Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pre-war baseball set survey

What 5 pre-war baseball sets do you guys think are the hardest to complete. I am excluding the t206 because of the Wagner. This should be fun just to hear some different opinions on some of these classic sets.

Comments

• Options
    N172
    E107
    E90
    E223
    N690

Good luck with any of the above the E90 should be the cheapest of all to complete.
  • Options
    Old Judge.
  • Options
    N172 is Old Judge and would be harder and more expensive to complete then the T206 set even with the big 4 in it.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Just the California Leaguers alone would make OJ top of the list.
    Other sets-
    Allegheny's
    Just So
    Alpha Engraving
    Tango Eggs

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    The T210 Old Mill Red Border set has to be up there.

It has 640 cards in 8 series . It has the Stengel card in Series 6
    and of course the Joe Jackson card in series 8.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    Griffins:

Do you really think the Tango eggs should be up there? Yes if the mythical Cobb and Wagner and actually proven to exist maybe.
  • Options
    Bobby- I've got one Tango that is uncataloged and probably unique. There are a couple of others that are unique in others collections. As such I don't think it would be possible to complete the set.
    I think there are more cards in the set than we know.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Loaded question...

The T206 set is easily completed if you have the $$ for the big 4.

There are dozens of sets that are basically IMPOSSIBLE to complete...

ie, N172, N403, E223, Just So, Alleghney, J=K Candy, Orange Borders, Base Ball Bats Candy, Punch, Tango Egg, Stevens Firearms, Diaz, 1921 Herpolsheimer, E271 Darby, E286 JuJu Drum, Star Player Candy, R304 Demaree, E125, E107, E123, E222, T4, T5, T204 with square frame, T209 B&W, T213-1, T213-3, T214, T215 Pirates, T216 VE, T231 (obviously), D303 Mothers, D382, 1923 Fleer, W519-2-2, Rose Postcards, etc. etc.

When new "discoveries" are found every few year, its not know what the complete checklist is on these sets... The Alleghney set started off as a complete set and was broken up, it would be tough to put back together, but I guess not really impossible.

PS. Uncataloged Tango, wow nice image
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    The SF Hess cards fascinate me but they are really rare and impossible to complete.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Frank-
    do you think T204 is impossible? Square frames are tough but they do come up, and there aren't that many of them. Now if you add in all the backs it might be....

The uncataloged Tango actually confirms are lot of what you've posted on the set over the years, and raises an interesting possibility of how big the set actually was- quite possibly more than double what is now known.