Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ken Burns' The Tenth Inning

Looks like the documentary is premiering tonight on PBS (check local listing) . Part 1 of 2. Will start from the 94 strike and on from there. I know it's pretty recent news but the guy has some of the best documentaries. Just a reminder for those who are interested.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Tivo ready to go.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Good call! I set the dvr for Tuesday and Wednesday last week, but I forgot it was on.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I am watching it right now. Great look at modern baseball.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Luckily my brother called to remind me about one minute before it started. I think I will watch the original this weekend.......
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget part 2 is tomorrow. I just can't believe Grimsley broke into the ump's locker room through the ceiling to retrieve Albert Belle's corked bat. Gotta love stories like that.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Just watched part I
    Nothing groundbreaking there, no piece of video I haven't already seen many times, no piece of commentary I haven't already heard many times
    I think I'll pass on part II
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I set up both episodes to record. I've got the first 9 innings on VCR I should transfer before the tape crumbles!
  • Options
    Not thrilled that Griffey was so glossed over... or that the first two hours seemed to be heaping with excuses for Bonds, McGwire, etc.

But it was nice to see Torre summed up, to see the context of the Strike and Cal's Iron Man run, and to see them delve into the Latin explosion (and hint at Ichiro and other Asian players in tomorrow's segment).
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>heaping with excuses for Bonds, McGwire, etc >>

With Bonds, it's interesting to see WHY the guy was a cheat and an a*hole.

I don't think they gave any excuses for McGwire or Sosa.

It seems like the next episode will hit the steroid issue head on.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Just think of the money that was made by teams in 1998 when Sosa and McGuire showed up at their stadiums near the end of that season. Every time I see the footage of McGuire going into the stands to hug the Maris family after breaking the record I wonder how they feel now. The show is great and can't wait to see it tomorrow.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    My guess is this will be what they say in part 2...

In 1998 Bonds stats were:

AVG .303
    OBP .438
    SLG .609
    OPS 1.047
    HR 37
    RBI 122
    SB 28

The guy finished 8TH!!!! in MVP voting.

I'm not making any excuses for Barry, but if you believe Ken Burns is making excuses for Bonds venture into steroids in 1999, this is where it starts.
  • Options
    By the way, who was Tom Boswell referring to when he said the HOFer who took the "Jose Canseco milkshake" and hit more home runs than he ever had i his career that year? I've been scouring baseball-reference.com and the only one I can really see that would fit that description is '91...Cal Ripken. I can't imagine Boswell would "out" someone like Cal in this doc so he has to be talking about someone else. Any ideas?
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, who was Tom Boswell referring to when he said the HOFer who took the "Jose Canseco milkshake" and hit more home runs than he ever had i his career that year? >>

This guy does a good breakdown of possible suspects...

story

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>By the way, who was Tom Boswell referring to when he said the HOFer who took the "Jose Canseco milkshake" and hit more home runs than he ever had i his career that year? >>

This guy does a good breakdown of possible suspects...

story >>

Eight through five I could live with. Four through one would really depress me.
  • Options
    Thanks Digicat, glad I wasn't the only one who did some digging. I don't want to think that about Cal either...but since I noticed it, I'm glad someone else did too.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just watched part I
    Nothing groundbreaking there, no piece of video I haven't already seen many times, no piece of commentary I haven't already heard many times
    I think I'll pass on part II >>

I have not seen it yet, but I'm sure I will watch both parts. I lived through it, but I am sure there is commentary I have not heard-interviews with Pedro for one.
  • Options
    I'm thinking that the interviews were done a few years ago. Omar Vizquel was interviewed in one segment, and he was wearing a Giants shirt. 2008 was his last year as a Giant.

• Options

<< <i>I'm thinking that the interviews were done a few years ago. Omar Vizquel was interviewed in one segment, and he was wearing a Giants shirt. 2008 was his last year as a Giant. >>

That is accurate...and also eliminates Andre Dawson from Boswell's statement...he wasn't a HOFer yet.
  • Options

<< <i>That is accurate...and also eliminates Andre Dawson from Boswell's statement...he wasn't a HOFer yet. >>

Possible. I don't know when Boswell himself was actually interviewed.

The only guy on that list who'd have the devil-may-care attitude to say something like that would be Rickey Henderson. Rickey's also the only guy on that list who played with Canseco before or during peek homer years.

However, it's also possible that Boswell misinterpreted what he heard. I'm sure Canseco wasn't ONLY taking steroids, and was probably drinking down harmless protein shakes and other supplements as well. When I was a kid, I remember my dad buying a workout book written by Arnold Schwarzenegger. My dad also got a tub of protein powder that was apparently recommended by the book, and he'd blend it up with various stuff he got at the health food store and called the concoction a "Terminator Shake."

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Directv with DVR...anyone know how to copy to DVD from recorded programs?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have Directv with DVR...anyone know how to copy to DVD from recorded programs? >>

You need a DVD recorder or a PC with video capture. There is no way to copy directly to a hard drive from your DVR (like across the USB port).

Tabe
  • Options
    One of the replies on the story said Reggie Jackson. I think they were teammates in 1987. Very possible.
  • Options

<< <i>One of the replies on the story said Reggie Jackson. I think they were teammates in 1987. Very possible. >>

Reggie doesn't fit the bill at all. He didn't hit very many home runs his last few years. The quote was very clear in stating that this HOFer hit more home runs that year than he ever had. We're basically talking 88-91 here. I'll be honest...because the Boswell interview was conducted before Dawson was elected, it's probably only Cal Ripken or Rickey Henderson. I think Sandberg is less likely because he wasn't playing in the same league and there wasn't nearly the crossover that there is today. Really scary to be honest. Thinking that Cal is a possibility makes me hate myself.

Edited for horrible grammar
  • Options
    Bottom of the Tenth was pretty good. I was surprised that Albert Pujols was completely left out though.

• Options

<< <i>Bottom of the Tenth was pretty good. I was surprised that Albert Pujols was completely left out though. >>

I don't think his story has been written yet with Albert. Everyone else that had time focused on them pretty much has their baseball epitaph written. I don't think Pujols does yet. He may be the best ever or less likely - something changes his story - PEDs/injury etc. Not trying to start that topic in this thread, but I do think his finale is yet to be written.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Is what we have been watching the last 20 yrs or so Baseball?Burns should have stopped at 9.Why ruin a great presentation.My opinion only.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    I think he focused on Bonds too much, but it was still enjoyable. I'm just wondering if the HOF'er who was drinking the Canseco juice will ever be outed.