Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about All Star Cards Monthly

Do they negotiate prices if you call them and make an offer on a single card?

I enjoy getting the monthly catalog but at the same time the cards I want seem to always be 20-30% or so above VCP or what I can get on eBay. I want to buy from them out of principal but am wondering if I can be a more market relative price if I call them. For example, I am looking at a PSA 3 Ernie Banks 1954 Topps rookie but it is listed at $269.95 + s/h. VCP on this card is $193.86. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium since again I love the catalog.

Before I call, I was just wondering if anyone here has experience negotiating down closer to VCP or are they firm on the pricing.

Hook'em

Comments

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Do they offer Hockey?
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    I like the catalog as well.. But I will be interested what others say, because I too think the price is a little higher then elsewhere.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Digging a little deeper into VCP shows only 2 auction sales for the card in PSA 3 in 2011. They sold for 255 and 278.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I like All Star Cards montly auction (although things tend to get really high up in there usually). The main downfall into bidding on the cards in the auction, is that for alot of them, you are bidding on them sight unseen. Hard to pay a premium for centering when you don't know how the centering is. The BUY LIST is really good as well. Some cards they are paying more than VCP average!
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Yes but the focus is baseball.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>Digging a little deeper into VCP shows only 2 auction sales for the card in PSA 3 in 2011. They sold for 255 and 278. >>

Thanks for heads up. I will check that out.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I have purchased and traded with them and have been very satisfied. Craigs customer service is great, the items ship fast and he offers a satisfaction guarantee. For picturs of cards not shown, I will call and ask about centering and get a fair estimate.
    He neogotiated a lower price on some cards too. I think it depends how much has been in his inventory.
    His buy prices on some cards is pretty stong. As an example I sold a few cards on EBAY and got less than if I had just called him and got the cash. Some buy prices are a little lower but at least he is a buyer where some folks say they buy and dont.
    I like to get the most for cards but at it is another outlet to get the deal done and move on to get some guaranteed cash to purchase something else. One has to know the market if they are buying or selling cards.