Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Applying lessons learned from this Forum!

Walked the Sun Times show floor 1,213,789 times Friday through Sunday... trying to buy, but finding little to satisfy my needs. I did pick up some key modern rookie cards raw of my beloved Packers that I submitted at the show under the CC $6 special. Got a bunch of Packers autographs, including 2 SB XLV full tickets that I had individually signed by Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews (which I also subbed to PSA for authentication, grading & slabbing).

I've heard this stated time and time again on these forums, but I never truly faced this issue before in having to make a serious purchase consideration... but now I'm a believer! What's that saying again??? "Buy the card, not the holder!"

I had a list of 17 cards I was looking to purchase from. I did my research, got the VCP average on them all, and also jotted down the last 5 sales of each. Of all the tables there, I only found dealers with 7 of the 17 cards I was looking for (in the PSA grades I was looking for)! For as large as the show was, I was a little disappointed in the card selection available there. Way too much dealer emphasis on shiny stuff. I know there is a market for that stuff... I'm just not a buyer in that marketplace!

So one card I really wanted I finally found at a dealers table.... 1976 Topps Walter Payton PSA 9. Fortunately for me, it was in a display case next to 2 of the same card (a BGS 8.5 & a BGS 9, if memory serves correctly). I remember how bright and vivid the coloring was on the BGS 8.5. Gorgeous card. The BGS 9 was pretty nice too, not as nice of coloring, but better centered. Then there was the PSA 9... the card I wanted to buy... horrible color and clarity. Compared to the other 2, it looked like a card that had been faded from years in direct sunlight. I thought the dealers initial asking price was relatively fair... and I had an offer in mind that I too thought was fair... but I never got to make that offer.

At the end of the day... it came down to that old saying I've heard dozens of times... buy the card, not the holder... so I passed on attempting to purchase the card and spent my money elsewhere.

Instead of buying that card, I spend $20 less then I was going to offer on the Payton and picked up these two beauties!!!

imageimage

I actually ended up spending that $20 on my only other graded card purchase at the show (a 2009 Topps Clay Matthews RC PSA 10). I hoped to buy more there... but I just couldn't seem to find what I was looking for!

Cheers,

-E

Comments

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I like the Aarons!! Can I ask how much you gave for them?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    splendid looking cards.....as a huge fan and collector of the Real Home Run King, i support this decision.

you'll have far more opportunities to find a Payton rookie which meets your expectations.
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the Aarons!! Can I ask how much you gave for them? >>

$280 on the 1963, $200 on the 1964
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    You did well. Nice cards. Fair prices for a show.
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I was at that show Sunday. I had some of the same feelings. I went home with money in my pocket. There just were not the cards I wanted in the grades I wanted at the price I wanted.

It was also tough to find raw cards at reasonable prices to submit for grading. I think I subbed only 8 cards that I purchased at the show, the rest I brought with me.

Awesome Aaron cards.
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on two really superb pickups E!

Both look great with nice centering.

You have learned well.
    Mike
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Great looking cards and you can never go wrong with PSA 8's in those conditions.