Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question: Best Consigment/Auction House? Recommendations?

Hey Everyone...looking for some assistance in choosing an auction/consignment house to sell a 1975 Cincinnati Reds Team signed ball. All signatures in matching blue ink...with a personalized letter from the former owner of the Reds. The ball is in perfect condition...and is in the original box that it shipped in...with the personalized letter.

I'm a pretty small time eBay seller...and think this is something that maybe I should sell through a reputable house. Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's definitely an auction house item. It gets far more more publicity that way, and there aren't so many buyers for them that you could expect it to receive full value in the short time period of an ebay auction.

Robert Edward Auctions is fantastic. They also just had their auction for the year.

I'd consider Huggins & Scott, Leland's, or SCP.

There are some auctions that are strong for cards, but I'm not sure how they do for memorabilia, so I can't give a recommendation on them.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I think you might just do this through an ebay consignment like PWCC or Probstein. I guess I don't know how much this ball is worth. I don't think it makes sense to go to one of the bigger auction houses unless your item is rare or worth at least $500. Otherwise the fees will eat too much into your profits. Places like SCP and REA typically a have a 15% consignor's fee on top of a ~20% buyer's premium. This basically means that the auction house keeps ~35% of the total price of your item. If you have high value items or consign very early, you might be able to negotiate them down from these prices. My favorite auction house is Goodwin for prewar cards, but they're typically more selective in the items they choose. For example, they don't take most GAI-graded cards. Goodwin has 0% consignment fee, which I like.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 992 ✭✭✭
    On behalf of a friend, I consigned a number of items to Hunt Auctions. My friend's father was a former major league groundskeeper who had accumulated quite a few items over the years, including items from the Reds during the Big Red Machine years. They put the less valuable items in their monthly auction and the more expensive items in their quarterly (I think) live auction. We were very pleased with the sales results in the two auctions. Also, Hunt handled everything in a very professional manner. You can see the results in this stuff at Hunt Auctions website, Lots #'s 232-242. Autographed balls were included. Hunt had the integrity to return to us several autographed balls that they deemed to be clubhouse signatures, rather than trying to include them in their auctions.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a couple scans of the ball & letter..........

Thanks

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    Thanks everyone for the info! I will definitely put up some pics of the ball and letter before I sell it.

Actually its been resting comfortably at my parents house for the past 20 years. I'm going to be picking it up this weekend.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Huggins & Scott is on the top of my list.