Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wanted this lot bad.....

Set a high snipe because I felt like gambling and someone had a higher snipe than I did!!

'72-'73 Baseball Lot

On the plus side, I did win the '72-'73 Football lot the same seller had on consignment. Maybe I'll find some hidden treasures. I didn't even think anything about this one and had a low snipe set. I didn't think it had a chance.

'72-'73 Football lot

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are those rubber bands on some of the bricks of cards?
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are those rubber bands on some of the bricks of cards? >>

yes, some of them will definitely be affected but the majority look EX/MT-NM+.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would no better then on the cards you were bidding on just was a little surprised to see that.

Seems like you got a nice deal on the football cards. I don't know the current values but that seems very cheap for that many cards from this era. Good luck on those.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    keep us updated when you get them.....I am sure you are anxious to receive the package.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on the football pickup. Wasn't that a high price for the baseball lot? Let us know how you do. I'd like to see some scans. It looks like you might have a few in the football lot for barfvader.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Nice job on the football pickup. Wasn't that a high price for the baseball lot? Let us know how you do. I'd like to see some scans. It looks like you might have a few in the football lot for barfvader. >>

yeah, I wanted to get the baseball lot for around $800-$900 but I put in a higher snipe because I really wanted to go through all of those '72's and '73's. Kind of like going through 5 vending boxes and not knowing what cards were gonna be there. Apparently someone else had the same plan. The seller is a consignment seller and possibly had no idea as to what was in the lot judging by their feedback. It was a gamble, but I've bought lots like that before off of sellers who really didn't know what cards were in the lot and did really well. I had visions of 7 or 8 NM Schmidt Rookies and a gaggle of '72 Fisk's, etc... image

Now I have visions of Staubach and Stabler Rookies. I know there is at least one Jack Ham rookie, lol.
  • Options
    I couldn't believe how high that snipe was. I was in 3rd place with the $780 snipe and thought I was golden! I guess that when a lot reaches 40 bids there's no way it's going to be a bargain.
  • Options
    let us know how it turns out? good , bad , ok, or ugly.
  • Options
    very curious to see how many stars and rookies are in the lot you won; the baseball lot went for way too much money.
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't believe how high that snipe was. I was in 3rd place with the $780 snipe and thought I was golden! I guess that when a lot reaches 40 bids there's no way it's going to be a bargain. >>

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone (other than a person NEW to Ebay) would bid any other way than sniping. It makes no sense. 40 bids is stupidity (or shilling)
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Many bid that way because they think it will drive other bidders away.

Also, by placing some minimum bids it keeps antsy sellers from shutting an auction down

early because of cold feet or by selling to someone that emails them. It all depends on the item. If I see

something I want and it has no bids I may bid early, if I see the same item and it

already has bids I'll wait and see what happens. Sniping is simply one strategy among many.

Good for you.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I have bid 25-50% of what my snipe will be if there are no bids or just 1 or 2. Like Steve said some sellers will get cold feet if there does not seem to be much interest in their auction.

I have actually won a few that way and my snipe never had to kick in.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Also if you are cheep like me, I usually place a bid directly after I go to one of the sites which "pays me" for jumping through them. Only works with bids places and not snipes. Then I snipe at the last minute as well.. Way to help offset some of the costs.
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I couldn't believe how high that snipe was. I was in 3rd place with the $780 snipe and thought I was golden! I guess that when a lot reaches 40 bids there's no way it's going to be a bargain. >>

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone (other than a person NEW to Ebay) would bid any other way than sniping. It makes no sense. 40 bids is stupidity (or shilling) >>

I put in an early bid to secure some eBates love in case I win with my snipe.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I just don't see how that lot of baseball cards can be worth that much. I am surprised it went that high. The odds that the stars haven't been removed is ZERO. The odds of finding some "tens" is close to zero. The odds of coming out "ahead" on this deal is extremely low. I know you are a gambler but I should think you could find better odds elsewhere. The football lot is a tad better and will probably just take some work to end up "ahead."
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I saw that lot
    If there's a complete 72 set in there then it might be worth it.
    But without seeing more Ryan's etc and without knowing if there's a Schmidt rookie, can't see the logic in paying that much
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Tommy will build it and they will come.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that lot
    If there's a complete 72 set in there then it might be worth it.
    But without seeing more Ryan's etc and without knowing if there's a Schmidt rookie, can't see the logic in paying that much >>

IMO not even close
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    I honestly think disappointment will be the word.
  • Options

<< <i>I honestly think disappointment will be the word. >>

lol, I hope so since I didn't win.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    LOL, I hear ya.