Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why even have the "best offer" option? (707)

So everyone knows that 707 has a monopoly on PSA graded Mantles, and he has a nicely centered PSA 6 57' listed @ $760 or "best offer". So I offered $600, and he countered with ..... $740? Twenty bucks off? Really? Why even have the 'offer' option to begin with if the intent is to sell it at almost full listing price? Thanks, but no thanks, and back to his virtual card museum it went. *rips fart*

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    mostly takes off $5 when I make an offer..he must like ya
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    If we could only paste your statement next to an asterisk of the BIN button on 707 auctions image

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if I was wealthy beyond my wildest dreams, if I am going to take the time to list something, even if I am the patient type, I'm going to try to move it at something reasonable. I don't understand that logic at all. On the other hand, they are his cards so he can ask what he wants for them.

Shane

• Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    nevermind, it has been removed from listings.
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I dunno, was $600 unreasonable for that card in PSA 6?
  • Options
    Why don't you do a VCP reference

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    he cares not that you carry on nor carry out, but simply that you venture in again and again.
  • Options
    It's classic monopolization by cornering the market, once established you can manipulate the market price by holding tight.
    707 is testing the law of demand with his prices.

You can't blame the guy, he has nothing to lose obviously, if others followed his lead the prices of our cards would likely increase with due time.
    It's looking like BIN's are following this trend for the most part.

<< <i>Even if I was wealthy beyond my wildest dreams, if I am going to take the time to list something, even if I am the patient type, I'm going to try to move it at something reasonable. I don't understand that logic at all. On the other hand, they are his cards so he can ask what he wants for them. >>

• Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Last four sales:

3/3/11 Clean Sweep Auction $611.00
    1/18/11 eBay Auction $437.51
    1/4/11 eBay Auction $460.99
    1/1/11 eBay Auction $392.00

Notice the high one was not on Ebay.

I think $600 was an adequate offer, but like others said......it's not my card.

Rodney
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It was not a horrible offer. I am sure you thought that he would counter at $700 and then maybe settle on $650-$675.
  • Options
    bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭

<< <i>It was not a horrible offer. I am sure you thought that he would counter at $700 and then maybe settle on $650-$675. >>

Not at all. "Best offer" was just that: my best offer; and based on VCP data a generous one at that.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I think it was a great offer! All Star Cards is currently paying $400 for that particular card in that particular grade. The OP offered $200 above them. VCP average is currently around $435 and the all time record is $611 (according to VCP). Levi just has no motivation to make "just" a profit. He rather "gouge" people and set a record on every single card he has. I offer him a high price on a 1953 Satchell Paige card. He knocked $5 off. He must have accidentally thought his card was a PSA 4/5 instead of the PSA 2 it was graded as.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    See something you like on Ebay, go to their website. They'll do better with the price. Still not great, but better.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    At the risk of joining yet another 707 thread, the guy has a BO for one reason only - to get you to start negotiating. He says 750, you say 600, he says 740, you say 650....... before long he has you WAY over VCP.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made an offer on a 63F PSA 9 card - 10% off - and he took it.

Of course - it depends on what the card is - and the Mantles may be his sacred cow?

On that note - I made 3 offers to a guy - the last one being 10% off - and it was declined - and since it happened instantaneously - there must be an "auto" reject option for sellers?

As a buyer - I like ebay.
    Mike
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see how he keeps all his cards from fading after being taken to so many shows. I guess he has so many he can shuffle them around.
    It seems he fallows VCP average and what not bc hes always 150-200% above the mark always!
    Oh well If he can let him.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> he has a nicely centered PSA 6 >>

Nicely centered cards do not generally sell for average prices.

Your offer was fair, IMO. He wants more for a better than average card.

I'd do the same.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I've made an offer to him once, his counter was funny. i bought a raw card and had it graded for about 60%. He's not for me, but if I really wanted something, he's there so that's worth something.
    I'm glad he's in business, I'm thankful he can hold his inventory, one day I may have to have something he's got. Plus he's worth at least a thread a month.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Plus he's worth at least a thread a month. >>

In the current economy, he's been getting three!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Plus he's worth at least a thread a month. >>

In the current economy, he's been getting three! >>

I think he enjoys the attention... any press is good press right???
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    There's currently 16 PSA 6 NQ 1957 Mantles BIN on Ebay ranging from $540 to $785, and 1 auction currently at $335.
    If you want to spend $600 or less there are 6 BIN to choose from including one at $600 from 707.
    If the card quality doesn't matter to you then the $540 one is the obvious choice out of the 6.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think for him it depends on how liquid the card is more than how long he's had it and what he may have into it. I may be in the minority, but I've had a few positive experiences with him. The most recent was a BIN at $450 and I managed to pick it up for $350. There was no VCP for the PSA 4 Coveleski I purchased, but a PSA 3 sold for $300, so I think I did OK for the PSA 4.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    By holding some of the inventory forever...he is not maximizing his profit whatsoever. On a unique or rare card he should hold out for great money; but a 57 Mantle is a dime a dozen. Make a nice profit and move on...if I were him. He can replace most cards easily. Someone mentioned about fading- when I saw his cards awhile ago many were faded...so yes light all the time can hurt the cards. These were Mantle's from 58-69.

They're his cards and he can do what he wants. His prices are the dollar store compared to Deans Cards.