Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1977 Topps 3 card panel - any info?

Does anyone know the story behind this? I don't think it's just cut from an uncut sheet because the star power and New York angle would be too much of a coincidence. The back is fully printed. Thanks.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a Burger King Yankees/Mets panel????

Dave
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    What card number is the Munson and Catfish?
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe a Burger King Yankees/Mets panel???? >>

There were no 1977 Burger King Mets cards.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The numbers on the back are 280 for Hunter, 170 Munson and 150 Seaver. THere is nothing on the back that looks different from standard 1977 Topps cards.
    Daniel
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I believe those are just cut from a full sheet.
  • Options
    They could be inserts from the 1970's Dynamite magazine.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Throughout the 70s Dynamite magazine had Topps baseball card inserts in panels. The cards were regular Topps cards
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, did not see the prior post
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Those are three of the toughest PSA 9 "Name Players" in that set.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Being at the edge of the sheet is we prime reason
    why 9s are rough

Dave
  • Options
    I just googled "1977 Topps uncut sheet" and it led me to a Net 54 disucssion from 2008. They were saying the same thing: Dynamite magazine from the 1970's. Thanks all for the replies.
    Daniel
  • Options
    I believe that these were actually Topps' Salesman Samples. I own one myself that contains Randy Jones, Steve Garvey and Jack Billingham. The Topps cards that came in Dynamite Magazine in the 1970's actually were similiar to how the tearouts in magazines work if you wanted to subscribe to a magazine. Essentially there were four cards on one page and two cards on the other page. I've attached images from a current ebay auction to explain this more clearly.

a
  • Options

I like seeing old posts pop up again after a long time but this is the first one where I was the OP.
    Hard to believe I was in my 40's when I posted this and now I'm in my 60's. :#

Daniel
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2023 11:09AM

@rbsalezman said:
    I got a graded 1977 Topps Dynamite six card insert sheet back from PSA recently. You can see they’re different than the three card salesman sample mentioned in this thread.

If you decide to sell, I am interested.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I like seeing old posts pop up again after a long time but this is the first one where I was the OP.
    Hard to believe I was in my 40's when I posted this and now I'm in my 60's. :#

I'm in another forum since 2002 and I know what you mean! Time is relentless...

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

stevegarveyfan Posts : 567 ✭✭✭✭September 30, 2023 11:09AM edited September 30, 2023 11:09AM
    @rbsalezman said:
    I got a graded 1977 Topps Dynamite six card insert sheet back from PSA recently. You can see they’re different than the three card salesman sample mentioned in this thread.

I actually got two of them graded and both came back as 2's. I collect Garvey's as well so maybe we can work out a trade if you have any duplicates. Send be a DM.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rbsalezman said:
    stevegarveyfan Posts : 567 ✭✭✭✭September 30, 2023 11:09AM edited September 30, 2023 11:09AM
    @rbsalezman said:

I actually got two of them graded and both came back as 2's. I collect Garvey's as well so maybe we can work out a trade if you have any duplicates. Send be a DM.

DM sent

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:

@rbsalezman said:

Wow they graded your dynamite?
    That's awesome... I have a 3 card insert..do u think they will grade the 3 card insert ?

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I don't know. I'm thinking of doing that next. Which three players are on your insert? Based on the ones above, it looks like they made a sample for New York and possible Southern California. Interested to know what the other ones are if there are more.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Returning to the subject of the original post, it looks like part of a normal sheet to me…

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

There's too many available for sale on eBay over the years of the same three cards to be cut from an original sheet as a one off.

Topps probably cut these off of original sheets and then sent them to retailers as samples based on what part of the country you lived. These exist for both their 1977 MLB and NFL sets which also make me think this was done by Topps and not a one off.

It's the only reason I can think of for why (17) of these three card panels would exist since this NFL panel contains two Cleveland Browns and one St. Louis Cardinal. None of these players on the panel were stars in 1977 or are today.

https://www.steinersports.com/lot-of-17-1977-topps-football-3-card-uncut-panels-mitchell-reaves-phipps/p-2347571726848915+z-927-164366468

Other NFL panels I've noticed include.

• Larry McCarren, Walter Payton, Charlie Hall

The same goes for Baseball. The same three card panels are always available on eBay.

• Catfish Hunter, Thurman Munson, Tom Seaver
    • Jack Billingham, Steve Garvey, Randy Jones
    • Doug DeCinces, Ken Forsch, Mike Schmidt
    • Tommy John, Paul Hartzell, Stan Wall
    • Rich Gossage, Del Unser, Dave Chalk

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2018/02/

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of stacks of these as well, 78T I believe. Clearly they were for magazine insertion. Someone got their hands on a large quantity that never got inserted and they are relatively plentiful even now.

I've been known to dabble in Steve Garvey items myself.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.