Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1968 PSA 10's

I am so excited I thought I would share it. I just purchased 7 PSA 10 1968 cards for my registry set. Although I dont need these for my set they are upgrading 8's. This was a big win for me as you know I have to go head to head with alot of great guys including Ron and his number 1 and 3 set. Although I am not sure I will catch him(currently I am #4) I will have fun trying to. I not sure what will be harder catching him or convincing my wife I need to. Thanks to all I have purchased from. Dan Markel, Gaspipe and Quality comes to mind but also all else.

Thanks Dave
Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com

Comments

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Stump,

......and just when I completed a submission of 300 1968s and concluded I ought to get enough 9s to move me back to fourth place. This is a competitive year with lots of quality material but apparently a core of serious collectors.

Good luck.

Davalillo
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Nicely done Stump. Was this a private purchase or at Nationals?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Yes, please give more details!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Dave - Great going! Glad to have helped you on your journey to completion!
    Who were the PSA-10's? ...jay
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Ok here is the scoop. The tens were had from a ebay connection that I have bought from in the past. They are high pop tens if there is such a thing. Cards are 461,467,474,492,511,512,522. They replace four 9's and three 8's. I originaly thought they replaced 8's but I guess I have got more nines than I thought. I need 56 more cards to complete. I have 28 8's and 5 9's in route I have not yet registered. I also have 3-8's to upgrade 7's and 8-9's to upgrade 8's in route that also have not been registered. I have 14 cards I need submitted to psa last week along with 86 more that I hope to get some 9's from. I got these at the national and some of them are the best I have seen. I also am currently winning 9 auctions on ebay that I need and 13 more that I hope to use as upgrade from 8 to 9.
    If all works out in the next two weeks I should be down to less than 30 cards. Well I confused myself so I probably confused you guys. Thats the update on my set I am going to the gilbraltor trade center in detroit soon to see if I can get this set finished in 8 or better by christmas.

Thanks Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

If there are ever any cards in my 1968 set (Wayne's 1968 topps) please let me know and I would be happy to help you out. The last 5% is a lot of funimage'
    Good luck,

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Stump,

Congratulations! You are now a serious "player" on the '68 Topps Baseball Registry scene and I'm very glad I was able to help you!

I do have a few 8's that you need plus some 9's. Please e-mail me.

Dan

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Stump,
    Great job on picking up those 10's you are lucky to find someone that has (7) of them to sell you.
    I am only #20 on the 68 set but I am slowly moving up thr board. Right now I only have about 20%
    of the set complete I have (97) 9's and (18) 10's with 2 more 10's on the way next week. Right now I
    have 6 of those 7 cards that you just picked up I don't have card #512 yet but I'll have one soon enough.

Good luck on finding the rest of the cards you need and upgrading your set and if your
    EBAY connection may have any 68's PSA 10' s that I may need feel free to pass along
    my email address to him lannyjr@earthlink.net

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Where are all these 10s coming from?
  • Options

I believe the seven I bought were from a set on the registry right now. I have not confirmed this yet but when I recieve I will know if the set is minus 7 10's. His set is there for viewing so I will keep you posted. Also Dhcards from ebay has had alot of vending put up and has submitted and recieved a large group. His auctions are running now I won 3 9's from him this weekend and bought a fourth from him via email. He also has a christmas auction coming up with quote many 10's and low pop 9's. This guy has good stuff and his cards are solid. He knows that there are differant levals to and 8(example an 8 that barely qualifies and a 8 that just misses a 9) I like this guy and have done good deals with him.

On a another know once again Dan Markel steps up and helps. He emailed me and sold me three I needed 2 8's and a 9 and also sold me 7 -9's for upgrade at reasonable prices. I have not met this guy in person have only done deals with him via email for I think now two years but this guy is a stand up guy and knows his cards Thanks once again Dan.

Wayne Thanks for the offer I will view your set> I met wayne at the national and he is what he is a super guy. My wife and me were buying at Triple S 's table when I met wayne trying to negotiate a 65 perez 9. He took the time to direct me to talbe that I bought 17 cards from all in 9. He was even willing to walk me to the table if I wanted. You dont find guys like this everyday. Thanks Wayne you once again showed your true colors CLASS!!!

Oh and if your wondering about the wife at the national with me. We have a deal I dont say a word about her vintage barbies(pricey)(got one in) and she keeps quiet about my sportscards. Its a pretty good deal most of the time.

Well once again thanks for all who have helped I am now down to 43 cards so I guess the chase is on.

Dave
  • Options
    There was a dealer at the National who had cut card cases (8000+) of each year '68, '69, and '70. Could be interesting to see what that does to the pop report in the next little while...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    Crazysc: Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is a "cut card case"?
  • Options
    Also called a bulk vendor case - basically a case where the cards have been dropped into the case with no other protection - three rows on the bottom, followed by three in the middle and three on top, nothing in between them. I've actually found these to be BETTER than standard vending cases if they haven't been banged around, because you don't have the damage from the cards being crammed into vending boxes...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    Thank you, crazysc! Learn something new here every day.
  • Options
    Stump,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I wish you the best on your '68 set.

Sol,

I'm wondering if those '68, '69 and '70 vending runs were the same ones that were just sold by a Houston dealer to a nationally known dealer? The numbers don't match exactly, but the years do. In this sale there were only about 8,000 cards total and all of the stars were pulled. There's quite a story regarding these vending cards.

• Options
    I wish that I had known about that deal Dude, I might have been interested. Keep me in the loop

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    The same, but the deal was for 25,000 cards. I think it was originally sold for $12k. Now, MUCH more...
  • Options
    Sol,

I actually bought many of those cards in 1999 - at least 1,000 in fact.

I'm having a hard time recalling exactly how many there were, but 25,000 is way too many. As I recall there was a 5,000 and a 3,000 count box of '68's, a 5,000 count of '69's and another 3,000 box of '69's and 70's mixed. Most of these boxes weren't completely full either. The 70's were only the last series.

The owner told me he actually bought them the year they were issued. He told me that he drove from Houston to Dallas and picked them up from a distributor each year. He pulled the stars out years ago and put the commons in 5,000 and 3,000 count boxes and put them in storage. In the mid-90's a teenager broke into the storage building and stole these boxes of commons. He took them to another shop in Houston and sold them all for $1000 (but don't hold me to that figure, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was). The true owner of the cards reported them stolen and the other shop owner came clean and reported that he received them and everything worked out OK (except for the kid that stole them). When I heard about these cards, I had asked the original owner if he was willing to sell any and he told me - sorry I'm not interested in selling them.

In 1999, I went to this dealer's shop and asked again about them and this time he said that it would be OK to sell some. I ended up buying over 1,000 cards over a six week period. I looked at most of the cards with a 10X lighted magnifier before I bought them and cherry picked them pretty good. The '69s had some bad centering problem. I think I only graded about 60 different cards for my collection. The '68's were real nice. He didn't have any cards from the last series. As I mentioned before, the '70s were the last series only. So this recent buyer did not get "virgin vending". I graded most of them and sold the rest in raw form. I won't disclose my results, it was pretty good to say the least.

If he sold only 8,000 cards (as I was told) I'm wondering now if this dealer kept some and just sold a large portion of the run to this other dealer?

But you are right Sol - it will be interesting to follow the Pop Report and see what shows up in the next few months.
  • Options
    Dan,

Don't know...what I was told was that there were 25,000 cards and pretty even distribution between the years (which would match up to the cut card cases I'm familiar with, having 8000-8500 cards/case). I'm quite certain I was quoted 25,000 cards, since the offer was for a fixed $$ amount based on a per card basis.

Of course, I had to inform the seller (actually a "broker" at first) that there wasn't a chance in hell his estimates were going to hold out of 20% 9s and the rest 8s - even without any possibility of cherry picking! Just way too many terribly o/cs in those years (esp. '69s) to come even close. Not to say the least - I have/had no interest in spending $150K on grading for the lot!!
  • Options
    BTW - if there was an untouched case of '70s that wasn't initially known, that would get the numbers up close to 25,000...
  • Options
    Sol - Hmmm. I guess we can agree that there were a lot of cards in this deal. I didn't see the cards and money change hands so who really knows except the buyer and seller. Sometimes card transactions are no different than fishing stories. As every week goes by, the cards (or fish) get bigger! image
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dan,
    The total amount of cards in the old cut card cases were something like 12000 per case. So with 3 years involved most of these were probrably picked through already wouldnt you think? In addition they were also by series so I would think that the cards would be in a # grouping. What do you think?
  • Options
    I believe you are talking about two different kinds of cases. The normal vending cases that most people are familiar with contained 12,000 cards - 24 500ct boxes. Back then, they would have contained one series. A dealer selling sets back then would have to plan his orders for the next released cases carefully to make sure that he was going to have enough to cover the sets he was eventually going to need. Cut card cases are different I believe. I think these were simply made up of extras that Topps had laying around, and could contain a number of different combinations of series, or just one.