and I'll take ya out for some serious alcohol and I'll drink with ya even though I haven't had any since 06
  • Options

<< <i> Did you have your snipe set at 10 seconds? >>

My snipe is my fingers. I hate those automated bidding programs.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I was in the same boat as you as far as this being the biggest weekend of the year for HOF RC Auto's. I also thought I was gonna win a Stargell, but anything over $500 for it is insane and yes the winner overpaid but if his bid was only $50 less then it would have been you who would've overpaid and gotten a card that has a pinhole and writing on it and it would have been you who almost paid an extra $800. This was only the 2nd Stargell I have seen for sale since I started collecting signed HOF RC's back in 07' and that one went for $250 so the 3rd highest bidder had it right with his bid. HOPEFULLY some of those owners of signed 63' Stargell's will see this sale and lists theirs and maybe we will have a influx of them for sale so in turn we can get them for cheap LOL!

Dan >>

Dan, It wasnt too far out of whack IMO. I was offered a PSA/DNA slabbed 63 Stargell about two months ago for $1,000 and I turned it down so one of my friends on SCN could buy it. It sold for $1,000. So there has at least been 2 of them at that level just the past couple months.

I keep thinking for the ones I miss that there can't be too many nuts like me out there that will pay that level. We'll see what the next one does.

Mike
  • Options
    Oh ok wow, I didn't even know about that one. I just know about the publicly offered ones. Even then $1000 really is still kinda high. There HAS to be more out there. I guess around $700 would seem reasonable for one. And I have to admit that I did think that this one would go for $1000+ just because of the rareity of them. If you don't mind me asking, who was the scn member who bought it?
    Dan
  • Options
    I'll be silly when some '48 Leafs autos come up. I'm sure I'll have some competition for the likes of Layne, Hart, Nomellini or Waterfield. There are also a couple of commons that I'd pay dearly for...
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be silly when some '48 Leafs autos come up. I'm sure I'll have some competition for the likes of Layne, Hart, Nomellini or Waterfield. There are also a couple of commons that I'd pay dearly for... >>

That white background one you posted was pretty sweet. You ever see any of those white background ones signed?

M
  • Options
    Not yet. The odds are very, very slim, though. There aren't more than a dozen graded in total... They are tough.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Your bid was pretty close to a winning bid Mike, I'm glad there were a few other snipers besides you and me or I would have felt like I overpaid by quite a bit image If I had seen the Robinson on memory lane last night you would have probably won this one.
  • Options

<< <i> If you don't mind me asking, who was the scn member who bought it?
    Dan >>

PM sent
  • Options

<< <i>Your bid was pretty close to a winning bid Mike, I'm glad there were a few other snipers besides you and me or I would have felt like I overpaid by quite a bit image If I had seen the Robinson on memory lane last night you would have probably won this one. >>

Hey Alex,

Congrats on the pickup. That's a toughie for sure. At least it went to a fellow Texan, LOL.

Mike
  • Options
    well i got 3 of my signed '54 topps baseball whales this week..all for less then the stargell...1854 hank aaron signed rookie, ernie banks, and al kaline!!! i think the Hank Aaron is my personal fave!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your string of bad luck, Mike, I know you've wanted both of those cards for a while.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    How tough is the Sandy Koufax auto rookie? I've got one but it's the one card in my collection I will never sell. Just wondering. I know he is still alive but is a somewhat tough autograph.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well i got 3 of my signed '54 topps baseball whales this week..all for less then the stargell...1854 hank aaron signed rookie, ernie banks, and al kaline!!! i think the Hank Aaron is my personal fave!!! >>

those 1854's are tough autos for sure.