Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

need help 1969 topps baseball variations

Hi all,

I am almost done with a raw set of 1969 topps baseball. Can someone educate me, or tell me where I can get educated on the variation cards in this set? I do have the Mantle White letters for my top 250 sportscards in the hobby set. How many other white letter cards are there. Also, I saw Clendenon has more than one variation. I am so confused!!!!!!!

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Brian
1911 C55 hockey
1935 National Chicle
1961 Golden Press
1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
Top 200 cards in the hobby
Top 250 cards in the hobby
All time lakers
All time Dodgers
1957 Disney Characters
1965 Donruss Disneyland
1966 Get Smart
Brian

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    PM sent
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I cannot confirm all of these exist or what is print flaw vs. error

1969 Topps

Cards 440-511 have their names (first or last or both or position) in either Yellow or White
    47 Paul Popovich A- Emblem on helmet airbrused to top of helmet B- Emblem on helmet airbrushed to just below top of helmet C- C on helmet visable through airbrushing D-?- Missing Stats, C on helmet visable. Unsure if legit. Didn’t look like paper loss.
    49 Jones/Rodriquez A- Rodriguez on front B- Rodriquez on front
    57 Denny McLain A- Collar partially visable, no dot after S in U.S.A. on copyright B- Full collar, dot after S in U.S.A. on copyright C- No collar, dot after S in U.S.A. on copyright
    77 Ron Perranoski A- LA on cap B- Small Black airbrushed spot on cap C- Large Black airbrushed spot on cap
    99 Morris/Nettles A- No loop, Yellow names B- Loop, Yellow names C- Loop, White names
    107 Bob Gibson A- #161 is Jim Purdin, #158 is missing part of the J in Joe Gibbon B- #161 is Jim Purdin, #158 has a full J in Joe Gibbon C- 3161 is John Purdin
    151 Clay Dalrymple A- Orioles portrait B- Phillies catching
    208 Donn Clenenon A- Houston, N on back reversed B- Expos, no N on back
    214 Checklist A- 4 in 214 visable B- 4 in 214 chopped off at bottom
    412 Checklist A- 459 2nd L in Bowell visable B- 459 2nd L in Bowell is cut off at top
    485 Gaylord Perry A- Last name Yellow B- Last name White,# on back visable C- Last name White, # partially obscured on back
    500 Mickey Mantle A- Last name White B- Last name Yellow with TGC on back C- Last name Yellow missing TCG
    582 Tony Olivia A- White circle on back B- Red circle on back
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe there is a Willie McCovey WL variation too.

Dave
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    regarding #47 Popovich, there is a variation with a white swoosh over missing stats, i found one in my '69 shoebox along with 2 or 3 other variations.....i've sold several Popo's over the years and have no idea which was which.....i don't think the Pop Report knows either, anyone working on this set in PSA slabs knows what i'm talking about.

i've spent time researching this set for other oddities and even shared some info with another collector sometime ago after he purchased a few cards from me.....i brought up the discovery of another player card variation which i've never seen documented or discussed before, and this other collector didn't know about it either.

so i'll keep you guys in suspense for a little awhile, got some work to do, but when i come back in a bit i'll post scans of the "new" discovery. image
  • Options
    Thanks to all.

DialJ sent me an attachment which explains all the variations.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    1969 Topps #348 Steve Hargan......first set of f/b appear to be standard examples....i've included two examples of each card, so it can be assumed that the next set wasn't just a random print flaw

second set, same card except front image shows a spot on his neck which appears the same on each card, and.......

......a prominent black dot in the same location on each back in the white area of the stat lines.

dunno if anyone else has recognized this so-called variation, but it does seem to exist.....i have a few more examples of the "black dot" card as well as the regular card.....maybe someone else with 1969 Topps Baseball expertise has seen this, so please chime in.

also included a couple examples of the Popo card with the partial emblem showing and the variation backs, one with complete stats and the other with a portion washed out.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    DialJ---would be interested in seeing your list.

BR--was not aware of 3d Mantle or Perry...have the rest. The whites are 440/442/444/447/451/452/454/461/464/468/470/471/473/476/482/485/386/491/493/500/501/511

On the Perry..is it a 8 botched on the back ?. On the Mantle I assume it is it W/O the CR that is the scarce one ?

I also have the 2 different card 567s, Pirate Rookies...one with black ink around Rookie Stars on the front, and the other with no black ink.

Itzagoner...neat find on the Hargan ..how scarce is it ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al