Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just met Doc Gooden at an auto session

Nice guy, but put on about 40-50 lbs from his skinny Mets days.

And for those curious, it was only $20.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Where was it echo?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Last-Licks

Last Licks is an ice cream/memorabilia chain -- somehow linked with Steiner Sports (maybe they own them)

I think they have 7-8 places in the NYC area

Doc was in Scarsdale

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    For grins I just checked to see who else was coming. Hulk Hogan in May for $110 an autograph. Will someone really pay that much for the Hulkster? image
  • Options
    Hammerin' Hank is coming in June
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    wow
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Why would someone pay $20.00 for Gooden? Maybe to add them with Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez and Steve Howe for the All Coke team I guess.

Seriously, I guess I could see someone paying that for Gooden considering those mid 1980's Mets teams but $110.00 for Hulk Hogan?????????????? YIKES!

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    For the prices some people ask these days, I think $20 is reasonable for Doc.
  • Options
    He was ROY, Cy Young and pitched a no-no.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would someone pay $20.00 for Gooden? Maybe to add them with Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez and Steve Howe for the All Coke team I guess.

Seriously, I guess I could see someone paying that for Gooden considering those mid 1980's Mets teams but $110.00 for Hulk Hogan?????????????? YIKES! >>

$20 to meet Doc and get his auto is a super fair deal!!!!! Bringing up a statement like the All Coke team I think is out of line. Unfortunately doing what those players did was very prevalent during the 70's and 80's and I'm sure there some BIG HOF's who were in that crowd.

brian
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Brian, You avatar freaks me out!

I would pay $20 for a Doc Gooden autpgraph, and I am not much of an auto collector. With the rates that most of these guys are charging today, $20 is nothing!
  • Options
    Being that companies like MAB and JP Sports are charging $20 for bit players only because they were former Mets or Yankees, $20 for Gooden seems reasonable (Cy Young, etc.). If I didn't have to pay the toll to go to Scarsdale, I would have considered it. Gooden did a free signing at Modell's this week, but it was unpublicized and I missed it. It's too bad because I had off from work too!
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    $20.00 is a great price for Doc and a player of his caliber.

At a recent Chantilly show, Ripken auto was in the $150.00 range. Yes, that is correct. I am a big Ripken fan, but
    not for $150.00.
  • Options
    i wonder if he is still using the blow? if he's fat, im gonna guess no.

throw down some splenda on the table and snort it with $1 bills... see if he joins in.

wasted his talent; could have been better than Clemens, oh wait. another druggie.... sigh.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think $20 is bad at all, its not like the guy has salted away the millions he earned and is ripping working class people off!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $10 for Gooden in 1990 in Tampa, so charging only $20 19 years later is pretty good. Mbmiller do you remember getting his auto at old Tampa Stadium?
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if he is still using the blow? if he's fat, im gonna guess no.

throw down some splenda on the table and snort it with $1 bills... see if he joins in.

Cutting edge of humor right there...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a fair price and something I would pay. I like to get autos live otherwise they mean little to me for some reason.

He is not a HOF, but close so that means something. There is a continuum of greatness, its not a either you are a HOF or not. There is everything in between. Both he and Strawberry are quite popular for non-HOFers. So is Mattingly as well.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I got Gooden at The Wiz back in around 1990 or 91. If you bought his new VHS tape you got a free auto. I got 2 of them signed. He was a really nice guy. I wished him luck for the upcoming season and he said thanks.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    Last summer, Gooden's son was playing in the Cal Ripken World Series and Gooden was there all week, just like any other parent.....Actually, I don't know how many people recognized him (or even cared) but for the few people that approached him for an autograph, he was accomodating.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember the Sportscenter where they showed Doc striking out like 15 Cubs batters? I think it was in 1984 and I remember watching some of the nastiest curveballs flying at the batters. They showed some of the batters walking away looking at their bats to see if there was a hole in it.

Doc was one of my favorite players and while his fall was very sad, I still enjoy the memories from his peak years.

Mike
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would totally do $20 for Dr. K.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone remember the Sportscenter where they showed Doc striking out like 15 Cubs batters? I think it was in 1984 and I remember watching some of the nastiest curveballs flying at the batters. They showed some of the batters walking away looking at their bats to see if there was a hole in it.

Doc was one of my favorite players and while his fall was very sad, I still enjoy the memories from his peak years. >>

To add to this..In 1985 my friends dad took us to a game at shea. I was a teenager. It was a dominating masterful performance. When we left the game the 3 of us were in the car leaving the parking lot. We were all silent. We couldnt believe what we just witnessed. It was that powerful. We all left that day knowing we watched something really special.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone remember the Sportscenter where they showed Doc striking out like 15 Cubs batters? I think it was in 1984 and I remember watching some of the nastiest curveballs flying at the batters. They showed some of the batters walking away looking at their bats to see if there was a hole in it.

Doc was one of my favorite players and while his fall was very sad, I still enjoy the memories from his peak years. >>

To add to this..In 1985 my friends dad took us to a game at shea. I was a teenager. It was a dominating masterful performance. When we left the game the 3 of us were in the car leaving the parking lot. We were all silent. We couldnt believe what we just witnessed. It was that powerful. We all left that day knowing we watched something really special. >>

I agree. Doc's 1984-1986 run was truly amazing. 58-19, 2.29 ERA, 9K/9inn, 35 CG, and 13 SHO. If he just pitched 6-7 seasons, he woud have been a modern day Sandy Koufax.

I bought a PSA 10 1984 Fleer Gooden RC a while back and it is still one of my favorite cards.....along with my 1983 TTr Straw PSA 10!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I agree. Doc's 1984-1986 run was truly amazing. 58-19, 2.29 ERA, 9K/9inn, 35 CG, and 13 SHO. If he just pitched 6-7 seasons, he woud have been a modern day Sandy Koufax. >>

This is even more amazing - check out this info:

In a span of 50 starts from August 11, 1984, to May 6, 1986, Gooden posted a record of 37-5 with a 1.40 ERA; he had 412 strikeouts and 90 walks in 404.6 innings.