Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

O-Pee-Chee not in PSA Set Registry Basic Player Sets?

I am curious as to why this is. Leaf is in the PSA Set Registry Basic Player Sets, but not O-Pee-Chee? O-Pee-Chee came in packs, just like Leaf and O-Pee-Chee has the Topps connection, which should be much stronger than the Leaf to Donruss connection. It doesn't make much sense to me. A precedent is set by including Leaf, so O-Pee-Chee should be included as well.

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    +1
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Are Leaf products prior to 1990 included in Basic Player Sets?
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are Leaf products prior to 1990 included in Basic Player Sets? >>

They are in the handful I looked at. Cal Ripken Jr. for example.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...seems odd that Leaf is in there for some, but not all. I thought Leaf was only added to Basic Sets after 1990 since it was a different design.

Learn something new every day.

I suppose it makes sense financially for PSA to add as much as they can to the Basic Sets since that's what seems to have the widest audience in the player sets.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Leaf is in my Hershiser Basic Set- '85, '87, and '88. No '86 though since one hadn't been graded when I requested the set.
  • Options
    To me it should be the base card of any licensed set released in pack form, which would include O-Pee-Chee and even 1990 Fleer Canadian.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's always bothered me that the 1990 OPC Thomas rookie isn't a part of his Rookie Set.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Have you tried sending a request? Click on "Report a cert that should match this composite" and there is an option to add a new slot. They usually add it within a few weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>Have you tried sending a request? Click on "Report a cert that should match this composite" and there is an option to add a new slot. They usually add it within a few weeks. >>

Sounds easy enough, but it's a pretty big change. I'm sure people have tried this before? In my opinion, it's pretty inconsistent not to include O-Pee-Chee and 1990 Fleer Canadian in their Base Set/Rookie Set Registries.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    O-Pee-Chee Baseball does not get the hobby love it deserves.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Times might be a changin'. The new Oscar Gamble registry included O-Pee-Chee.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My view is that the basic set should only include the single main card of the player issued in the given year. For vintage, that would be Topps in most cases but could be Bowman if a particular player wasn't represented in Topps for the given year. Master sets should be where multiple cards of the same player in the same year should be required.
  • Options

<< <i>My view is that the basic set should only include the single main card of the player issued in the given year. For vintage, that would be Topps in most cases but could be Bowman if a particular player wasn't represented in Topps for the given year. Master sets should be where multiple cards of the same player in the same year should be required. >>

Wouldn't that be a Topps Base Set Registry? Topps doesn't have ownership of all basic base sets ever, nor are they always considered a players "main" card in any given year.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    in my Butler basic set, I have:

'85 Leaf
    '86 Leaf Diamond King
    '87 Leaf
    '90 Leaf

'85 OPC
    '86 OPC
    '87 OPC
    '88 OPC

Still need to find an '89 & '90 OPC
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>in my Butler basic set, I have:

'85 Leaf
    '86 Leaf Diamond King
    '87 Leaf
    '90 Leaf

'85 OPC
    '86 OPC
    '87 OPC
    '88 OPC

Still need to find an '89 & '90 OPC >>

So, Butler doesn't have a base card in '86 Leaf? I ask because I checked the pop report, and Orel has a DK, but no base card graded. I haven't bothered looking at a CL for that year to see if he actually has a card or not though.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me it should be the base card of any licensed set released in pack form, which would include O-Pee-Chee and even 1990 Fleer Canadian. >>

In the past the Gary Carter basic set included Sportsflics and one day "bang" gone -- only in the master set now.
    Even though they were licensed and in packs I believe they should be in the Master set only.
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, Butler doesn't have a base card in '86 Leaf? I ask because I checked the pop report, and Orel has a DK, but no base card graded. I haven't bothered looking at a CL for that year to see if he actually has a card or not though. >>

nope, just the Diamond King. '86 Leaf only had 264 cards in the set, as opposed to the 660 in the base Donruss set.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I don't have any skin in this game, as I don't do any registry player sets, but how can you argue for including OPC in the base set but not Venezuelan for example? Both are non-US issues, right?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would think that the leaf-donruss connection would be stronger since IIRC leaf and donruss were one company when Beatrice brands bought
    them in the early 80's.

Topps never owned OPC as far a I know. They simply licensed OPC.

Good for you.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My view is that the basic set should only include the single main card of the player issued in the given year. For vintage, that would be Topps in most cases but could be Bowman if a particular player wasn't represented in Topps for the given year. Master sets should be where multiple cards of the same player in the same year should be required. >>

Wouldn't that be a Topps Base Set Registry? Topps doesn't have ownership of all basic base sets ever, nor are they always considered a players "main" card in any given year. >>

Well, it wouldn't necessarily have to be Topps. If Bowman or Leaf is considered the main card, then that would be the one for the basic set. I just think the issue gets convoluted if you talk about needing more than one card of a player in a given year. I don't collect modern but I could imagine there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the basic and master sets. You may need 25 cards of a player for the basic set and 50 for the master set. I guess I'm too much of an old school collector where I view a basic set as being very focused and narrow.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wouldn't that be a Topps Base Set Registry? Topps doesn't have ownership of all basic base sets ever, nor are they always considered a players "main" card in any given year. >>

Well, it wouldn't necessarily have to be Topps. If Bowman or Leaf is considered the main card, then that would be the one for the basic set. I just think the issue gets convoluted if you talk about needing more than one card of a player in a given year. I don't collect modern but I could imagine there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the basic and master sets. You may need 25 cards of a player for the basic set and 50 for the master set. I guess I'm too much of an old school collector where I view a basic set as being very focused and narrow. >>

I think that is why I disagree. People all have their own opinions as to what base cards would be considered a player's "main" card from any given year. I feel all base cards should be included to keep it consistent.
  • Options

<< <i>in my Butler basic set, I have:

'85 Leaf
    '86 Leaf Diamond King
    '87 Leaf
    '90 Leaf

'85 OPC
    '86 OPC
    '87 OPC
    '88 OPC

Still need to find an '89 & '90 OPC >>

Brett Butler doesn't have a basic set according to the registry... only the "basic and collector's set" and the master set (which is where Leaf & OPC belong)
  • Options

<< <i>Times might be a changin'. The new Oscar Gamble registry included O-Pee-Chee. >>

Set Composition
    Issue Card# Weight
    1970 TOPPS N.L. ROOKIES O.GAMBLE/B.DAY/A.MANGUAL 654 5.00
    1971 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 23 4.00
    1972 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 423 3.00
    1973 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 372 2.00
    1974 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 152 2.00
    1975 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 213 2.00
    1976 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 74 2.00
    1977 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 505 2.00
    1978 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 390 2.00
    1979 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 263 2.00
    1980 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 698 2.00
    1981 DONRUSS OSCAR GAMBLE 229 1.00
    1981 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 98 1.00
    1981 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 139 1.00
    1982 DONRUSS OSCAR GAMBLE 360 1.00
    1982 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 36 1.00
    1982 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 472 2.00
    1983 DONRUSS OSCAR GAMBLE 461 1.00
    1983 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 380 1.00
    1983 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 19 1.00
    1984 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 124 1.00
    1984 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 512 1.00
    1985 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 724 1.00

Not the Basic Set.. Only the Master set....
  • Options
    Rules for the Basic Sets:

Basic Player Sets:
    Cards in basic sets include only the most popularly issued manufacturers and are closed for updates. Basic sets do not include cards from Parallel Sets, Insert Sets, or Parallel/Inserts Sets. Special cards and league leader cards are not included.

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL.

Cards for the basic football player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, BOWMAN CHROME, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF (1948-49), PINNACLE, PHILADELPHIA (1964-67), PRO SET, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, SPX, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, TOPPS CHROME, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

Cards for the basic basketball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, FINEST, FLEER/FLEER TRADIITION, HOOPS, SKYBOX, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

Cards for the basic hockey player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FLEER/FLEER TRADIITION, LEAF, OPC, OPC PREMIER, PARKHURST, PINNACLE, PRO SET, SCORE, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, and UPPER DECK.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Times might be a changin'. The new Oscar Gamble registry included O-Pee-Chee. >>

Set Composition
    Issue Card# Weight
    1970 TOPPS N.L. ROOKIES O.GAMBLE/B.DAY/A.MANGUAL 654 5.00
    1971 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 23 4.00
    1972 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 423 3.00
    1973 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 372 2.00
    1974 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 152 2.00
    1975 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 213 2.00
    1976 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 74 2.00
    1977 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 505 2.00
    1978 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 390 2.00
    1979 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 263 2.00
    1980 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 698 2.00
    1981 DONRUSS OSCAR GAMBLE 229 1.00
    1981 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 98 1.00
    1981 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 139 1.00
    1982 DONRUSS OSCAR GAMBLE 360 1.00
    1982 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 36 1.00
    1982 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 472 2.00
    1983 DONRUSS OSCAR GAMBLE 461 1.00
    1983 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 380 1.00
    1983 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 19 1.00
    1984 FLEER OSCAR GAMBLE 124 1.00
    1984 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 512 1.00
    1985 TOPPS OSCAR GAMBLE 724 1.00

Not the Basic Set.. Only the Master set.... >>

Ahh yes...My reading comprehension skills are sometimes lacking.