Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

with the growing popularity of Wrestling Cards, i wish there were some 1980s Tennis Cards to collect

being a huge fan of 1980's tennis (not so much after the 80s), i wish there were mainstream cards produced to collect
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Eric ... here is the extent of my Tennis Card Collection! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have read my mind.

I just bought a box of 86 Panini looking for Mike Tyson's Rookie card and I plan to sub some of the Tennis cards. There is the rookie card of Steffi Graf and cards of Chris Evert and other big names.

I think they could do very well.

I also plan on subbing some guys like Greg Lemond from cycling and Carl Lewis from track.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>Eric ... here is the extent of my Tennis Card Collection! LOL

image >>

LOVE IT!!!
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>You must have read my mind.

I just bought a box of 86 Panini looking for Mike Tyson's Rookie card and I plan to sub some of the Tennis cards. There is the rookie card of Steffi Graf and cards of Chris Evert and other big names.

I think they could do very well.

I also plan on subbing some guys like Greg Lemond from cycling and Carl Lewis from track. >>

NICE! is Becker in the set?
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris Evert had a card back in 1974...... for her true RC, Martina Navratilova has a card in 1982, but yes there is a Steffi Graf RC in there
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I really don't know who is in it.

There is no complete checklist you can find online and I looked at buying a sticker album with them in it but you can only read the British listings and I don't know if there is any difference between the two other then language.

I have 600 chances of finding a nice sticker so any star could be a good hit.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad somebody started this thread. I think I'm one of a handful of tennis card collectors on this board. The '86 panini supersport set has a McEnroe & Becker card. The '87 set has the Agassi rookie - which is tough to find in good shape. The 1987 Fax Pax set has a great selection of 80's tennis players - I bought several of these a while back. You can find just about any tennis card you want on eBay for a very fair price. I've enjoyed collecting some vintage tennis too. The 1920's Cope & Churchman sets are fantastic!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    I just sold an Arthur Ashe 1970 Panini card (not sticker) on ebay for $50. I still think that is a good price considering who it is and how rare the card is.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The 1979 Venorlandus set has some tennis players, though I'm not sure if it's any of their rookies. 1977-79 Sportscaster has many of the tennis stars of the 1970s and before. I think 1979 Golden Wonder also has some tennis players.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Also, the 1985 Question of Sports set has both tennis players and a Tyson card.

Jeff
  • Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Not sure what the etiquette is in regard to just posting other people's sets, but this one has some interesting cards in it that I didn't know existed...

LINK
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure what the etiquette is in regard to just posting other people's sets, but this one has some interesting cards in it that I didn't know existed...

LINK >>

That's one of the best tennis collections I've seen. Thanks for sharing that.

Jeff
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about getting into the bowling card market before it hits big.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Tennis cards are dirt cheap. Here the ones i've picked up for my HOF collection from sports other than the big 4. The only card that i', missing is Borg from the 70s. I'm not a huge tennis fan so only picked a few players that were popular enough for me to know who they are. The only player i didn't really know was Rod Laver... but from what i've read he one of the all time greats.

Roger Federer 2003 Netpro Tennis 90
    Rafael Nadal 2003 Netpro Tennis 70
    Pete Sampras 1991 Netpro Tennis 7
    John Mcenroe 1981 Panini Sport Superstars Tennis 316
    Jimmy Connors 1981 Panini Sport Superstars Tennis 319
    Arthur Ashe 1970 Panini Campioni Dello Sport Tennis 333
    Andy Roddick 2001 Netpro Tennis 1
    Andre Agassi 1987 Panini Tennis 199
    Rod Laver 1970 Panini
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck is this the checklist you are looking for ?? http://oddlyquirky.com/trackandfield/cards/c_panini_supersport.html

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    I have a 1970 Rod Laver that I would sell if you are interested...just have to find it.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a handful of the 70's and 80's tennis stickers by panini. Off the top of my head I have Conners, Becker, Borg and a few others. As others have said, they are really inexpensive and alot of fun to collect.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that checklist. I am really not certain if it is the right one. The foil cards are in the UK set and I am not sure if they are in the Italian I purchased. If that is it I will have to do some digging to find out who might do well graded.

The box I bought is 1986 Panini and PSA has it graded as 1985. The Mike Tyson is indeed sticker number 153 but that holds true for both the Italian and English versions. I found some completed sticker books online over on the EBAY UK site and the EBAY Italy site and there were 1986 and 1987 that looked very similar.

I should have the box early the following week as it takes a while from Cyprus.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 1970 Rod Laver that I would sell if you are interested...just have to find it. >>

I have the 1970 panini Laver but would be interested in 1968 Mira Laverm. Also would buy 1974 panini Borg

What was the 1970 ashe card? Who was the manufacturer? I only thought he had a 1970 panini card.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Your right, I had the Panini Ashe card. I do not have the Mira Rod Laver only the 1970 Panini as well.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big tennis player/fan and I like collecting autographed cards (rookies when possible).

Here's a few tennis ones that I've gotten scanned in (I have a bunch more sportcasters and quite a few in the mail):

My Signed Tennis Cards

The other posters are correct with the sets that are collectable (at least the ones I collect anyhow!) I have a spreadsheet with the earliest cards I've seen on ebay of the various hall of famers, it's not complete or overly accurate but a start. If you'd like me to e-mail it to you pm me you address.

Some of the bigger sets that have players you are probably interested in are from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Some of the main sets you might want to take a look at for tennis cards are:

60's:
    Mira, Campennelo de sports

70's:
    Lots of panini runs in 70-74
    Sportscasters (nice cards, but oversized)
    1979 Venorlandus

80's
    Lampo (80), Panini (82)
    86-88 Kraft, Panini, fax-pax
    89-92 Sports illustrated for kids

90's
    1991 Netpro was the first full set of tennis cards but had lots of players from the 80's (or at least late 80's) in it
  • Options
    JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
    I collect John McEnroe cards and am wondering if anyone can help me ID what year these cards are:

Panini
    Panini
    Panini
    Gigante sticker (no scan of back)
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    The first 3 are from 1994, I don't recognize the third one.
  • Options
    JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Thanks Alex.
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.