• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>who cares about Arod.... >>

My guess would be the OP.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    sounds like you answered your own question..
    the 94 red die cut is probably his best
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    no love for the leaf limited?
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    When someone asks what is a player's best rookie card, generally they don't mean inserts. Of course the SP isn't his best RC year card, but it is his best rookie card.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>who cares about Arod.... >>

My guess would be the OP. >>

Ya think?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Im going '94 Leaf Limited over the '94 SP.
  • Options
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several of the people that responded here are claiming that steroids are the main reason AROD, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire hit all the HR's. If this is the case maybe the scouts should be looking to sign the best power lifters in the world and put them on the field. These guys are/were GREAT hitters, I don't care how much you juice, it's almost impossible for even some of the best players to hit a major league curve or catch up with a 95 MPH fastball, roids don't really help with hand eye coordination. They may help reduce injury or help you bounce back from an injury faster. They make you stronger, physically. But hitting a baseball is more about skill than strength.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

<< <i>But hitting a baseball is more about skill than strength. >>

So, it was just a coincidence that Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa began hitting homers at unprecedented rates while they were juicing?

• Options

<< <i>Several of the people that responded here are claiming that steroids are the main reason AROD, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire hit all the HR's. If this is the case maybe the scouts should be looking to sign the best power lifters in the world and put them on the field. These guys are/were GREAT hitters, I don't care how much you juice, it's almost impossible for even some of the best players to hit a major league curve or catch up with a 95 MPH fastball, roids don't really help with hand eye coordination. They may help reduce injury or help you bounce back from an injury faster. They make you stronger, physically. But hitting a baseball is more about skill than strength.

image >>

two words.... Ken Caminiti....

In a Sports Illustrated cover story in 2002, a year after his retirement, he admitted that he had used steroids during his 1996 MVP season, and for several seasons afterwards.
    In 1996 he won the MVP, hit 40 HRs, 130 RBI, and batted .326. He finished a career .270 hitter who generally hit around 15 home runs in a season. He also had all his best home run years in a pitchers park during his 4 year steroid run. Only one other player on his '96 Padres team hit 10 or more homers.

If they can make a mediocre player an MVP, what can they do to a good or great player?
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But hitting a baseball is more about skill than strength. >>

So, it was just a coincidence that Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa began hitting homers at unprecedented rates while they were juicing? >>

No doubt roids contributed some. However, the combination of expansions (93 and 98, surprise), the building of smaller ballparks and the natural progression of bigger/faster/stronger hitters and pitchers (and possibly tighter wound ball) may have contributed more. Look at how many player that had career years in 61-62 (Maris, Cash, Gentile, Davis, et. al.) and 69 (granted the mounds were also lowered).

My gut feeling is that the most significant contribution of roids was keeping players on the field by speeding up the healing of injuries. As far as contributing to homeruns, if steroids increase bat speed then there would be a much stronger argument. It may for some and not for others. Otherwise the only benefit would be from increased body mass.

Unfortunately for A-Rod, his usage coincided with what would have been his most productive years (ages 26-28) and a switch to a more A-Rod friendly hitting park.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

two words.... Ken Caminiti....

q]

Also, Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez.

I wonder about these players that had one incredible season which doesn't quite line-up with an expansion (a la Foster in 77 and all of the 61-62 players) or a new ballpark, etc.
    For example, '87 Dawson and '89 Mitchell. Granted Dawson went to Wrigley in '87 but he never replicated it. How much of it is lightning in a bottle?
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Several of the people that responded here are claiming that steroids are the main reason AROD, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire hit all the HR's. If this is the case maybe the scouts should be looking to sign the best power lifters in the world and put them on the field. These guys are/were GREAT hitters, I don't care how much you juice, it's almost impossible for even some of the best players to hit a major league curve or catch up with a 95 MPH fastball, roids don't really help with hand eye coordination. They may help reduce injury or help you bounce back from an injury faster. They make you stronger, physically. But hitting a baseball is more about skill than strength.

image >>

I agree that you still have to be a great hitter to hit a major league pitch. Steroids just turns those long routine fly balls and warning track shots into home runs.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

<< <i>As far as contributing to homeruns, if steroids increase bat speed then there would be a much stronger argument. It may for some and not for others. Otherwise the only benefit would be from increased body mass. >>

The whole body contributes to bat speed. Great body strength will transate into great bat speed. It doesn't always translate into hits, because you still need to see the ball and hit the ball, but when you've got all-star players juicing up, they can go from good to awesome.

An exception to that rule would be when a guy bulks up so much that it hurts his mechanics and timing, and he never figures out how to cope.

• Options

<< <i>
    An exception to that rule would be when a guy bulks up so much that it hurts his mechanics and timing, and he never figures out how to cope. >>

a la Ruben Sierra
  • Options

<< <i>a la Ruben Sierra >>

Heh, that's EXACTLY who I was thinking of when I wrote that.